PDA

View Full Version : 06/2019 - Antiguo Hotel Europa, Santo Domingo

camaro1257
06-21-2019, 09:38 PM
Antiguo Hotel Europa, Santo Domingo

Antiguo Hotel Europa is located in the old city Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo is about 3 blocks from El Conde.

I thought the hotel was on El Conde but when I arrived I discovered it was quite a walk from Conde. The problem was the hotel had no restaurant so if you wanted food you had to be prepared to travel either by foot or car. This was inconvenient for me because I like hotels that are self contained so I do not have to leave the property if I do not desire to do so.

The lobby was neat but the rest of the appearance of the hotel was mediocre.

The front door is locked from the inside and you have to be buzzed in to enter the property. The receptionist speaks English since this is the Colonial Zone there are tons of tourist.

The hotel is not chica friendly I had to check my guest when I arrived and they kept her cedula. You were only allowed the amount of guest on your reservation.

My room was maybe a 1 and half or two stars

I was hoodwinked and bamboozled by the photographs on the website, the room looked nothing the web photos. WIFI was WHACK the flat screen was very small I didn't even try to watch TV. The walls were dirty and in need of painting.

The view

There was regular street noise during the day but at night it was relatively quiet.

The biggest disappointment was there was no real restaurant

On the fourth floor there is an open air terrace. The is a kitchen but the only serve breakfast in the morning. Breakfast consist of eggs, toasts, fruit, cereal and juice. The breakfast was mediocre at best.

It was supposed to be a bar during the day but I went up there with my date and there was no one to serve drinks.

Conclusion

I have been staying at some pretty decent 4 star Santo Domingo hotels downtown on the Malecon and other locations. This was one of the worst because the web cite photos did not represent the true look of the property. Part of my problem is that I have become used to the luxury of $100 a night rooms but this $90 a night room was no comparison.

I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

sopranostingray
06-21-2019, 10:16 PM
Did you check out the suite on the 3rd floor? They don't advertise it. It's situated facing both streets, so you get 2 balcones. It's super nice and big. All is new in it. Price was $85/night.

camaro1257
06-21-2019, 10:20 PM
Did you check out the suite on the 3rd floor? They don't advertise it. It's situated facing both streets, so you get 2 balcones. It's super nice and big. All is new in it. Price was $85/night.

No, I didn't I don't think I'll be back. There are too many other better options in Santo Domingo.

Al Nyc
06-22-2019, 07:02 AM
Hey Camaro, I enjoy reading your hotel reviews. I was wondering if you ever stayed and done a review of the Palacio hotel on Duarte St. located at the Zona Colonial?

camaro1257
06-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Hey Camaro, I enjoy reading your hotel reviews. I was wondering if you ever stayed and done a review of the Palacio hotel on Duarte St. located at the Zona Colonial?

No I have not, however I will put it on my list. My plans are to do holidays in Santo Domingo once or twice a month so that will fit in just fine.

Thanks

sopranostingray
06-22-2019, 12:27 PM
You paid $90 for one night? Which site did you book with? The regular rooms go for $55/night taxes in.

I'm trying Hodelpa Caribe next month. It's just past the park near where Denny's used to be.

camaro1257
06-22-2019, 04:11 PM
You paid $90 for one night? Which site did you book with? The regular rooms go for $55/night taxes in.

I'm trying Hodelpa Caribe next month. It's just past the park near where Denny's used to be.

Booking.com 2 nights a balcony room

sopranostingray
06-22-2019, 05:34 PM
Booking.com 2 nights a balcony room

So the price was for 2 nights and not one. That makes more sense.