PDA

View Full Version : Any Live Dominican Music In/Near Sosua??

HombreSucio
08-03-2007, 12:26 PM
will be there next weekend and like to hear live dominican music. haven't found anything posted about where to go. have car/will travel. any clubs, bars, lounges in the sosua-puerto plata area where a gringo can go? thanks!

weyland
08-03-2007, 01:09 PM
When you travel along the main highways you will see many advertisements for local concerts (bachata and/or reggaeton and/or merengue) at frequent intervals, always A3 size and stencilled, usually in red or blue, with the name of the artist(s), venue and date. Watch out for past dates though, they are not very good at taking down old posters promptly.

Hemp
08-03-2007, 01:48 PM
^ yeah man...no worries finding live tipico/merengue/bachata music around town.

i saw a Live Bachata/Tipico show in Sea-crets bar last July and it was pretty damn good!!! i enjoyed it.

TPdog
08-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Check the car wash on the weekends........sosua!

ilikenyacional
08-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Check for concert at Sosua Carwash. I saw Antony Santos in 2006 and Los Torro last june there.

For big name, be prepared to pay 500 pesos ($16), well worth IMHO, if you like bachata-merengue.

Don't go there to pick up a chica, almost all are accompanied and/or don't sleep with foreigner. Better to go with a good one you met in Sosua, she'll love it.

Have fun, I can't wait for my next concert in the DR !

ilikenyacional
08-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Check out this thread:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7144

thunderstar
08-04-2007, 09:38 AM
The great Antony Santos will be LIVE in PP on the 17th Aug. Should be a good one!

weyland
08-04-2007, 11:56 AM
For big name, be prepared to pay 500 pesos ($16), well worth IMHO, if you like bachata-merengue.
Don't tell ErikS that, he will insist you are paying gringo prices. He only pays those sort of amounts to listen to the Texas Goosestep.

weyland
08-04-2007, 12:01 PM
The great Antony Santos will be LIVE in PP on the 17th Aug. Should be a good one!
You are either a f****** hypocrite or you have become dominicanized in your 14(?) weeks. Whenever I was in your car you derided bachata and assaulted my ears with tired old '80s disco stuff from the English suburbs.

MisterPink
08-04-2007, 12:08 PM
W:

You might try expanding your musical horizons over there mate.
A little Afro Cuban Jazz and Salsa would not taint your iPod.
I enjoy the Blinky-Blinky myself, but after a few hours, it's like a cheesegrater on the brain.

mp

weyland
08-04-2007, 12:42 PM
W:
You might try expanding your musical horizons over there mate.
A little Afro Cuban Jazz and Salsa would not taint your iPod.
I enjoy the Blinky-Blinky myself, but after a few hours, it's like a cheesegrater on the brain.
mp
Fair comment. An hour or so is plenty for one session unless you are at a concert or dancing to sustain the interest. There is only one rhythmic pattern and very little variety of melody or instrumentation. That is part of the fascination, how the best artists can still wring some new interest out of such restricted material, like minimalist art. But I also have around 700 other lesser tracks that are all pleasant enough but more or less interchangeable.

I am trying to get into Konpa but I only like the slow bluesy or reggae(ish) sort so far. I'll leave the Cuban stuff until I start taking annual holidays in Cuba.

I am 67. If I can't be a narrow-minded old bigot now, when can I be?

thunderstar
08-04-2007, 08:01 PM
You are either a f****** hypocrite or you have become dominicanized in your 14(?) weeks. Whenever I was in your car you derided bachata and assaulted my ears with tired old '80s disco stuff from the English suburbs.

I have become Dominicanized! I am now a local, 80's Disco and soul will never be the same to me again.
I am a little worried about going back to work in the UK as my music tastes have changed just a little! :smile:

Beads
08-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I have become Dominicanized! I am now a local, 80's Disco and soul will never be the same to me again.
I am a little worried about going back to work in the UK as my music tastes have changed just a little! :smile:

After as much time as you have spent down there this year its going to be quite an adjustment if you go back to England. Not just the music tastes but im sure a lot of other things.

weyland
08-05-2007, 03:37 AM

Well done. In that case I wish I had met you towards the end of your stay rather than towards the beginning of it. Still, there's always next year?

I am a little worried about going back to work in the UK
You should worry more about not going back to work in the UK.

After as much time as you have spent down there this year its going to be quite an adjustment if you go back to England. Not just the music tastes but im sure a lot of other things.
It will be hell. If he didn't have the wonderful Mrs Thunderstar to console him he would sink into black depression.

Hey, Thunderstar, what about my idea for a Dominican café in the UK? Still worried about the doormen?

ErikS
08-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Don't tell ErikS that, he will insist you are paying gringo prices. He only pays those sort of amounts to listen to the Texas Goosestep.

Goose this you Limey so and so (no offense ment to the Thunderstars).

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/4960463370e6cdeea.jpg

And furthermore, I hereby challenge you to the Dominnican version of "So You Think You Can Dance?" :mad:

I since I issued the challenge, tradition dictates that you get to select the weapons:
-Bacchata
-Merengue'
-or Texas Two-Step!

For my Second, I choose Continental Mike.
I await your reply Sir.

;) :D :rolleyes:

weyland
08-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I accept your challenge. I choose bachata, but not for 12 months after I settle in the DR.

I think Continental Mike is in a coma or joined a monastery. We haven't heard from him for ages.

This exposing yourself in public places is becoming habitual. If Jimmy thinks two instances a year apart constitute a trend, he must think your behaviour is a constant.

HombreSucio
08-07-2007, 10:36 PM

i agree. he is great!

i'm getting addicted to their music! i drive around nyc with my windows down, playing cd's i got in the d.r. and get the weirdest looks from some people!

HombreSucio
08-07-2007, 10:40 PM
fellas.. thanks for the info! and thanks for the laughs!

thunderstar
08-14-2007, 11:40 AM
3 days to the Santos concert.
Eric - I love you man ( not in a Jimbo way ) but I really dont need to keep seeing your ass!

Kevy
08-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Stratton, you better be ready to go to the Hague for another crime against Humanity. MY EYES are burning!:eek:

weyland
08-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Eric - I love you man ( not in a Jimbo way ) but I really dont need to keep seeing your ass!
He can't help himself. I put it down to his military service. It must have posed an intolerable strain for someone as intelligent and basicly decent as ErikS and something had to give somewhere. We should be grateful the guy is only fucked up in this relatively minor way.

ErikS
08-14-2007, 08:47 PM
3 days to the Santos concert.

Keep seeing it? I wasn't aware that you had previously viewed it? :confused:

I guess from now on I'm going to have to make sure that the door to the loo is fully closed when you and the Mrs. come over for dinner so you don't sneak anymore peaks! :eek:

;)

(and don't forget to send me your regular email address. I have those pics for you.)

HombreSucio
08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
[quote=thunderstar;347174] 3 days to the Santos concert.

i can't believe i just missed it by 1 week! i'm so fuckin' jealous of anyone who goes! have a great time!

the only thing worse would be missing a Zacarias Ferreira concert and at the same time my novia being on the rag with a sore throat and not being able to ditch her for a couple of hours to chill at la passion! NOW THAT WOULD REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SUCK! :icontd:

(about my novia. i ain't fuckin' stupid! i ain't traveling no 3000 miles round trip to catch her on her *"sangria dias" (*thanks seeker241 for the lingo lesson)! OH NO, NO, NO!!!! that just ain't gonna happen cause i made damn sure i know when that time is!!!! i hope all of you do too with your little love toys!

sorry gents for referring to the chicas as "love toys". it's just that i can't take women seriously! maybe i have a shitty attitude :confused: maybe it's true! maybe i really am a "pig"!

yes..... i just thought it over!

I DEFINITELY AM A FUCKIN' PIG!!!!! :cheesygrin: )