PDA

View Full Version : Does this article make any sense ???

Gutter Meat
11-13-2007, 04:10 AM
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TURNING THE CLOCKS BACKWARDS IN DOMINICAN REPUBLIC WOULD MEAN AN EXTRA HOUR OF DAYLIGHT??? WHEN YOU TURN THE CLOCKS BACKWARDS IF IM NOT MISTAKEN (FALL BACK) IT GETS DARKER EARLIER. THEN THEY TALK ABOUT HOW THEY TRIED MOVING THE CLOCK FOWARD BY MISTAKE AND IT GOT DARK TOO EARLY!! UMMM, IF YOU MOVE THE CLOCK FOWARD DOESN'T GET DARK LATER ? I ONLY HAD 4 BEERS TONIGHT. IS IT ME ? OR DID THEY GET THEIR ARTICLE BACKWARDS (NO PUN INTENDED) THEMSELVES?

From Sosua news......

The editors of sacandomelao (digital newsletter for Sosúa and surrounding areas) have asked why we don't turn the clocks back in this country, as occurs in other areas of the world. Turning the clocks back to 'winter time' means an extra hour of daylight. This would be beneficial to schools, companies, bars and restaurants along the beach etc. Schools and companies would save electricity, and the bars could stay open longer.
Apparently the Dominican Republic has had some experience with changing the clocks for summer and winter time. This was tried under the previous president, Hipolito Mejía. But they made a mistake and turned the clock forward one hour, instead of backward, so that the sun set at 4pm and it was totally black by 6pm. Companies protested so much that this procedure was cancelled after only three months trial.

According to sacandomelao newsletter, turning the clocks back during the winter would provide so many advantages that it should be implemented immediately. For example, scholchildren could go to school in daylight and return home before dark, which is much safer and could result in considerable energy savings.
So politicians - what are you waiting for?

Apos
11-13-2007, 09:23 AM
only 4 beers, eh? :D (you're both right)

you're right that it would get darker earlier...in the evening, but it would also get lighter earlier for most people.
unless they were getting up before sunrise.

the issue i see is getting everyone to actually change their clocks/watches, etc...and there's no way! :eek::smile:

you'd have at least 2 different times floating around, perhaps more as some people would never change it, many would change it late (or early), for both spring ahead and fall back, and some would change it once but never go back!

it's bad enough no, isn't it? Imagine the chaos! :rofl:

Gutter Meat
11-13-2007, 04:52 PM
They fixed the article to read foward.