PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Mercure SD Colonial Zone

El Capitan
08-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Rolled in on Friday afternoon 8/24 to Hotel Mercure, no problems with the internet booking I'd made; and the front desk was more than accomodating to adding my DR galpal to the res so she could enjoy her stay as well....without questions or stopping to leave ID. (We made a copy that the hotel attached to my papers, she was a registered guest and treated as such....the guest friendly hotel knows "the difference".)

Hit Mason de Bari for an excellent meal and then walked the streets for a while.

I was in town on business, so my days were pretty well booked with meetings. The hotel Mercure proved to be a fine location to meet for coffee and talk. The hotel and restaurant staff were on target with every request I made.

Many times I walked away from my streetside table/office without paying only to return later to find my waiter and settle my bill....and TIP them for the service. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

As a matter of fact, the hotel staff iced the cooler full of bottled water and Presidentes I kept in my room (the mini bar is a tease, needs more beer...), they hunted me down to make sure I got my phone calls when I was on the property, and dare I say, while the room was small...it was spotless.......$63 a night including taxes and a solid breakfast buffet for two, everyday.

Visited Mason de Luis right across the street from Mercure. My GP and I were treated to a great dinner and the following day an excellent lunch there. (Mero frito....lo mejor!)

Spent two afternoons walking and photographing the ZC, and relaxing at the Cafeteria on Conde while watching the activity in the park.

My GP and I treated clients to TWO great meals in La Atarazana, one at Angelinas(?) a pizza place and another at Meson La Quintana. The latter proved to be too much food to eat and very affordably priced (for those who are budget minded-affordable is under $60US for two including drinks and a tip) She had the Meson waitress box up the leftovers with plastic forks and extra bread and asked me to give the meal to someone on the street we knew who was looking for one.....her kindness sealed a deal on a nice contract for me....

The following evening we did "sushi" at a place that offered two for one drinks....which proved to be my undoing

The hotel had free entertainment, an impromptu comedy show made up of a cast of "characters"......... "gringos" haggling as they tried to make "love connections" early in the evenings with ladies far beyond their league.

In one instance, we witnessed a lady show up with an overnight bag, apparantly on a pre-booked date....she left because her date would not pay the agreed rate. (El cheapo gringo) Later that night, the same guy found love again, yet was waylaid trying to convince the night clerk and hotel security to allow him to bring in the hood rat who had a "copy of her cedula".....ah yes, LOVE Dominican Style.

psriches
08-31-2007, 09:14 PM
As a matter of fact, the hotel staff iced the cooler full of bottled water and Presidentes I kept in my room (the mini bar is a tease, needs more beer...), they hunted me down to make sure I got my phone calls when I was on the property, and dare I say, while the room was small...it was spotless.......$63 a night including taxes and a solid breakfast buffet for two, everyday.Good post!

This is where i stay 90% of the time. I usually book on-line and get the "internet special rate" of $45 for the same type of room with the breakfast.

Great location, right on el conde! Chica friendly. Lots of reviews here about this hotel.

Highly recommended.

Cheeno
08-31-2007, 09:42 PM
El Capitan, thank you for your report and welcome to I.S.O.C.!!! :biggrin:

I.S.O.C. is a very friendly and informative community. Just be careful of a guy name Jayman. :mrgreen: