PDA

View Full Version : Catering industry in Puerto Plata complain of emergency

Gutter Meat
06-12-2007, 05:43 AM
I've mentioned in another post how the early closing times actually increase crime. Here is an article in Sosua news and how true can it be!!!! This President just doesn't get it!!!

The chairman of the catering association in Puerto Plata (for bar, restaurant and hotel owners), Mr Rafael Torres Madera, has urged President Leonel Fernández to allow more flexible opening hours for bars and restaurants in Puerto Plata. The current compulsory closing times are midnight (on weekdays), and 2am (weekends), and this measure has financially ruined many establishments. Closing times in Sosúa are 1am (weekdays) and 2am (weekends).
Mr Torres Madera claimed that many bars and restaurants have seen their turnover fall by 90% since the owners were forced to charge higher taxes for alcoholic beverages. Tourists in all-inclusive resorts such as Playa Dorada find it no longer worth their while to enjoy a night out in Puerto Plata, because the bars have to close early. But the drop in turnover has also meant that many bars and restaurants have had to dismiss their personnel, which results in increased poverty among the local population.
The government hoped this early-closing measure would improve safety on the streets and reduce crime levels.
But it also results in increased poverty and families becoming so desperate that they perhaps turn to crime.
'As catering association, we've held a meeting with the governor, Cesar José de los Santos and other authorities in Puerto Plata, where we expressed the dire need for more flexible opening times'. The spokesperson indicated that if the closing times were extended to 2am (weekdays) and 3am (weekends), this would be acceptable to the members of the catering association.
The business community speaks of an emergency situation, and hopes that the President will respond quickly, and favourably.

kiddfrost
06-12-2007, 07:46 AM
That sound reasonable... more money less poverty, yet the increase in hours will promote the thugs to play late at night... So I guess they have to weight the options, more money or more crime. One way or another crime will always be around, but money in lower statis area will not be...

Gutter Meat
06-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Another hour or 2 a night won't hurt.

Beads
06-12-2007, 06:17 PM
I have to admit I was totally against the curfew at first but after being subjected to it several trips its actually pretty good in some ways..

your up earlier and can actually get to the beach and enjoy some daytime activities.

I was staying up later and later every day of my trips with no curfew and eventually barely awake before late afternoon by day 5 or 6.

what could help all these places is just having the events earlier. they know they have to shut down at midnight so why start at 10pm?

after a while people will catch on and actually show up earlier.

especially for concerts and things like that they should just start them in the late afternoon so people can enjoy them for more than 2-3 hrs.

prtyr2
06-13-2007, 05:18 PM
When they first instituted the new hours. . .crim dropped like a rock. . . .but at the SAME time the hours changed they put WAY more police presence on the street. Hmmm. . .ya think the increased police presence may have an effect on crime?

I got an idea, put the hours back the way they were and increase the police presence again. Bet that works. I have a better plan but more complicated;-)

That sound reasonable... more money less poverty, yet the increase in hours will promote the thugs to play late at night... So I guess they have to weight the options, more money or more crime. One way or another crime will always be around, but money in lower statis area will not be...