PDA

View Full Version : 4x4'ing and whitewater rafting

JTS005
08-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi Guys,

I have tried to use the ISOC search engine and Google, so apologies in advance if I have missed the answer to my question.

We're going to be at BB's from Aug. 21-25 and I have been trying to find out where we can do some 4x4'ing and some rafting. For 4x4'ing, I found this company:
http://www.playadoradaexcursions.com in Puerto Plata. Anything closer to BB's?

I can't seem to find the rafting companies on the Internet.

Do you have any recommendations for either activity?

Thanks in advance.

weyland
08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Don't BB organise parties for this? Probably using the same company. Playa Dorada at Puerto Plata is only a few miles from Blackbeards. You won't find anything nearer (although the actual rafting is done miles inland, of course). Email BB and ask.

JDR posted something about it here:
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17890&page=2&highlight=jarabacoa

Also search under "rafting" and "whitewater" here and on DR1.

JTS005
08-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks Weyland

weyland
08-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks Weyland
Sorry I can't really help. Not my scene. Riding on the back of motoconchos is the only extreme sport I indulge in (probably more dangerous) but I have seen Blackbeards promoting excursions.

JTS005
08-16-2007, 02:55 PM
You have definitely helped - thank you.

Beads
08-16-2007, 03:00 PM
stay away from those crappy 4x4 excusions through a hotel operator. They usually charge $60-$75 for a few hours when you can rent the damn things for at least 2 days for that price! Find a rental place and rent the thing yourself for $30 and take it 4 wheeling through the streets! Youll probably have to do this in Puerta Plata im not sure about Costumbar but possibly someone else is.

Also bring your drivers license don't use the passport as they like to hold some type of documentation for your rental. Better to lose your DL than your passport so at least you can leave the country.

JTS005
08-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Great advice - thank you.

Jimmydr
08-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Jarabaccoa is where the rafting is. Its about 3 hours from BB and I did it twice. You will need to stay over and its well worth it.

JTS005
08-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks Jimmy

weyland
08-17-2007, 04:29 AM
stay away from those crappy 4x4 excusions through a hotel operator. They usually charge $60-$75 for a few hours when you can rent the damn things for at least 2 days for that price! Find a rental place and rent the thing yourself for $30 and take it 4 wheeling through the streets! Youll probably have to do this in Puerta Plata im not sure about Costumbar but possibly someone else is.

Also bring your drivers license don't use the passport as they like to hold some type of documentation for your rental. Better to lose your DL than your passport so at least you can leave the country.

Do you mean these dune buggy type thingies?
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/656846c55bb18d193.jpg

There was a rental place next to the old Field of Dreams (Now Cristal Mustang). Don't know if it is still there or whether they rent singles (I have only seen groups on the road).

jd_mine
08-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Jarabaccoa is where the rafting is. Its about 3 hours from BB and I did it twice. You will need to stay over and its well worth it.

Yeah, we had a great time there!