PDA

View Full Version : should I buy that Insurance

bud
09-10-2005, 01:08 AM
I can rent a hyundai or for $26 or a ford tarus for $34, but when you add in that twenty some dollars for insurance it gets steep...do you guys pay that insurance nut?????

gdogg
09-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Check with your credit card company...some cards cover insurance. I've yet to rent a car in the DR, so I'm not an expert.

Jimmydr
09-10-2005, 07:48 AM
I never get the insurance but then again in 35 trips I was in on a rental maybe 5 times.

psriches
09-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Fuck the insurance! If you are a decent driver and trust yourself, just use the insurance on the credit card. Most major credit cards have car rental insurance included.

ajax718
09-10-2005, 02:18 PM
When renting in DR, make sure to have a credit card that has car rental insurance. I rented a car in DR for 33 days this past summer. Since I had one of those credit cards(USAA), my insurance was only $5 a day, instead of $24.
I think insurance is worth having in DR, the drivers down there are crazy. But also keep in mind, if you don't have insurance and damage the car, fixing up a car down there is much cheaper then in the US.

moshy2k
09-10-2005, 05:58 PM
If you have a AMEX card us it. Amex has a program that you call to get. They card you $25 flat fee and cover the entire car even if it is totaled.
I talked to them about being in a 3rd world country and getting in a accident and what would happen if they just charged my card for some fee fo any damage to the car.

Amex told me just allow them to charge whatever they want as long as you have the AMEX $25 total coverage. They told me to call and file a report with them as soon as I get back and they will freeze and remove the charge. And would then require the auto company to file some paperwork before they get paid.

I like this cause I have zero worries and a flat $25 fee is great. Rememebr the $25 is ONLY CHARGED ONE TIME NOT DAILY.