PDA

View Full Version : First Time Monger - Jube 27, 2007

domfan
06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I am going in for my first monger trip in about three weeks. I am heading to Santo Domingo solo. I was wondering if any of the experienced mongers will be down in the area during that time. I'll be in town from 6/27-7/4.

I want to hook up with some one that can show me the ropes a little while on my first trip.

DAMN...I CAN'T WAIT!!!

weyland
06-08-2007, 04:02 AM
Noble98, I am sure you will have a great time, especially if you can hook up with one or two ISOC members who already know the area, like prtyr2.

Just for interest, why did you start with Santo Domingo, rather than the usual "entry level" points such as Sosua or Barba Negra? Cheap flight, local contacts, interest in colonial history, or what?

DEPUTY DAWG
06-08-2007, 06:29 AM
That's an excellent point, cause if your not fluent in spanish then La Capital is one helluvah place to get your feet wet with no definite plan in place...

weyland
06-08-2007, 07:38 AM
La Capital is one helluvah place to get your feet wet with no definite plan in place...
The greater the challenge, the greater his triumph when he succeeds.

Don't make him nervous. I'm sure he'll have a great time. I could happily spend a month in SD only visiting the Girls' House IF I had that sort of budget (I don't). Perhaps Noble98 does?

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/6568450e822ca9dd3.jpg

That reminds me. I never saw the pictures Kevy took there during our visit when he got his camera out to frighten away the chicas who were surrounding us in a silent semi-circle. Did he ever post them?

DEPUTY DAWG
06-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Don't think kevy did... I think he should be little on edge to keep his wits about him. That's not the place for a newbie..... They will chew u up and spit u out if you look like an easy mark!!!!!!! You might as well know the good and the bad so at least your not blindsided. But we're telling the right way of doing this before he gets there so at least he'll have a plan in place....

Hemp
06-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Im not and im sure the guys are not trying to discourage you into your forray into SD for a starter trip...but this is not a smart decision.

hopfully you have the Language on your side.

Beads
06-08-2007, 10:54 AM
I am going in for my first monger trip in about three weeks. I am heading to Santo Domingo solo. I was wondering if any of the experienced mongers will be down in the area during that time. I'll be in town from 6/27-7/4.

I want to hook up with some one that can show me the ropes a little while on my first trip.

DAMN...I CAN'T WAIT!!!

change your flight. fly in and out of POP instead of SDQ since there will be LOADS of ISOC in country the same days as you just on the other coast.

psriches
06-08-2007, 11:17 AM
change your flight. fly in and out of POP instead of SDQ since there will be LOADS of ISOC in country the same days as you just on the other coast.I co-sign, however this will be a very expensive option. Hopefully you're not tied down to the Capital.

So, do some research, spend 1 day in Santo Domingo and then take a caribe tours bus to Sosua. The roundtrip will be no more than 500 pesos, including snacks.

You will thank me for it later!!!:wink:

Macky
06-08-2007, 05:01 PM
I am going to Punta Cana in late June and I'm flying into SDQ. I know it's a long drive, but I figure that with the price of a ticket to PUJ I could get the SDQ flight and the car. Plus that will give me added mobility in case I want to do something crazy like head up north. This may be an option for my friend as well.

Beads
06-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I co-sign, however this will be a very expensive option. Hopefully you're not tied down to the Capital.

So, do some research, spend 1 day in Santo Domingo and then take a caribe tours bus to Sosua. The roundtrip will be no more than 500 pesos, including snacks.

You will thank me for it later!!!:wink:

After the one day in Santo Domingo you will be thanking him! I second that!

Seņor Jimmy of Medellin
06-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I am going to Punta Cana in late June and I'm flying into SDQ. I know it's a long drive, but I figure that with the price of a ticket to PUJ I could get the SDQ flight and the car. Plus that will give me added mobility in case I want to do something crazy like head up north. This may be an option for my friend as well.

Its in the opposite direction?

ajax718
06-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Noble, ditto on what the guys above said. If I were you, I would take a bus to Sosua asap. There will be plenty of veterans on this board in Sosua at that time