PDA

View Full Version : Fellas.... What's Up With That 26% Restaurant Tax???

HombreSucio
09-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Is that something to haggle over or just outright refuse to pay (which i'd let the manager know upfront!)

Is this some gringo "scam" tax??? (gee, i would never publically admit to believing everything in the DR is a scam!!)

16% sales tax???
10% pooled tip for staff%

then more for the individual waiter at some discretionary rate?

what the fuck's the real deal with these add-ons?? :confused:

Jimmydr
09-22-2007, 01:46 PM
We paid that at the Marriott as well. Its no scam, its the legal tax in that country. Additional tipping is not required.

Deniro
09-22-2007, 01:49 PM
that shit is the reason i don't go to La Roca anymore! read the menu and ask the waitress is ITBIS included. i hate that shit.

Jimmydr
09-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Its in the plane ticket price as well. They are killing us.

Mags
09-22-2007, 02:01 PM
The regular sales tax in the D.R. is 16%.
You pay the 16% even if you rent a villa.

The additional 10% is usually charged at restaurants & bars for the service charge. Is is common and legal.

HombreSucio
09-22-2007, 03:04 PM
We paid that at the Marriott as well. Its no scam, its the legal tax in that country. Additional tipping is not required.

i'm aware it's a law on their books and expect to pay the full amount to a business that i believe will turn the taxes over to the proper authorities!!! especially since i'd expect an international corporation like Marriott to do that!

And then again, a place like the Marriott is most likely receiving mainly credit card revenue and therefore can't really pocket cash and underreport sales when audited both internally and externally because there are too many management layers with checks and balances, unlike a small business such as "Sosua Restaurants and Hotels, etc."!!

you know those establishments damn well aren't turning over the taxes!! or at least not a lot of it! they are probably paying the suppliers cash off the books at least every other invoice, if not every 2 out of three invoices!!!

and as far as "the additional tipping" i'd feel better if the poor little dominican waiter got a little extra from me rather than the restaurant owner making a windfall from holding back my tax payment!

jimmy... i know you understand what i'm trying to say!

so with that in mind, (said tongue in cheek...) ever haggle with a maitre'd over the menu prices to compensate for the huge tax rate charged???

and.... do you really think the locals pay 26+% or is this only a "Gringo" tax?? when i get fucked.... i at least want to get kissed!!!

I maybe a Dirty Man, but i ain't stupid!!!

Beads
09-22-2007, 03:11 PM
you can also choose to not eat at places where the tax is not included or these taxes make the prices unreasonable. if you pay in cash there are plenty of options for both hotels and food. remember you can always use your ATM or PayPal debit card and get pesos from an ATM machine or bring cash and get pesos. Read the menus and choose places where the prices include all these taxes if you don't like it.

They do rape us on taxes over there. Its getting to a point where the DR is not a cheap vacation anymore and as can be seen people are choosing other places to spend their vacation money.

elsucio
09-22-2007, 05:16 PM
I had a chica friend who waited tables in Juan Dolio, she stated they saw very little of that tip money, i am finding more and more don't charge the tax, especialy if you pay in cash and it is a small place, most Dominicans don't generally tip, its kinda an American thing...

HombreSucio
09-22-2007, 06:05 PM
I had a chica friend who waited tables in Juan Dolio, she stated they saw very little of that tip money, i am finding more and more don't charge the tax, especialy if you pay in cash and it is a small place, most Dominicans don't generally tip, its kinda an American thing...

lovely!!! just fuckin' lovely!!!!

they get to fuck all them chicas without condoms and knock them up for scott free and never, ever pay child support......

and i have to pay and pay and pay and also wear a condom!!!

just lovely! where's the justice??? :icontd: :mad: :eek:

elsucio
09-22-2007, 06:13 PM

they get to fuck all them chicas without condoms and knock them up for scott free and never, ever pay child support......

Life is so much easier when we come to realize fairness is an illusion

Bug Boy
09-28-2007, 05:36 PM

When in Rome do as the Romans do.

greydread
09-28-2007, 06:15 PM

The justice lies in the fact that we get to return home where the fucking lights don't go out every day and the water runs all the time (you can even drink it out of the faucet without dying), kids actually go to school and learn a little something without us having to pay extra and we stand a much greater chance of not getting shot (especially by the police).

Oh yeah... and we get paid so well that our Daughters, Sisters and Wives don't need to sell punani to make ends meet.

Man, stop bitching about a 26% tax on a fucking $12 dinner bill. Back home you'd have paid three times that.

HombreSucio
09-28-2007, 06:35 PM
The justice lies in the fact that we get to return home where the fucking lights don't go out every day and the water runs all the time (you can even drink it out of the faucet without dying), kids actually go to school and learn a little something without us having to pay extra and we stand a much greater chance of not getting shot (especially by the police).

Oh yeah... and we get paid so well that our Daughters, Sisters and Wives don't need to sell punani to make ends meet.

Man, stop bitching about a 26% tax on a fucking $12 dinner bill. Back home you'd have paid three times that.

i think you should take things less literally and laugh more!

ilikenyacional
09-28-2007, 09:21 PM
i think you should take things less literally and laugh more!

Maybe what you say is not funny ?!!!! Sorry, you don't make me laugh...

HombreSucio
10-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Maybe what you say is not funny ?!!!! Sorry, you don't make me laugh...

no problem! so why don't you say something funny!