PDA

View Full Version : Haina Dominican Republic,voted one of worlds dirtiest cities

Gutter Meat
04-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Haina could be called the capital of lead poisoning for its 85,000 citizens and most particularly for those in the area known as Bajos de Haina. A former battery plant has caused high soil and blood levels of lead (in blood this amounts to lead poisoning). The good news is that there is concerted action to improve the situation.

Bajos de Haina, has been referred to as the 'Dominican Chernobyl'. The Dominican Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources, since its creation in 2000, has identified Haina as a national hot spot of significant concern. According to the United Nations, the population of Haina is considered to have the highest level of lead contamination in the world, and its entire population carries indications of lead poisoning. The contamination is believed to have been caused by the past industrial operations of the nearby Baterķas Meteoro, an automobile battery recycling smelter. Although the company has moved to a new site, the contamination still remains.[1]

MrHappy
04-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Dirtiest is not the correct term, hazardous is more appropriate.

Since I have my business in the same location, I am intimately aware of some of the problems this closed battery plant has created.

What worries me the most is, I don't think the company is going to improve their methods, they just moved the problem to another location.

Cman
04-07-2007, 09:25 AM
there is a closed plant or somthin in Monte Llano also.

gmalet
04-07-2007, 09:29 AM
My Chica lives in Haina. Her baby is always sick from the poor conditions. I visited her casa many times and the living conditions in Haina are very bad.

Beads
04-07-2007, 11:31 AM
My Chica lives in Haina. Her baby is always sick from the poor conditions. I visited her casa many times and the living conditions in Haina are very bad.

She should move.

Dark Knight
04-07-2007, 01:32 PM

You haven't gone to rescue her from the big, bad, lead and poor living conditions?

gmalet
04-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't think she wants to move. She makes enough money to move out of there. Her father has a farm and sells cows. The family doesnt want to move.

She makes good money.

Gutter Meat
04-08-2007, 01:04 AM
lead poisoning is bad

David Smash
04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
I feel for the people in Monte Llano and La Haina. Alot of them are going to have strange cancers. The kind that aren't easily treatable. Also septiciema will run rampant in these areas. If you see jaundice of the eyes shakiness etc in any of the people living there they are in the first stages of what will be very painful ordeal

May God be with them....

Berzin
04-10-2007, 09:30 AM
I just hate to think how those few with the means to leave won't because they do not understand the danger they are putting their current and future kids in by exposing them to lead poisoning.

Birth defects, learning disorders and whatever else have you-it is a recipe for disaster.

I would tell my girls' family to go sell cows somewhere else, because(this may sound cruel but whatever) I see no future having a novia in that situation knowing what our future child WILL have so many problems just from the mother being exposed.

That is of course if you do want to have kids and grow old with her.