PDA

View Full Version : Gringo Times

weyland
04-17-2007, 05:39 AM
The first issue of the Gringo Times, the new English language newspaper for the North Coast of the DR, has appeared (20 pesos to buy a hard copy or free online in PDF format). My first impression (as an ex would-be typographer) is that the typography and graphic layout is appalling! They should be able to do a lot better with current DTP software. This looks like a classroom effort by thirteen-year-olds. I will read some or all of the paper later to see what it is all about, but I can imagine that my abortive career as a typographer may revive once I settle on the North Coast. They sure need someone!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/uploaded/6568/1176802704.pdf

Apos
04-17-2007, 06:43 AM
they could use some help with content too:rolleyes:

weyland
04-17-2007, 07:32 AM
they could use some help with content too:rolleyes:
Yes, and even if you find the "humour" humorous they have not got the balance between humour and information right. I would keep the information and advertisements up front and the humour separately at the back (or treated differently typographically).

I suspect that will we never see a further edition. But if there is one, I think a comprehensive article about the progress of the Dominican Kids charity would be well received. I would like to know where my US$50 went ...

Summit
04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
There is also a Costambar newsletter put out each week i think. I will search for the site