PDA

View Full Version : Food on the street in the night

ilikenyacional
06-09-2004, 08:29 PM
So it's 3:30AM and you and your girl are hungry but in a hurry to go to bed. Street food is the thing : fast, cheap, good.

I tried two places on Pedro Clisante:

Past Latino disco toward the beach : there is a stand with chair and tables around on the street corner. The guy serves spicy steak and platano in a foam box. You pick it up and you go !

In front of Harrison jewellery : 50 pesos hot-dog. I was too drunk to see what was in, but it was good !

Bon appétit !

Jimmydr
06-12-2004, 12:22 PM
There was a place in front of High Caribe that was fast and good, hopefully it will be there after the remodeling is finished.

psriches
10-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Nothing like the $3 chicken dinner from the stand at the corner of the Palace. Ate there regularly and never got sick.

Jimmydr
10-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Nothing like the $3 chicken dinner from the stand at the corner of the Palace. Ate there regularly and never got sick.

That place is "A" okay. My girl eats there all the time.

jd_mine
10-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Is that the place owned by the English speaking guy with the rasta hair??
He told me it was his place.....

psriches
10-27-2004, 05:07 PM
I only see a dominican and his novia running the place.

knotty
10-27-2004, 05:39 PM
jd_mine,

I think you're referring to the place next to La Passions. The walls are painted red I believe outside.

jd_mine
10-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Could be.....the guy brought a girl over to me at the Blue Dolphin. She was supposed to meet me there, but apparently did not know where it was, even though I asked her 3 times if she knew....
He showed her the way and expected a tip and started on about owning the chicken place. I figured it was the one on the grass field. Apperently not....
Next time I'm going to try the chicken stand, all reviews here are good....

gdogg
10-27-2004, 06:36 PM

...and his novia is definitely a HOTTIE!!
:twisted:

Oh, the chicken is good too.
:lol:

Black Ghost
10-27-2004, 07:08 PM

...and his novia is definitely a HOTTIE!!
:twisted:

Oh, the chicken is good too.
:lol:

Restaurants are 4 L7's :twisted:

gdogg
10-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Jimmy is a bonafide L7 (Jimmy will get that one!).

Beads
11-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Is this chicken stand still open? IM picking out possible places to eat before my trip.

psriches
11-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes, it's open.

gdogg
11-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Supposedly under new management. But yes, still open!

Beads
11-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Is the chicken still just as good? or skip this place?

psriches
11-25-2005, 08:52 PM
chicken is just as good...... also try out susana's just down the street next to alegri bar. $3 for chicken, rice/beans, salad.....

ilikenyacional
02-26-2006, 01:13 PM
2006 update:

The stand in front of classico is still there. Fried pork with platano, very tasty and for 100 pesos it feed you and your girl. The guy also have bottled water for 20 pesos and Presidente. Don't forget ketchup for your platano !

The other stand I've been is on Calle Dr.Rosen (Rocky's street) on the other side, in front of Harrison going to the Texaco station. I've had hot-dog and hamburger there. I was surprised by the hamburger, one of the best I've had anywhere in DR. Less than 100 pesos.

Try it, never been sick with that and a well feeded chica is a better chica !

Bug Boy
02-26-2006, 01:17 PM

You can't go wrong at this joint, just ask for extra onions. Cien pesos!

Apos
02-26-2006, 01:29 PM
2006 update:

The stand in front of classico is still there. Fried pork with platano, very tasty and for 100 pesos it feed you and your girl. The guy also have bottled water for 20 pesos and Presidente. Don't forget ketchup for your platano !

The other stand I've been is on Calle Dr.Rosen (Rocky's street) on the other side, in front of Harrison going to the Texaco station. I've had hot-dog and hamburger there. I was surprised by the hamburger, one of the best I've had anywhere in DR. Less than 100 pesos.

Try it, never been sick with that and a well feeded chica is a better chica !

is it pork? i thought he said beef but...i MAY have been intoxicated at the time:rolleyes:

ilikenyacional
02-26-2006, 01:32 PM
is it pork? i thought he said beef but...i MAY have been intoxicated at the time:rolleyes:

I would not put my hand in the fire about that. Let's say: marinated spicy meat, deeply fried with fried platano.

Apos
02-26-2006, 01:34 PM
I would not put my hand in the fire about that. Let's say: marinated spicy meat, deeply fried with fried platano.

i've been eating it for over a year...5 trips or so. i thought it was pork but when i asked he said beef...but who knows...it works at 3:00am...thats for sure!:D

Maximus
02-26-2006, 01:41 PM
i've been eating it for over a year...5 trips or so. i thought it was pork but when i asked he said beef...but who knows...it works at 3:00am...thats for sure!:D

Merolyn brought something like that back once. She squeezed some lime on it. She called it boohFAE, or something. It was a little rubbery. She couldn't tell me exactly what it was, but I gathered it was some type of innards, or organs. :rolleyes:

Apos
02-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Merolyn brought something like that back once. She squeezed some lime on it. She called it boohFAE, or something. It was a little rubbery. She couldn't tell me exactly what it was, but I gathered it was some type of innards, or organs. :rolleyes:

i looked at it raw, before he deepfried it. it looked like pork strips or beef that had been out in the air awhile. definately not organ meat. it's rubbery because the oil is too hot/cooked a bit too long. it'd sure be "safe" to eat though. nothing bad can withstand that cooking method:eek::D

Maximus
02-26-2006, 01:48 PM
i looked at it raw, before he deepfried it. it looked like pork strips or beef that had been out in the air awhile. definately not organ meat. it's rubbery because the oil is too hot/cooked a bit too long. it'd sure be "safe" to eat though. nothing bad can withstand that cooking method:eek::D

I just saw this stuff cooked, it was dark strips, looked like liver. I said "higado?" to her, she said yes, could be, but other as well. I asked what other? That went on for 15 minutes, and I gave up. The next day, I asked other chicas what bufe is, and got the same results. :confused: :D

Apos
02-26-2006, 01:52 PM
they likely have no idea who/what they're eating:rolleyes:

guttaman
02-26-2006, 01:52 PM
It might be ox.

Apos
02-26-2006, 01:53 PM
I just saw this stuff cooked, it was dark strips, looked like liver. I said "higado?" to her, she said yes, could be, but other as well. I asked what other? That went on for 15 minutes, and I gave up. The next day, I asked other chicas what bufe is, and got the same results. :confused: :D

he calls it "carne ensalada"...mystery meat anyone?:eek::rolleyes:

Apos
02-26-2006, 01:53 PM
It might be ox.

ever wonder why there are sooo many 3 legged dogs?

Maximus
02-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Cart food is one reason why I got my Hep A shots.

All the salad tossing these chicas do is the other!!! :eek: :D :D

Maximus
02-26-2006, 01:55 PM

Isn't that carne asada?

ilikenyacional
02-26-2006, 01:55 PM
It might be ox.

If not, I would not be here talking about it. I'm eating that since 2004, probably 30 times.

Maximus
02-26-2006, 01:58 PM
If not, I would not be here talking about it. I'm eating that since 2004, probably 30 times.

We eat stuff in the states that we don't know. Did you ever read whats in some hot dogs? Lips, ears, snout.......

ilikenyacional
02-26-2006, 01:58 PM

Yeah, there is something with "ensalada". Maybe it mean salted, or marinated in a salty concoction.

Sal = salt.

One thing for sure, there is no need to put more salt in that !

Maximus
02-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah, there is something with "ensalada". Maybe it mean salted, or marinated in a salty concoction.

Sal = salt.

One thing for sure, there is no need to put more salt in that !

Carne Asada
Makes 4 servings.

http://www.alanskitchen.com/images/printer.gif (http://www.alanskitchen.com/MAIN_DISHES/Print/p_carne_asada.htm)The first time I made this recipe, it was for a Christmas Party. It really works well on a picnic, especially with the new "keep warm" picnic containers. Prep Time: 10 minutes
Marinade Time: 30 minutes
Grilling Time: 14 - 16 minutes
Ingredients 3 - fresh limes
4 - rib-eye (6 oz.) steaks
4 - garlic cloves, chopped
1 - tablespoon red chiles, ground
1 - teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 - teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 - cup olive oil
1/4 - cup of cilantro
Directions
Serve with Salsa Fresca (http://www.alanskitchen.com/SALSA/salsa_fresca.htm).
Prepare grill to medium – hot temperature.

Cut the limes in half and squeeze the juice over both sides of the steaks.
Rub the garlic into the steaks. Then you want to sprinkle the chilies, pepper and cumin over the steaks.
Cover steaks with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to marinade for 30 minutes.
Brush the steaks with oil and grill 7 minutes on each side for medium doneness.
When the steaks are is cooked, dice the steaks into 1/4 - cubes and add the cilantro.
Picnicking & Tailgating: You can marinade the steaks a day or two ahead of time. Keep in plastic wrap until ready to put into ice chest. Place the wrapped steaks in a plastic container and place in ice chest. At the picnic or tailgate site, prepare grill and cook normally.

Apos
02-26-2006, 02:05 PM
while tooo salty i do like it...but i'll stick with "mystery meat":D

Maximus
02-26-2006, 02:06 PM
while tooo salty i do like it...but i'll stick with "mystery meat":D

As long as it tastes good and it dont make ya sick, its all good..........

Phoenix
02-26-2006, 02:25 PM
I think I am just going to stick to having a late dinner and drink more beer if I am hungry later in the evening

Apos
02-26-2006, 02:26 PM
how was wally world?:D

Phoenix
02-26-2006, 02:30 PM
how was wally world?:D

I saved money!

Apos
02-26-2006, 02:37 PM
I saved money!
DAMN!...."has anybody seen my pants?":rolleyes:
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=63148

Ted Kennedy. Good senator, but a bad date. You know what I'm saying, folks? One of those guys who gets home at four o'clock in the morning and goes, "What did I forget? Oh! The fucking girl! What's the matter with me? Jesus, where are my pants!? Holy shit!"

gdogg
02-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I eat at the spot across from Harrison's each night after the club...never had a problem. I used to do my late night meals at PJ's. Never again!

continentalmike
02-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Street food is fine, if you have a normal European stomach, I cannot vouch for others, but to me it was always a cheap and good eat..

JD
02-28-2006, 04:15 AM
Gdogg,

What wrong with PJ's other than price? Maybe it's better that you don't answer.

JS

Apos
02-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Gdogg,

JS

PJ's has changed management apparantly...perhaps ownership too BUT in the not too distant past it was well known for not being a safe place to eat...atleast at night.

"friends don't let friend's eat at PJ's" is what i was told...and they really meant it.

perhaps it's changed for the better??

gdogg
02-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Gdogg,

JS

Like Apos said, they have changed management...so maybe things have changed. I ate there twice in 2004, on late night/early morning runs with a chica, and the food got me sick. Around the same time, there was talk about rats running around all over the place (I heard this after I ate there). When I talked to other people (during the same time), I was told never to eat there again. I didn't have to be told twice, since I had as many bad stories as they did!

jd_mine
02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
I like the fried pork and beef the guy across Classico's sells from his little stand. I have it with fried platanos.
I was with some Americans in September and they just could not believe I would eat there. They were soooo afraid to get sick!!
It's great food when you're drunk at 4 am.......

JD
03-04-2006, 03:33 AM
I dined at PJ's thrice on my last trip. December 5-7, 2005. The food was ok for me going down. The waiter was from Gaspar Hernandez and I poked fun at him with his Espaillat accent. Maybe I just happened to gey lucky.

JD

the_Jayman
03-04-2006, 10:43 PM
don't eat the cheese cake ! !

gdogg
03-05-2006, 01:40 AM
don't eat the cheese cake ! !

Is that where Jimmy got the bad cheesecake? I think it is.

BrooklynBeas
03-05-2006, 04:49 AM
i ate speghetti bologanese... it wasnt too bad but i had to jump in the jeep and speed back to the palace to get rid of it after... Not sure if it was the food or just time to let go on the feces... TMI from Beas once again... 27 days!