PDA

View Full Version : Serbia's Treatment of Disabled People!!

3somefan
11-14-2007, 07:10 PM
I saw this in the evening news tonight and I was very touched. I have copied the article and a link to NBC where you can see some of the video footage taken from the institutions. WARNING: Some of the footage is pretty graphic!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21790870/

By DUSAN STOJANOVIC
Associated Press Writer

updated 1:28 p.m. CT, Wed., Nov. 14, 2007
BELGRADE, Serbia - Troubled children bound tightly to fetid cribs they have never left since birth. A 6-year-old boy who tried to rip off his ear while tied to a chair. A teenage girl who attempted to gouge out her eyes as mental hospital staff stood by and did nothing.

The scenes of horror are chronicled in a report released Wednesday by Mental Disability Rights International, a U.S.-based human rights group that alleges systematic abuse of mentally disabled patients in Serbia's psychiatric hospitals and social care institutions.

Allegations in the report could not be independently confirmed.

Serbia's Social Affairs Minister Rasim Ljajic said he "agreed with parts of the report" _ and ordered that one of the institutions cited by MDRI stop admitting children because it houses more than 500 "severely retarded" patients.

Health Minister Tomica Milosavljevic said he had not read the report but conceded that psychiatric facilities had continued to suffer as the nation struggled to recover from a series of civil wars in the 1990s.

"My reflex reaction is that during (Serbia's) transition, the most vulnerable groups, like handicapped people, suffer the most," he said.

Still, he said the report did not appear to adequately take into account the progress Serbia has made since 2000 to improve conditions in psychiatric hospitals.

"I'm not saying that everything is ideal, far from it," Milosavljevic said. "But ... I don't think that the problems (listed in the report) are illustrating the true situation."

Serbia's mistreatment of the mentally ill was exposed after autocratic President Slobodan Milosevic was overthrown in a popular revolt in 2000. During Milosevic's 11-year rule, health care standards plummeted as government funding was diverted to paying for the wars in Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo.

Serbia is not alone in mistreating the mentally handicapped, the group said. Mental Disability Rights International has released similar reports on facilities in Romania, Hungary, Mexico, Peru, Russia, Turkey, Uruguay, Argentina and Serbia's province of Kosovo.

The report attributed abuse and neglect largely to understaffed and underfinanced hospitals. It could represent a setback for the Balkan nation as it seeks to join the European Union.

The group said it would send its report to the EU, the United Nations and other international organizations.

It said conditions in Serbia's mental hospitals have vastly improved with help from foreign donors, but much more needs to be done "to address the serious human rights problems that exist for some 18,000" patients.

Some children and adults with disabilities never leave their beds or cribs and some are tied down for "a lifetime" to keep them from harming themselves, it said. The report said the most extreme human rights violations "are tantamount to torture."

"They eat, they go to bathroom and die in those cribs," Laurie Ahern, MDRI's investigator, said as the group showed a graphic video of the patients and poor conditions in Serbia's mental institutions.

Mental Disability Rights International

"To tie a person down and leave him in bed for life is tantamount to torture," said Eric Rosenthal, executive director of the Washington-based group.

"I looked into the crib and saw a child who looked to be 7 or 8 years old," the group quoted one of its investigators as saying. "The nurse told me he was 21 and had been in the institution for eleven years. ... I asked her how often he was taken out of the crib and she said, 'Never, he has never been out of the crib in 11 years.'"

Ahern said that the boy, who suffers from Down syndrome and can hardly communicate, is visited by his mother.

"When his mother comes, tears are in his eyes," Ahern said. "She wants to take the child back home, but she has no means to support him."

The report says that many of the children incessantly try to hurt themselves and that the commonly accepted "treatment" for self-abuse is the use of physical restrains.

"The practice actually exacerbates the underlying psychological damage to the person, resulting in continued self-abuse and even more physical restraint," it said, adding that MDRI investigators saw many children at the institution biting and chewing their own fingers.

The group recommended that some of Serbia's mental institutions should be closed and their patients allowed access to "education, employment, decent and safe housing, friends and family based on their disability."

weyland
11-15-2007, 04:42 AM
3some this is extremely distressing to read, but I am sorry to say it could be paralleled in most former East Bloc and Third World countries. It is a result of poverty, war conditions, and ignorance (very often encouraged by the dominant religous authorities). All these combine to produce a situation of despair, where even well-meaning people have to close their ears and eyes to it otherwise their own already very difficult lives would become impossible to bear.

A few years ago the England soccer coach said that he had no sympathy with mentally or physically disabled people. They were being punished for having sinned in a previous life. If a prominent public figure can say that in a First World country, imagine the situation in the countries cited in your report where superstition is actively encouraged. Of course superstition doesn't only come from organised religions. The Nazis murdered all handicapped people but their crackpot ideology was a sort of substitute for religion.

3somefan
11-15-2007, 07:06 PM
You are right Weyland! I was very alarmed when I saw and read this! It really touches home with me in particular because 4 of my adopted younger siblings have special needs...I could never imagine them being treated in this way. In many ways they have all made leaps and bounds just from attention and love alone!!

IMHO..these governments and there leaders should be held accountable for this cruel and inhumane treatment!!!

Jimmydr
11-15-2007, 07:08 PM
You are right Weyland! I was very alarmed when I saw and read this! It really touches home with me in particular because 4 of my adopted younger siblings have special needs...I could never imagine them being treated in this way. In many ways they have all made leaps and bounds just from attention and love alone!!

IMHO..these governments and there leaders should be held accountable for this cruel and inhumane treatment!!!

There are a foursome, Fivesome, Sixsome and Sevensome?

3somefan
11-15-2007, 07:16 PM
There are a foursome, Fivesome, Sixsome and Sevensome?

YEP! A lot more than that!! 6 sisters and 4 brothers..now but the adoption of a 7th sister is in the works.

SJG
11-16-2007, 08:32 AM
That sounds like something Beads would do to the street vendors and beggers in Sosua.....

weyland
11-16-2007, 03:10 PM
This story is getting a lot of coverage in the UK now, and rightly so. But it is largely politically motivated. As I said, you could read the same about thirty other countries in the world. Looks like NATO is gearing up to bomb Serbia again soon. They haven't attacked any new countries lately. That will really help the disabled there.

weyland
11-16-2007, 03:12 PM
That sounds like something Beads would do to the street vendors and beggers in Sosua.....
Beads is a changed man lately. Modest and moderate in words and behaviour. An elder statesman of ISOC.