PDA

View Full Version : Dentists in the DR

JuanElGriego
10-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Has anyone had any experience with getting dental work done in the DR?

I ask because i'd like to get some work done (don't have insurance) and the money these people in the States are asking for is outrageous.

Every other young girl i saw in the DR had braces so it doesn't look like there's a shortage of dentists there and i imagine the cost of what i want to be a fraction of what's asked for here.

Any thoughts?

vdubman30
10-19-2005, 04:56 PM
never had any work done but it is surely inexpensive!!!!

el_papi_chew_low
10-19-2005, 04:58 PM
I got a card, but its at home. The dentist is located around the corner from Morua Mai. Its across from the foto store, which I think is a Kodack store. Its the block that leads up to M&M massage when you are walking away from the strip.

Apos
10-19-2005, 04:58 PM
my understanding is that there are great USA or european trained, maybe even CANADIAN!, dentists and the work is topnotch and inexpensive. go to www.dr1.com and search the forum. lots of info there.

JDR
10-19-2005, 04:59 PM
The better ones are not in Sosua. Braces were $200.

el_papi_chew_low
10-19-2005, 05:03 PM
When I get home, I'll try to find the card I have and post the information for you.

guttaman
10-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Most expats go to POP or a dentist near Caberete. A-man is correct in recommending dr1.com for further research. Putting grudges aside i would PM Jensenspecial and ask him. He lives there 24/7. Or any other expat that you know that lives there.

Apos
10-19-2005, 06:15 PM
from www.dr1.com http://www.dr1.com/forums/search.php?searchid=872620

My dentist in SD is Fausto Gonzalez, DDS. He's a great guy as well. His office is located on Churchill at Plaza Las Americas II. 809-732-9106. He's a US liscensed and trained orthodontist. Hope this helps.

hi his name is dr fernando foch tell him lutz meyerding send you if its anything urgent he will see u on the weekend he is next to carazon unidad thats a famous heart clinic here so everyone will know i am sure he will se u so u can discuss him what u need and how much its going to cost in the confidence is what u need as well numbers 5676026 5656865 8899333
regards
lutz meyerding

I don't know anyone right in Santo Domingo, but we have a dentist here in Sosua, Dr. Wendy "Yuma" (I think), who has a great reputation and does great work for a tiny fraction of the cost eslewhere.
She has done work for people on this board and is excellent.

You can PM me for more information.

HB :D:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
I also recommend Wendy Juma in Sosua. Her office is on the second floor, over the post office, of the building in the small plaza almost opposite Productos Sosua. Tel 571-2767
I'm not too familiar with Sosua, other than Pedro Clisante. Could someone tell me where this would be in relation to say, Rocky's?

If you were to walk out of Rocky's and turn left, heading South, cross Pedro Clisante and walk to the highway, then without crossing the road, turn left again, heading East, and walk approx. 100 yards, you will come to a plaza that is "L" shaped and 3 stories high. Dr. Wendy's office is near the corner on the second floor.
This is the same plaza where the post office and the electric companies have their offices.

My wife and I have had crowns, root canals, etc., done by Wendy. She speaks enough English to interact with the patients in the chair.

Her equipment is not the latest, but she is clean, very nice, and very capable. We go and recommend her to others.

If you are coming from the US, her charge will be a fraction of what you would pay there.

If you want me to contact her to set up an appointment, send me a pm or email with the necessary information. Or mywife and I can go with you when you arrive to meet her and make an appointment.

I have used Wendy too, she is the best.
Another very good one is Freddy Lepez on Calle Duarte in Puerto Plata.
He is fluent in English, have descent rates, lots of foreigners goes to him.
Educated here and in the US. He works with his wife, and they are also active in a few foundations for kids here in Puerto Plata.
He works by appointment, and is open from 8 in the morning.
If you need any assistance or help, just pm me and I will be happy to assist you.

Apos
10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I live in Sosua and am presently having work done by Dr. Wendy Juma. She is young but capable and well recommended. Her office is on the second floor over the post office in the small plaza opposite Productos Sosua. Her office phone is 571-2767. Her prices are very reasonable, far below what would be charged in the US, for example. I am getting a root canal, a crown, a broken filling replaced, and about 5 teeth coated with the material they use when enamel very worn for about RD$8,000.

You might also be interested in this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19440&highlight=dentists

Apos
10-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Try Freddy Lepe...Duarte #75 586-6666
Speaks perfect English, was eduacted in part in the USA. He is not Dominican but from Paraguay. Has the most modern equipment and has been using computer systems for many years.
Plays only QUIET classical type music in his working office.

Santiago: try Milton Troche. He does reconstructive jaw work as well. Excellent office, very well equiped, well staffed and about 6 different chairs in separate rooms and staff to assist him. NOT CHEAP but very good. Calle 16 de Agosto No. 124, Edif Julian Ramia Abaid, 2nd level 971-6047 / 6118 / 1253
Does not speak much English. Secretary on the phone very professional and helpful

Hey Ken,
"She that must be Obeyed" uses Freddy Lepe (details above) & has been happy with him for about 7 years. He is NOT too good at keeping appointment times (up to 1/2 hour late unless you get firm with him) & DON'T book first thing in morning or immediately after lunch - he is generally late!!! However, our English Dentist friend has checked out the work he does and it is GOOD with up to date technology.
I use Dr. Jose Alberto Reyes in Beller #54. Tel. 586-4770 Beeper 478-2503. Tell him I recommended you & you want the same appointment arrangements that I have i.e he sees you within 10 minutes of appointment time or you're out of there!!! His work is good too & he speaks English when necessary. - Happy pulling - Grahame.

PLEASE NOTE MOST OF THIS INFO IS 2 OR 3 YEARS OLD!

JuanElGriego
10-19-2005, 08:23 PM
O.K.

Looks like i need to do a bit of research but at least i know where to start now.

Many thanks to you guys, especially you Apos .....

gdogg
10-19-2005, 08:26 PM
THere is a good one in Santiago. If our dental coverage at work hadn't improved, she was going to do my crown in 2006. I don't have her card handy right now.

AntiBadussy
10-19-2005, 09:49 PM
I don't bother with the dentist anymore since I lost all my teeth. The chicas really like it when I gumm their nipples :lol:

Jthomas
10-19-2005, 09:58 PM
How did you lose all your teeth? Get in a fight or something?

AntiBadussy
10-19-2005, 10:00 PM
How did you lose all your teeth? Get in a fight or something?
ssssssshhhhhh! It's the first thing they do in prison to a new punk but don't tell anybody okay :oops:

el_papi_chew_low
10-20-2005, 10:25 AM
OK as promissed, here is the information:

Dental Del Mar

Dr. Fulvio Rodriguez, Odontologo
Calle Duarte No 1 Apto. 1
El Batey, Sosua (al lado de Melissa Tour)
809-571-2924

Cheeno
11-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Here is one I found at www.dr1.com

I have never been there before.

American trained DR. Hsin Tai Chen (Fluent in english)
She has her clinic at:

Av. Winston Churchill, Esq. Paseo de Locutores, Plaza Las Americas II 2nd Nivel, Piantini R.D.

Tel. 809-3810648
Cel. 809-9168888
600 - 800 for a filling

Her email is oralcaredr@hotmail.com

eldorob
07-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Anybody know if this Gal Wendy is still in Sosua? . I don't want to have to travel to SD, etc, I'm basically lazy...

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
I also recommend Wendy Juma in Sosua. Her office is on the second floor, over the post office, of the building in the small plaza almost opposite Productos Sosua. Tel 571-2767
I'm not too familiar with Sosua, other than Pedro Clisante. Could someone tell me where this would be in relation to say, Rocky's?[/quote]

tampabukkake
07-26-2006, 08:26 PM
I just finished a root canal and three crowns and a couple of enamal fillings. Total spent was 20,000 RDS.

Wendy is great ! She makes it painless, tell her John says hi (Caco Pelo) or bald guy

Pana
08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Every other young girl i saw in the DR had braces so it doesn't look like there's a shortage of dentists there and i imagine the cost of what i want to be a fraction of what's asked for here.

Any thoughts?
I know this is an old thread, but most of the young people who have braces down there are glued on and people down there do it as a style(poor people) it shows people in DR that you have money because only rich people in DR can afford braces to have braces. I know someone who did that and thats what they said is one of the things that are in fashion down there besides the tight jeans and pointy shoes and sun glasses some guys where down there.