PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who fly Bos Sdq

sailor02
06-26-2007, 09:28 AM
I would like to know your opinions about flying from bos to Sdq. I see that AA has a flight that connects in Miami and another that connects in PR. I'd appreciate any input from those who fly out of Logan either on AA or any other carrier.

Thanks, Sailor02

Jimmydr
06-26-2007, 09:37 AM
PR is out of the way and the planes are way too small.

Cheeno
06-26-2007, 10:26 AM
I would like to know your opinions about flying from bos to Sdq. I see that AA has a flight that connects in Miami and another that connects in PR. I'd appreciate any input from those who fly out of Logan either on AA or any other carrier.

Thanks, Sailor02

Do NOT go through Miami. The gate (where you go to transfer) is a huge mess and poorly managed.

The customs/immigration lines are also a mess and so slow (if you fly from Santo Domingo to Miami). Forget it.

San Juan is better than Miami.

For flights from San Juan to Santo Domingo, sometimes its a large airplane (and since its barely full, you can sit in two seats) but sometimes (like Jimmy has said) its a very small aircraft. Its a hit or miss.

The final direct flight from Santo Domingo to Boston on Sunday night (I think its the 4 or 5pm flight), is always overbooked and crowded.

A lot of senior citizens and physically-challenged people (people who need wheelchairs) seem to fly on that day. So AA tries to accommodate them as best as possible. And to accommodate them, they will most likely upgrade you to first class for free.

So try and take advantage of any possible free upgrades or rewards. I got upgraded to first class two times for free.

Finally, in Logan airport, there are two Dunkin Donuts. One before you go through security and another after you go through security. The Dunkin Donuts before you go through security has a much shorter line. So go there. :smile:

sailor02
06-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. It sounds like if I take a midweek direct return flight from sdq to bos I should be ok, since I wont have to clear customs in Miami. The inbound flight which connects in PR has a small turboprop that takes you to sdq. I think I'd rather transfer in Miami since that flight has a larger jet. What do you guys think? I wonder what all the other Boston mongers are doing.

Thanks again, Sailor02

Cheeno
06-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. It sounds like if I take a midweek direct return flight from sdq to bos I should be ok, since I wont have to clear customs in Miami. The inbound flight which connects in PR has a small turboprop that takes you to sdq. I think I'd rather transfer in Miami since that flight has a larger jet. What do you guys think? I wonder what all the other Boston mongers are doing.

Thanks again, Sailor02

You're very welcome. :smile:

I never went to the DR through Miami. I only went through Miami while flying back to Boston.

I think I only flew in a large aircraft once (from San Juan to Santo Domingo). The other times, it was a small aircraft. But its only a 50-minute to an hour flight.

And based on AA's flight schedule, if you stop by San Juan (while flying to Santo Domingo), then there is around a 3-hour layover. So you need to take that into consideration.

Also, the airport in San Juan is less crowded than the one in Miami.

the_Jayman
06-27-2007, 06:14 PM
I HATE MIAMI INTERNATIONAL . . .

customs is quick and easy in PR . . . Drunko prefers San Juan over MIA BIG TIME ! ! !

Guttaman ? ? ?

Drjetman
06-27-2007, 06:36 PM
A buddy of mine has had his luggage delayed twice going from Boston to SDQ through Miami.He only goes through PR if he can't get a direct flight to SDQ.
Here's an option from Boston.Take Spirit down.They have a stop over in FLL I believe.The flight leaves at 5:30 am and you get to SDQ at 1:15PM.
On the way back take AA non-stop to Boston.
Both legs will set you back $300 and change but Spirit sometimes has it for under $200.Do some research.
In either of these cases you save money because round trip Bos to Sdq fares on AA are very high right now.