PDA

View Full Version : NEW TOURISTS CARDS

el_papi_chew_low
12-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Hang on to that credit card-sized tourist card you receive when you arrive in the country until departure, or pay a US$10 penalty fee. Some immigration officials are stapling it to passports. The Department of Taxes (DGII) recently started issuing the new cards, reportedly in coordination with a private company. While the procedures for the purchase of the new colored card are simple for the independent traveler, they have created chaos for major tour operators that had purchased large numbers of the old forms for expedite entrance of their passengers. The government has said that the expiration date for the old format is 31 December, but seeing as stock in the hands of several tour operators is enough to last many more weeks, this may have to be extended. The procedure calls for an extra form-filling step but is being implemented to avoid forging and fraudulent sales of the document. The new cards have an electronic chip that activates a card reader when swiped at the airport. Each passenger's information is collected by the passengers filling out an embarkation/disembarkation form. At the present time, the new cards are only for sale at Dominican ports of arrival, but the plan is to distribute them abroad through Dominican government missions.

Source: DR1

El Drunko
12-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Last week, they handed out a new blue form that has the same info as the old green card that you had to buy. Then you bought a credit card sized paper card. They took the small card and the blue form.

On return to the airport, they handed out another blue form, yes the same one I already filled out once. They took that at immigration.

So to me it looks as though things haven`t changed much. The govenment is still fucked up. Maybe it will take untill after the first of the year to get things in place.

Dick Dawson
12-07-2005, 12:16 PM
That's exactly what happened to me. I misplaced that card and had to pay on the way back.

El Drunko
12-07-2005, 12:20 PM
You misplaced what card? The small one? I would have bitched to high heaven if I had to buy another one.

Then you guys would have had to bail me out...

psriches
12-07-2005, 01:04 PM
How $much$ total for the cards?

vdubman30
12-07-2005, 01:38 PM
YEAH I LOOKED AT THE GIRL LIKE SHE HAD 5 HEADS WHEN SHE GAVE ME THE CARD..

gdogg
12-07-2005, 01:56 PM
YEAH I LOOKED AT THE GIRL LIKE SHE HAD 5 HEADS WHEN SHE GAVE ME THE CARD..

Me too! And I think I still have mine, was I supposed to give it up?
:roll:

I'm glad this topic was brought up, I forgot about the new card!

LM
12-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Yeah, when I left DR, the tour people were handing out the new tourist cards, didn't look any different other than blue and larger, same information to fill...

vdubman30
12-07-2005, 02:06 PM
THEY TOOK MINE WITH THE BLUE FORM..

gdogg
12-07-2005, 02:07 PM

You pay the same $10, you just receive different stuff (new blue sheet to fill out, and the plastic credit card-sized tourist card).

LM
12-07-2005, 02:34 PM

You pay the same $10, you just receive different stuff (new blue sheet to fill out, and the plastic credit card-sized tourist card).

never did see the plastic credit card-sized tourist card, the visas are always, for us Canadians anyways, included in the purchase of our flight ticket....that $20 departure tax annoys the hell out of me though.. :?

ErikS
12-07-2005, 06:18 PM
If the line is short, I've always bought multiple $10 tourist cards to use on future trips.
Next trip, you fill them out on the plane and then bypass the line.

I still have two of them. Hope I can still use them in January?

knotty
12-07-2005, 06:35 PM
ain't that new rule about using your birth certificate is forbidden go into effect on Jan. 1?

the_Jayman
12-07-2005, 06:40 PM
On return to the airport, they handed out another blue form, yes the same one I already filled out once. They took that at immigration.

You mean the one we didn't fill out on the way in. I still have my white customs form from the way down too.

whynotme
12-08-2005, 07:15 AM
i have never gotten a passport so i hope we don't need one after jan 1st.
already there for xmas but haven;t booked canadian invasion yet.if we need one there goes that trip unless i get my ass in gear and go apply. anyone know for sure about birth certificate vs passport after jan??????????

Phoenix
12-08-2005, 07:51 AM
already there for xmas but haven;t booked canadian invasion yet.if we need one there goes that trip unless i get my ass in gear and go apply. anyone know for sure about birth certificate vs passport after jan??????????

DT did a large post on the passport thing, I asked two different Continental people. One said yes you need one for 2006, one said you don't.

knotty
12-08-2005, 08:20 AM

I believe this is suppose to go into effect immediately after that date. there is a post somewhere around that confirms this. Somebody help us out.

the_Jayman
12-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Continental changed their online booking and now asks for a passport number when buying a plane ticket . . . don't know what that means.

El Drunko
12-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Dont forget, rules are different for Cunucks

gdogg
12-08-2005, 01:42 PM
During this last trip, I saw it written in several places that passports will be needed in the New Year. I don't know if this just for Americans, or just an American Airlines thing. I've hearing about this most of the year.

psriches
12-08-2005, 10:53 PM
During this last trip, I saw it written in several places that passports will be needed in the New Year. I don't know if this just for Americans, or just an American Airlines thing. I've hearing about this most of the year.I was told the same thing by an American Airline official but the web site indicates 2007 and the Govt web site indicates 2008.... So who knows!!

Apos
12-08-2005, 10:55 PM
according to my travel agent :D it'll be atleast late 2006 and probably late 2007 if it happens...but who knows? :roll:

slim13
02-26-2006, 02:36 AM
This is what happened in SDQ.

Bought a small credit card sized piece of paper with a mag strip on the back, then filled out a blue card (took another one to fill out on the way out) They was a big stack of them next to the booth where you buy your tourist card.

Gave immigration my card and the blue form, they stamped my passport. On the way out they took the white credit card sized card. I asked one of the immigration guys and he took me over and showed me a big sign that says "You do not need your tourist card to leave the country"

before I left I filled out the other blue card. Before you get to immigration there are more signs that say "You do not need your tourist card to leave the country" Went through immigration with just the blue form, no problems.

Apparently there was some confusion because there was still some of the green cards around.

All in all SDQ was very easy. No one asked for any tips and no one even tried to take my luggage for me.

Kevy
02-26-2006, 09:01 AM
There was confusion in Santiago too, they wanted the credit card size paper too, and they took those when I enetered. I told them that and they let me go.

nomad
03-26-2006, 03:38 PM
During this last trip, I saw it written in several places that passports will be needed in the New Year. I don't know if this just for Americans, or just an American Airlines thing. I've hearing about this most of the year.

You can thank President Bush for this. All people entering the USA regardless of citizenship (US, Canadian or whatever) from the Caribean are required to have a passport. Not sure when the effective date is. They have postponed it once.

Apos, You better get that passport soon!

Nomad

Apos
03-26-2006, 03:54 PM
You can thank President Bush for this. All people entering the USA regardless of citizenship (US, Canadian or whatever) from the Caribean are required to have a passport. Not sure when the effective date is. They have postponed it once.

Nomad
got the paperwork in front of me...it'll be in the mail after easter weekend!:)

psriches
03-26-2006, 05:01 PM

NomadJanuary 1, 2008

Apos
03-26-2006, 05:11 PM
January 1, 2008

postponed again? i thught it was supposed to be jan 1 2007?
(originally jan 1 2006):confused::confused::confused:

psriches
03-26-2006, 05:21 PM
postponed again? i thught it was supposed to be jan 1 2007?
(originally jan 1 2006):confused::confused::confused:You are absolutely right! They are doing it in phases with the deadline being Dec 31, 2007. So 12/31/06 for air/sea travel and 12/31/07 for land/border crossings.

WSJ3
03-26-2006, 05:26 PM
You are absolutely right! They are doing it in phases with the deadline being Dec 31, 2007. So 12/31/06 for air/sea travel and 12/31/07 for land/border crossings.

Anything to keep tourism alive...

Apos
03-26-2006, 06:12 PM
You are absolutely right! They are doing it in phases with the deadline being Dec 31, 2007. So 12/31/06 for air/sea travel and 12/31/07 for land/border crossings. so for me to cross over in my car i won't need a passport till end of 2007 but to fly out of or into the USA i'll need it for my xmas trip this year...thanks.

i just have to get someone from my "home town" to vouch for me...easter weekend it is!:cool:

Jimmydr
03-26-2006, 07:13 PM
They ask you how many days over are you?

nomad
03-26-2006, 10:31 PM
You are absolutely right! They are doing it in phases with the deadline being Dec 31, 2007. So 12/31/06 for air/sea travel and 12/31/07 for land/border crossings.

Yeah right. Try that shit in Texas when we go to party every weekend in Boys Town. Will not happen. I have not heard anything about the land crossing. Will not fly. You would have seen too much on the news about it already.

Nomad

Apos
03-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah right. Try that shit in Texas when we go to party every weekend in Boys Town. Will not happen. I have not heard anything about the land crossing. Will not fly. You would have seen too much on the news about it already.

Nomad
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

nomad
03-26-2006, 10:58 PM
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

I stand corrected. Still say lots of hell will be raised. On both sides of the borders. I have always used a passport. But have never shown anything to enter Mexico or return from Mexico to the US. I just say I am a American citizen. And then they ask me what I have in my bag. My bag has never been checked either. Well a dog has sniffed it. Just dirty laundry from a great weekend in Boys Town.

Stop Texans from Boys Town? I do not see it happening.

Nomad

Apos
03-26-2006, 11:10 PM
I stand corrected. Still say lots of hell will be raised. On both sides of the borders. I have always used a passport. But have never shown anything to enter Mexico or return from Mexico to the US. I just say I am a American citizen. And then they ask me what I have in my bag. My bag has never been checked either. Well a dog has sniffed it. Just dirty laundry from a great weekend in Boys Town.

Stop Texans from Boys Town? I do not see it happening.

Nomad

i don't think anyone will be stopping them...slowing them down perhaps. i agree that it's unlikely to be a smooth transition...the lineups could be veeeeeeery looooong:rolleyes:

nomad
03-27-2006, 10:48 AM
i don't think anyone will be stopping them...slowing them down perhaps. i agree that it's unlikely to be a smooth transition...the lineups could be veeeeeeery looooong:rolleyes:

I can see it now. Horny Texans swimming the Rio Grande in the opposite direction so they can get to Boys Town! LMAO

B_J_Lover
03-27-2006, 01:11 PM
ALERT - I forgot to add a new procedure last trip (March 16). I bought the tourist card and as soon as I passed out of Immigration (before baggage claim), a guy was standing there collecting them again. I asked it if was a new procedure, he said yes.

Sure enough, when I flew back out, nobody asked me for the card again.

So not sure what that was about, but I had my tourist card about 3 minutes total.

psriches
03-27-2006, 07:18 PM
ALERT - I forgot to add a new procedure last trip (March 16). I bought the tourist card and as soon as I passed out of Immigration (before baggage claim), a guy was standing there collecting them again. I asked it if was a new procedure, he said yes.

Sure enough, when I flew back out, nobody asked me for the card again.

So not sure what that was about, but I had my tourist card about 3 minutes total.I can co-sign on that! I bought my blue entrance/exit card at JFK jet blue counter. They took both attached cards on the way in and asked for nothing on the way out last week.