PDA

View Full Version : Off The Wall Beer Question

Reel Deal
07-14-2004, 04:12 PM
How do you think a microbrewery would go over in the Sosua area? Like a brew pub/bar/sports bar sort of thing?

Just sold my businesses, and am gonna do something fun in semi-retirement. I will be a Certified Craft Brewmaster in a couple of months, and have the $$$ and business experience to do something cool.

I've been pondering being an ex-pat in the DR for 15 years now.

Opinions greatly appreciated, flames cheerfully ignored... :D

RickRock
07-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Sounds like a good idea, would be cool to see a large variety of beer's - but be forwarned that importing into the DR carry's heavy tax burdens..

what you should import is some Asian chicas.. sort of like a international house of putas :)

Jimmydr
07-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Very interesting idea, may work as a hobby.

Reel Deal
07-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Sounds like a good idea, would be cool to see a large variety of beer's - but be forwarned that importing into the DR carry's heavy tax burdens..

what you should import is some Asian chicas.. sort of like a international house of putas :)I'm talking a small brewery there, not importing. Something like a 600g batch capacity. You could run maybe 3-4 styles at a time.

Jimmydr
07-14-2004, 04:26 PM

what you should import is some Asian chicas.. sort of like a international house of putas :)I'm talking a small brewery there, not importing. Something like a 600g batch capacity. You could run maybe 3-4 styles at a time.

What does that mean in English? 600g?? How many 12 oz servings?

Reel Deal
07-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Very interesting idea, may work as a hobby.'splain me.

Is there a market, IYO? Are there not profitable bars in the area? I just saw a 4200sf sports bar/restaurant for sale in DT Sosua for less than $150k.

Gotta be enough tourists who would frequent a micro brewery...

Jimmydr
07-14-2004, 04:30 PM
What do you call profitable? Making $100 a week, $500 a week. Many are starving there or just getting by.

RickRock
07-14-2004, 04:31 PM
it can be hard to turn a profit in the DR.. if you notice a large number of established businesses in the north coast are for rent or sale right now

Jimmydr
07-14-2004, 04:31 PM
"Reel Deal"Is there a market, IYO? Are there not profitable bars in the area? I just saw a 4200sf sports bar/restaurant for sale in DT Sosua for less than $150k.

Gotta be enough tourists who would frequent a micro brewery...

Wilson just bought a restaurant, the one next to Bolgna Bar for $22,000.

Reel Deal
07-14-2004, 04:44 PM
it can be hard to turn a profit in the DR.. if you notice a large number of established businesses in the north coast are for rent or sale right nowIs that because of the economic downturn after 9/11? Tourism is usually the first industry to tank. I understand the Europeans-especially Germans-are bailing from the area. I see real estate prices are stable and dropping for some really decent digs.

I do understand there is some political concern in the DR. I know elections are a month away, but don't know much about DR politics. I read about some funny business going on economically regarding printing more money to cover bonds.

I've made some decent $$$ buying RE in downturns, and starting businesses when everybody else is dumping. You can usually get some good buys then. The secret is having the economic horsepower to survive for a while.

I could use a couple of years away anyway, and can afford to do it. Maybe a fun hobby in Paradise, surrounded by friends and good buds, wouldn't be such a bad thing.

And next to pussy, isn't good beer an international language?

Reel Deal
07-14-2004, 04:45 PM
(Cool...a poll. I hope to get some really good, well thought out ideas and responses...)

Jimmydr
07-14-2004, 04:48 PM
(Cool...a poll. I hope to get some really good, well thought out ideas and responses...)

This is a great topic. With Jet Blue expanding here, Billy opening an hotel, another Palace project and Scott building a small hotel, many more Americans will come.

BrooklynBeas
07-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Reel I wish you the best but make sure before you spend a shitload of money you know everything there is to owning a business in the DR... speak with some guys that own things down there ... leases, people to pay off, if needed, and even if you have a boatload of money it sucks to throw it out the window... I always wanted to own a sports bar here in NY but i just dont have the backing to do it... im sick of working 14 hr days for someone else ! Beas

Reel Deal
07-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Reel I wish you the best but make sure before you spend a shitload of money you know everything there is to owning a business in the DR... speak with some guys that own things down there ... leases, people to pay off, if needed, and even if you have a boatload of money it sucks to throw it out the window... I always wanted to own a sports bar here in NY but i just dont have the backing to do it... im sick of working 14 hr days for someone else ! BeasI have made very few mistakes in business. Wimmin? That's a different story, but not when real $$$ is on the line.

I do nothing without doing exhaustive research. I invest heavily in lawyers. I have a line on a couple of DR firms who are well-respected. Any other referrals would be greatly appreciated.

I've been in the Carribean enough to know that business there ain't like the US. In some respects, that makes it easier.

I'm not into throwing a boatload of money away. But I'm not into making a fortune there, either.

Reel Deal
07-14-2004, 05:07 PM

This is a great topic. With Jet Blue expanding here, Billy opening an hotel, another Palace project and Scott building a small hotel, many more Americans will come.I wonder why all these guys just don't get together, pool resources and talents, and leverage the different ideas into a workable business model.

Always worked for me. Rarely does any single guy have the $$$, experience, and mental horsepower to do it all.

RickRock
07-14-2004, 05:08 PM
The elections are long passed, Leonel of the PLD won, he was the president of the DR 1996-2000 - during his term the DR economy seen one of it's largest growth periods ever. He comes into office in August.

In the North Coast, real estate prices are actually rising.. the owner of Ebay just purchased a huge plot of land in the north coast from what I have heard.. there is a large economic downturn, respected economists are now saying that if the VERY BEST outcome that they can see coming out of 2005 is ZERO GROWTH. Combine this with government and finacial institution corruption, high inflation %, sinking wages, and a tourist industry that after a large boom in years past is now loosing; and you could see why many would be weary about diving head first into anything.

As a hobby, almost anything can be fun, that of course is subjective. As a business I would say that you have to do your homework, do your research, spend some real time there and check things out, vacations are nice, even spanning up to a month, but living there can be a different picture. To me it's big deal, I grew up in a developing country and spent the rest of my life in the Bronx which had been described by many as a third world country in itself :)

I am by no means trying to deter you, just offering some friendly advice to check things out before hand.. if you do decide to do it I wish you much luck ! :D

edit: Fabio Guzman would be my recomendation for a Lawyer on the North Coast.

Reel Deal
07-14-2004, 09:54 PM

What does that mean in English? 600g?? How many 12 oz servings?600 gallons. About 6000 12oz. drafts. There are slightly over 10 drafts a gallon.

It doesn't make great economic sense to make 300g batches. Quality control and consistency are harder, it takes the same amount of labor, and the equipment for 600g isn't that much more expensive.

I suppose it could be bottled, but it's MUCH easier to put it in refrigerated 30g kegs.

I had a Presidente tonight I got from the local supermarket. Been a while since I had one. It tasted vaguely familiar. So I popped open a Rolling Rock. Bingo! That's it. Very similar beers. But Presidente has much more alcohol.

Maybe I should put together a Limited Partnership or LLC and have you guys toss a few sheckles into the deal. Then you could use your DR trip as a quite legitimate tax write-off. We WOULD need shareholder meetings, would we not? Besides, wouldn't you also have to check on your investment? And you'd be a big shot there...

RickRock
07-14-2004, 10:08 PM
the presidentes in the states are different, less alch %.

How would you get the brewing equip into the island, or do you plan to buy there. Where would you brew, on premis?

What's the minimum buy in to the LLC gonna be .. you know for poor people like me :lol:

nomad
07-14-2004, 11:01 PM
The ex-pat's have a saying. IF you want to make a million dollars in DR. Come to DR with 3 million.

Nomad

Reel Deal
07-15-2004, 07:22 AM
the presidentes in the states are different, less alch %. Then it's a different beer than what we get here. You can't just up the alcohol content without affecting the whole taste of beer.

How would you get the brewing equip into the island, or do you plan to buy there. Where would you brew, on premis?Good question. I'm assuming it would have to be imported. It's basically a bunch of big drums, plumbing, pumps and stuff. Go by a brew pub and see what I mean. I would brew on-premises, for sure. It's sort of a show. Most people are fascinated by the process. Other than storage of grain, hops, etc., it wouldn't take more than 500sf of space.

What's the minimum buy in to the LLC gonna be .. you know for poor people like me :lol:I have no idea. Lots of work, research, and planning to do. But I would be open to it; I've done a couple of successful LP's and LLC's in the past. Anyone interested should PM me, and I'll put you into the planning loop.

I'm looking to head down there for several days in maybe late Aug. to early Oct. prolly during the week, or through a weekend when the Bucs are not in town. Anybody wanna join me?

Reel Deal
07-15-2004, 07:42 AM
The ex-pat's have a saying. IF you want to make a million dollars in DR. Come to DR with 3 million.

Nomad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prolly true just about everywhere. Many businesses fail, whether in the hottest neighborhood of Atlanta GA or the DR.

The real question is WHY they fail. The 3 primary reasons are:

1) Undercapitalised. In addition to basic start-up costs, if you don't have 6 months operating costs, 2 inventory turns, and a business plan that doesn't break even for 2 years with the cash capital to do it, you have maybe a 15% chance of survival.

2) Lack of Entrepreneural Experience. You learn business by fucking up. Fucking up shows you what NOT to do. Desire and passion count for a lot-you won't be successful without them-but your chances of success are greatly elevated by experience.

3) No or an Unrealistic Business Plan or Model. It's crazy to just "wing it". THEN it's a hobby, not a business.

I don't care where you try to go into business. If you cover these 3 bases, you have significantly upped your chances of success.

I find it intriguing that the chief honcho of ebay has invested very heavily in North Shore real estate. They are not spooked about the current economic conditions; I'll assume they have done their due diligence. I try to be forward thinking.This may be an interesting, lower cost environment for a start-up, like buying when the market is down. We'll see.

BrooklynBeas
07-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Reel, you sound like you made up your mind already ... How much do you think its will take in dollar amount to start your business including everything... Land, equipment,supplies,payoffs, etc...

BrooklynBeas
07-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Reel, why not move to NYC open up a sports bar with uhm well who else .. me!... with your backing and our minds put together it will be a money making experience which we can have fun at the same time!.. eventually when the bar is in full swing making tons of money we will start the microbrewing business and put our beers... where else in our bar... of course the drink specials will be well of course our beer...

Reel Deal
07-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Reel, you sound like you made up your mind already ... How much do you think its will take in dollar amount to start your business including everything... Land, equipment,supplies,payoffs, etc...Not really. My mind is hardly made up. It IS intriguing to me, however. I've been considering being an ex-pat there since the late 80's. I don't need to work anymore (if I'm somewhat frugal), but I am not ready to retire. I'm only 52, and still in excellent athletic shape-I look early 40's.

Give me a few months of research, and I'll know costs. I do know what it costs here in FL, and I have the juice to do it here. I can't imagine it's more expensive in the DR.