PDA

View Full Version : Good news for Puerto Plata

NewsWhore
10-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Puerto Plata gets a nonstop connection to New York again. JetBlue Airways announced effective 10 January 2008 it will be flying into the north coast airport from New York City's JFK International Airport. Fares for the nonstop flight begin at US$109 each way (plus taxes and airport charges). The flight has convenient travel times, with a JFK departure at 10:30am for arrival on 3:20pm to POP. The return flight leaves POP at 4:15pm getting into JFK by 7:05pm.
The decision will benefit the north coast destinations. After AA discontinued their flights to the Gregorio Luperon Puerto Plata International Airport, independent travelers had to make a Miami or San Juan, Puerto Rico stopover or land at the Cibao International Airport, and make the hour-long trip to Puerto Plata.
The decision is also welcomed by the north coast communities, and recognized by New York politicians. "I am so pleased that JetBlue is continuing their commitment to bringing New Yorkers more access to low cost travel options by offering this new service between JFK and the Caribbean," said Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, commenting on the new flight. "This is particularly welcome news for many New Yorkers in our Caribbean community who are looking for affordable air fare options so they can visit family and friends back home."
"Congratulations to JetBlue on this expansion to the Caribbean," said Chairman Charles Rangel (NY-15th). "My Congressional District has the largest population of Dominicans outside of the Dominican Republic. JetBlue's expansion of service to not only Santo Domingo and Santiago, but to Puerto Plata as well, will make it much more convenient for my constituents to visit the island and their relatives."
Tourism Minister Felix Jimenez also celebrated the new flight. "We offer JetBlue and all its customers the warmest welcome to Puerto Plata," said Mr. Felix Jimenez, minister of tourism of the Dominican Republic. "The Dominican north coast offers innumerable tourist attractions, world class golf, extreme sports, adventure tourism and a tremendous diversity of accommodations and gastronomy. Don't miss the opportunity to discover the most complete vacation destination in the Caribbean, which all can enjoy with serenity, safety and fun."

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#14)