PDA

View Full Version : DR to Cuba

officemgr
09-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Does anyone know of a boat that goes from DR to Cuba? A dominican in NY told me that he took a trip there from Santo Domingo but I didn't talk to him long enough to get all the details. Is this a high seas moto or something official???

PapiQueRico
09-16-2007, 08:58 PM
It's been a couple of years since I was in the Cuba thing, but there was no comercial boat back then. There are flights both to La Habana and Santiago de Cuba. They are pricey for the distance. Check here

http://www.nashtravel.com/gateways.html

MrHappy
09-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Actually, there was a ferry that sailed from Puerto Plata a few years ago, but no more.

I THINK there are still Thursday and Sunday flights from SDQ.

Beads
09-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Its not that far you could always swim! :rofl:

LM
09-17-2007, 11:25 AM
A couple of us Canadians will be there Oct 16-23. Swim, Boat or Fly and join us.....:wink:

The only thing I'm aware of, is flights out of SDQ......Continental Mike did that flight earlier in the year, he might know a bit more...

Cheeno
09-17-2007, 11:29 AM
A couple of us Canadians will be there Oct 16-23. Swim, Boat or Fly and join us.....:wink:

The only thing I'm aware of, is flights out of SDQ......Continental Mike did that flight earlier in the year, he might know a bit more...

Do you have room in your luggage for a crazy Korean guy? :wink:

Have a safe and fun trip!!! :smile:

LM
09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Do you have room in your luggage for a crazy Korean guy? :wink:

Yep.....Your welcome to join us reserved, quiet Canadians

Downtown
09-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know of a boat that goes from DR to Cuba? A dominican in NY told me that he took a trip there from Santo Domingo but I didn't talk to him long enough to get all the details. Is this a high seas moto or something official???

I'm positive you will not find any "official" ferry service from Cuba to anywhere in the world! The only way you would be able to do so would be on a merchant ship, and those are few and far between account the US embargo. Notwithstanding that, you would have to be on a cruise ship making the appropriate ports of call. But "unofficially" the sky's the limit. As some Cubans would say: "Whatever floats your boat!"

MegaSquirt
09-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Just a thought...what about from Haiti to Cuba??

Tony Toca
09-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Just a thought...what about from Haiti to Cuba??

Are there flights or boats trips available?

MegaSquirt
09-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Are there flights or boats trips available?
That is what I am trying to find out also. :p :p

ilikenyacional
09-17-2007, 10:43 PM
You can fly from Santo Domingo, there is NO BOATS. Or better yet, from Toronto, Montreal, Nassau, Cancun, etc. It seems there are many ways for US citizens to go there. Do a little search, many do it !

LM
09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Just found a Flight...Toronto/Holguin, Cuba...Sept 21, 1 week, $92.00CDN...plus taxes

I think you have to be careful with flights going over U.S. airspace though, as Homeland Security checks those flight manifests.

The best bet for a United States Citizen is still using a "third world" airline originating out of the same country...e.g. Mexico/Cancun to Cuba...DR to Cuba.....

PapiQueRico
09-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Just found a Flight...Toronto/Holguin, Cuba...Sept 21, 1 week, $92.00CDN...plus taxes

I think you have to be careful with flights going over U.S. airspace though, as Homeland Security checks those flight manifests.

The best bet is still using a "third world" airline originating out of the same country...e.g. Mexico/Cancun to Cuba...DR to Cuba.....

It's not just flights flying over US air space. The Canadian authorities share the passenger rosters of all flights with the US. If you don't have an OFAC license forget Canada. There are also rumors about US immigration folks hanging out in the arrivals area in Cancun, though this is sketchy

Corrado
09-18-2007, 12:00 AM
It's not just flights flying over US air space. The Canadian authorities share the passenger rosters of all flights with the US. If you don't have an OFAC license forget Canada. There are also rumors about US immigration folks hanging out in the arrivals area in Cancun, though this is sketchy

The man is correct! A boat is the way to go! If you want to do this you will have to have a friend who has a friend ;) . If a U.S. citizen takes a flight from anywhere in the world to cuba, they will know. The Govt. may not do anything if you are just going for 2-5 days to get pussy, but they know and it is not legal.

LM
09-18-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm always running into Americans when I go to Cuba......as I mentioned in other posts/threads, one of the best and easiest way for an American to get into Cuba actually is by boat. Usually it's boats originating from Florida. Many peps take a nice Caribbean cruise and end up in Cuba.

Marina Hemingway just outside Havana is full of American registered boats. Not so much now as it was a few short years ago.

There are ways of Americans going to Cuba undetected by the U.S. government. I've met many.:wink:

But for people who don't happen to have access to a friend with a large water craft, some of the other options mentioned in previous posts are viable.

Also I have seen Continental and American Airlines commuter aircraft sitting on the tarmac at Havana and Holguin......

Downtown
09-18-2007, 06:33 PM
The man is correct! A boat is the way to go! If you want to do this you will have to have a friend who has a friend ;) . If a U.S. citizen takes a flight from anywhere in the world to cuba, they will know. The Govt. may not do anything if you are just going for 2-5 days to get pussy, but they know and it is not legal.

Pure speculation and paranoia! I think you should do some research. Check out websites like www.lonelyplanet.com and see for yourself. Like my buddy LM said, I too have met many Americans in Cuba, more so than any other country in Caribbean.

In terms of Canada and other countries providing passenger lists though, the jury is still out. No fly lists, yes of course. But general flight manifests? I for one and many, many others have no evidence of this, or else many more US travellers would have been charged.

The US planes sometimes seen at Cuban airports are usually OFAC sanctioned flights (for example - church ministries, charitable organizations, medical relief flights, etc).

There was a time, short lived however, that the US government did not allow Cuban registered airlines (Cubana, etc) or even Canadian airlines to fly over US airspace to and from the Big Island. I know having been on some that had to fly basically to the Atlantic Ocean from Toronto, then along the Atlantic seaboard. This added 2-3 hours to every flight. After much political intervention, especially from the Canadian government, the US lifted the ban.

PapiQueRico
09-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I would not go as far as Corrado did, but what I posted about flight rosters is from a source I consider to be both honest, and in a position to know. Accept it or not as you wish. I do not post these warnings frivilously. Certainly not with any goal to disuade people from traveling to Cuba, as I find the embargo to be repulsive. I simply prefer that people make informed decisions.

There are OFAC sanctioned flights every day, from many US cities including New York, Miami and Los Angeles. There are also legal connections through Jamaica from other cities including Atlanta. These are for groups with specific licenses from OFAC, and for individuals with general licenses (no paper, just the legal right to travel) like those with immeadiate family in Cuba (once every three years at this point).

continentalmike
09-23-2007, 09:50 AM
One can fly to Havana from SDQ using Cubana (cuban airlines). Cubana never shares their info with the US govt. Your passport will not be stamped either

If you use this option your travel might not be discovered