PDA

View Full Version : Public Cars (Question from an e mail)

Jimmydr
07-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi Jimmy!
How do you know the public cars from the rest? Do they have a specific place where you can catch them in Sosua? If you use one at night to go to Cabarete, can you catch one to bring you back to Sosua late at night? Thanks

Jimmydr
07-06-2004, 10:03 AM
They have routes all over the island, are beat up and load up to 7 people in them. They run until 5am most of the time.

Macky
08-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Jimmy-

I was using the guaguas and private cars last trip. The private cars I caught at the guagua stops. However I was in Rio San Juan and wanted to get back to Cabarete about 8PM and there were no private cars, the driver of one- on the way there-- told me they stop running about 7 or 8. Or maybe this was because I was in the boonies that night. Do they run later at night around the more touristed areas only?

Jimmydr
08-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Jimmy-

I was using the guaguas and private cars last trip. The private cars I caught at the guagua stops. However I was in Rio San Juan and wanted to get back to Cabarete about 8PM and there were no private cars, the driver of one- on the way there-- told me they stop running about 7 or 8. Or maybe this was because I was in the boonies that night. Do they run later at night around the more touristed areas only?

Gwa Gwa stops at 7-8PM. Cars run until 5am. The Sosua cars run all the way to Rio San Juan. I rode them at 3am before.

Macky
08-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info, Jimmy. I figured the guy in Rio San Juan was lying when he said the private cars had stopped running, but it was getting dark and a little strange, guys walking around with guns in their waistband, so I ate the 20 bucks to get back to Cabarete. It turned out to be worth it in a way, because I learned something important. It changed my mind about using the services of a local driver--- if the guy is the right one--- for finding a chica. On the way back we started chatting about politics, and the area, and then about chicas. Once he heard that he asked me what kind of chica I liked. I described her. Within 10 minutes he had pulled over to a roadside bar and called a girl by name and there she was--- miss perfect. Previously I never considered using that method but now I think it could save me a lot of time looking. Didn't bring her back--- I was tired and had a chica back in Cabarete that I was interested in. Still it was a good lesson and he pointed out a bunch of other places along the way, and other info. Next trip I will have to make that run again and hit all those places and take a look.

nomad
08-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Transito Publico cuts off at night. Not sure what hour. They do not run all night. I use them and gua guas, always. If you need a taxi let me know. I will have the cheapest guy you have ever met there. No english but her will find where you are going. I will tell him. If I was planning a trip I would use Domincan Ray. He is trustworthy and well known by us all.

Nomad