PDA

View Full Version : Bus Service In The DR

el_papi_chew_low
10-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Caribe Tours (PHONE: 809/221-4422, www.caribetours.com.do). Espresso Bavaro (PHONE: 809/682-9670). Metro Buses (PHONE: 809/566-7126 in Santo Domingo; 809/586-6062 in Puerto Plata; 809/587-4711 in Santiago).
============================================
Privately owned air-conditioned buses are the cheapest way to get around the DR. They make regular runs to Santiago, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, and other destinations from Santo Domingo. You can make reservations for Metro Buses, Caribe Tours, and Espresso Bavaro. One-way bus fare from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata is about $6, and it takes four hours; the fare to Punta Cana (Bavaro) is $6 and takes about 3½ hours. Metro's buses have more of an upscale clientele; although the coffee and cookies are complimentary, there are no movies. Caribe usually shows bilingual movies, keeps the air-conditioning frigid, and is favored by locals and families; buses are often filled to capacity, especially on weekends. Espresso Bavaro buses depart from Avenue Maximo Gomez-Plaza Los Girasoles; the buses are not the best, but the price is right and the American movies current. If you're going to one of the Punta Cana resorts, you get off at the stop before the last and take a cab waiting at the taxi stand.

Frequent service from Santo Domingo to the town of La Romana is provided by Express Bus. Buses depart from Revelos Street in front of Enriquillo Park every hour on the hour from 5 AM to 9 PM; the schedule is exactly the same from La Romana, where they leave from Camino Avenue. In Santo Domingo, there's no office and no phone, but a ticket-taker will take your $3 just before departure. There's general chaos, a crazy kind of congestion (allow time in a taxi), horns blowing, diesel fumes, but it all comes together. Don't be dismayed, remember that you're spending $3 instead of $80 or $100 by taxi. Travel time is about 1¾ hours, and if luck is with you you'll get the larger bus, which will show a first-rate American movie. Once in town you can take a taxi from the bus stop to Casa de Campo $8 or Sunscape Casa del Mar or Iberostar Dominicus ($11).

JDR
10-20-2005, 11:36 AM
I have taken them about a dozen times and love it.

sosuaman
10-20-2005, 11:44 AM
great info,,, thanks!! :D

DEPUTY DAWG
10-20-2005, 07:08 PM
I took caribe tours and metro on this past trip and I recommend both The amount of talent riding on them is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! From 7's to 10's Imet a nice one during my trip and eventually stayed a couple of days at her place!!!!!!!!!

Apos
10-20-2005, 07:12 PM
i take it atleast once or twice a trip...caribe tours only so far, and it's hard to beat. cheap, relatively on time and the chicas!!!

Cheeno
10-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Thank you for sharing the information!!! :)

Apos
12-12-2005, 11:14 PM
http://www.hispaniola.com/dominican_republic/info/transportation.php