PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Plata devastated by storms

bachag
03-25-2007, 08:58 AM
For those who may be interested-
We have had a week of thunder/rain storms on the north coast. May last another day or two. If you go to www.puertoplatadigital.com you can read about it (spanish) and see photos of the devastation. The first story on the site is intro. Scroll down to the blue writing "leer mas" and click. Photos are here. Unfortunately most of the worst damage happened after these photos were taken. Over 150 homes have been destroyed and hundreds are homeless. Water reached ceiling height in some homes-completely washing away household items. Some areas of Sosua were hit, but not as bad- mostly flooded streets.

blacksultan
03-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Does pussy float....? I'm coming down this week and i'm bringing a net so i can grab some off the top...... lol

Come on dude, this is not a too cool to say and I disagree with it. People have lost their homes and are already struggling down there with some wicked poverty. This is not something to joke about. What if it were your family that lost all of their shit; it wouldnt be so muthafuckin shits and giggles then huh???? You know and I know that the chocha isnt going anywhere.

The Sage
03-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Does pussy float....? I'm coming down this week and i'm bringing a net so i can grab some off the top...... lol

This is not someone I'd want to associate with. The more I think about this comment the more pissed off I become.

weyland
03-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Water reached ceiling height in some homes ...
My first thought was "how was that possible?", then I remembered places I had seen like this:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/656844b65f4ba6e05.jpg

Taken from the newly constructed highway near La Javilla. You can see how much lower than the new street level these homes are so if the water rushes down from the mountain and the overflow from other culverts is diverted into this one it is more than possible. There may be even more vulnerable homes elsewhere.

I imagine that home was once a middle class one (by Dominican standards) next to a fresh stream before all the new development and road building made the area into a shanty town. I won't be looking for a property there. In the dry weather when the water is stagnant this stream (= open sewer) makes the whole La Javilla area stink, and I dread to think what problems they have with mosquitoes.

Cuba Libre
03-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Come on dude, this is not a too cool to say and I disagree with it. People have lost their homes and are already struggling down there with some wicked poverty. This is not something to joke about. What if it were your family that lost all of their shit; it wouldnt be so muthafuckin shits and giggles then huh???? You know and I know that the chocha isnt going anywhere.Ditto .

Cuba Libre
03-25-2007, 12:41 PM
For those who may be interested-
We have had a week of thunder/rain storms on the north coast. May last another day or two. If you go to www.puertoplatadigital.com you can read about it (spanish) and see photos of the devastation. The first story on the site is intro. Scroll down to the blue writing "leer mas" and click. Photos are here. Unfortunately most of the worst damage happened after these photos were taken. Over 150 homes have been destroyed and hundreds are homeless. Water reached ceiling height in some homes-completely washing away household items. Some areas of Sosua were hit, but not as bad- mostly flooded streets.Thanks for the info. I know it's been raining for a while, I didn't know how severe. According to weather.com, the rain is supposed to continue for another week.

kiddfrost
03-25-2007, 04:55 PM
This is not someone I'd want to associate with. The more I think about this comment the more pissed off I become.

Sir please don't get so bent out of shape... Alot of people see tragedy and try to make a lighter side out of it. I do myself, I have to considering where I am. Yes he did step alittle to far over the line but. Take it with a grain of salt. "It's not how you fall. It's how fast you get up that matters." POP will be back on their feet in no time with the help of ISOC's money...;)

whynotme
03-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Sir please don't get so bent out of shape... Alot of people see tragedy and try to make a lighter side out of it. I do myself, I have to considering where I am. Yes he did step alittle to far over the line but. Take it with a grain of salt. "It's not how you fall. It's how fast you get up that matters." POP will be back on their feet in no time with the help of ISOC's money...;)

my son is a volunteer fire fighter 1st response to accidents and i own a towing company and its not un common that while at an accident scene everyone.............cops,firefighters,ambulance personell etc are all making light hearted banter to relieve the tension surrounding the fatality or seriousness of the scene.

agua chico
03-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I really don't think it is in any board memeber's place put down worminthebottle for what he said, considering we all in fact exploit these people for cheap sex.

We joke and make fun of their misfortune all the time, and I think this guy was just extending that. This is not to say that I don't sympathize with the flood victims.

I have heard worse things said about Katrina victims in the USA.

Now, if he had insulted them on another basis, then there would be a problem.

kiddfrost
03-25-2007, 06:58 PM
On a more serious note... How many people exactly lost homes... Did any die in the incident???

WSJ3
03-25-2007, 07:17 PM
I deleted the worminabottle post.

Lets move on and I am sure we can all agree that the storms a not something to take lightly.

Thank you Frank for bringing this tragedy to our attention.

ErikS
03-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Come on dude, this is not a too cool to say and I disagree with it. People have lost their homes and are already struggling down there with some wicked poverty. This is not something to joke about. What if it were your family that lost all of their shit; it wouldnt be so muthafuckin shits and giggles then huh???? You know and I know that the chocha isnt going anywhere.

I'm starting to get a little concerned about one of my favorite chicas. She lives in Puerto Plata with her Mother, three sisters, brother, cousin, (plus two children in the house - ages 1 & 2). I have not heard from her, and her cell phone is dead.

I visted her house once (with Tony Tonka) and my first thought was "I wonder how the hell this place looks during a heavy rain?" :confused:

The house (shack really) is located in a gulley with about 15-20 similar houses that you reached by walking downhill from the street on a dirt path.
I might go over there tomorrow if I don't hear from her.

And right now in Sosua, it's raining heavy again. Last night was some of the heavist rain I've ever seen down here.
Even the condo I rent had water seeping into the kitchen! :eek:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/ErikS_/March2007/beach/DSCF3926.jpg

Fortunately, my kitchen flooding was only caused by a blocked drainage channel. Whe I went outside and cleared it, the water seepage stopped and then subsided.

Only thing I can do now is grab an umbrella (I always bring several from the Dollar Store) and go down to La Passions to "ride out the storm"!:rolleyes:

psriches
03-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey Erik, is it heavier than that January rain we experienced?? Because it seemed like it rained for the entire MLK weekend. A chica friend's family casa was flooded out!!

Vincent Vega
03-25-2007, 10:28 PM
My deepest appologies to those that were offended...and thank you for those who were willing to give me the benifit of doubt about my intentions. Ofcourse i was joking and as a matter of fact i know precisely what it is like to lose one's "shit"...while i do own propety in several locations my main home is in a small town on Maryland's easternshore "federalsburg" middle of know where; and i love it. None the less if you will recall this little town was completely flooded out last year being an outlet for tributaries making their way to the Chesapeake Bay. And yes i said wholly shit when i woke up and found my pooltable, sportcar, and other shit floating around the backyard...not to mention all of my work trucks and shit form my shop...Then i began to laugh....cuzz fuck it....what are you going to do...hold god liable? While not politically correct and by no means an example of good social grace, and yes in fact may even be in poor taste; It was not intended to ruffle anyones feathers and certainly not to piss on the feelings of those that experienced the lost. What can i tell you....i am human...some days i'm an ass...and some days i exhibit the best humanity has to offer. But lets just think about what this site is dedicated to before we crucify old worm on the cross of morality. Ask yourself why ass is so cheap in the DR and what possible sad scenarios could be in place whereby a woman would put herself out there selling the only thing she may see herself having that is of value. We try to stick our dicks in every orfice she has and then try to negotiate her humanity down to the lowest amount of pesos she'll take to swallow one of our loads. Let me be the first to say that i am fully aware that my shit does indeed stink, and while my house is not made completely of glass, i do still leave the stones where the lay. Maybe it is just me but i take every thing i read on this board with a grain of salt. I read a lot of post here and if i were to judge any of your charchters purely on what is written i would not be the onlyone wearing the asshole hat. But i try to keep in mind that the guys here are primarily just a bunch of good folks having a good time. If we were holding the light of morality and good taste up this whole site would then be considered what? Again a thousand pardons to those who don't know me well enoght to know i do indeed posses compassion. It was only a joke....get over it if you can...and if not write me off.
My next line i offer with the preface that i mean this sincerely and without malice or sarcism:
"Everyones shit in here stinks just a lil bit...My turd in this regard may have been worse then some others today..
but who hasn't stunk up the pot once or twice."

Vincent Vega
03-25-2007, 10:54 PM
One last point and piece of personal info.....I am Jamaican...and not from the wealthy hills surrounding Kingston, but from Spanish Town. While i have indeed come a long way...again i know my shit stinks....My lil island is no better than theirs so i do actually feel empathy more over then just sympathy because i have been in their shoes. Many a storm hit....dealt with it...mouned the loss and laughed with Red Stripe in hand and moved on.....

Apos
03-25-2007, 11:01 PM
worminthebottle...nicely put.

i imagine we can move forward now...we all step in it occasionally:)

Tony Badabing
03-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Hell yeah man on 3-22-07 I drove to HOTO MAYOR it was raining cats and dogs......the water was up to the door of the car (bottom part) I was praying for my car not to shut off it seem like there was no drainage system at all it was crazy all the way back to boca chica i was driving through flood waters daaaaaaaam.....

agua chico
03-26-2007, 07:14 AM
Very well said , worm.

Mi nuh like hypocites!! :)

patrk39
03-26-2007, 08:44 AM
'nuff said, worm. I'm sure you are back in everyon'es good graces.

Vincent Vega
03-26-2007, 01:39 PM
My off color post has been removed and the issue has been laid to rest, but now there is just one final thing that must be done.....
I wish to issue a direct appology to blacksultan, BoD Sage, Ricky, and any others that may have been truly offended but did not post a reply.
Since joinig this board I have been informed, educated, entertained, and thouroughly enjoyed many of your post. It was all just a lil misuderstanding for which i accept some of the responsibility. Hind site is 20/20. Perhaps if i had called on some of the information i had read in post since i had gotten here i would have considered that many of you have formed deep bonds, friendships, and a general love for Pop. Perhaps this knowledge would have served to dull the edge on my "tongue in cheek" comment. Like many of you here...i too am a man of means and upon hearing of the devestation i could have easily changed plans to ga anywhere else in the DR or the world for that matter. As edgy as it was; my comment was my way of saying come hell or in this case high water....i was still coming to PoP to support its restaurants, clubs, shops, and hell yeah Chicas. To the gentlemen aforementioned.....i still hold you in the highest regards and would gladly buy each of you any round of any libation you chose on any damn day. The worm lives a very good life and leaves no room for hostility or anamosity. The days are so few and the chicas so damn many. This is a board so eye contact is impossible, but none the less gents....this is the proverbial olive branch and extended hand. You are good shits in my book.

NOW...its laid to rest and the lights are off....on to mongering !!!!!!

Worm at the New Garden March 28th - April 2nd

good hunting fellas.

weyland
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
My off color post has been removed and the issue has been laid to rest, but now there is just one final thing that must be done ...
Things sometimes come out wrong especially when humour is intended. I get flamed about once every two months on average but I am still hanging on in here (just). "Fuggehtaboudit" as they say (more than once) in Donnie Brasco, have a great time on your trip, and tell us all about it with pictures.

WSJ3
03-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I think we went off topic of the weather and devastation in Puerto Plata, but suffice to say that we all believe that this is a tragedy and wish our DR friends and families all the best.

THREAD CLOSED...