PDA

View Full Version : Great Britain needs a National Motto

Don Tomas
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
It must have seemed such a simple wheeze to Gordon Brown: a motto to capture what makes Britain great. The idea ticks so many boxes on the Prime Minister’s to-do list that it proved irresistible to him.
Well some of the papers have setup submission sites for suggestions, here are some of my favorites...

"Britain, a terribly nice place"
"Less stuffy than we sound"
"Stubborn to the point of greatness"
"Promoting ahistorical unity myths since 1066."
"Once Great: Britain"
"Once mighty empire, slightly used"
"Americans who missed the boat"
"At least we’re not France!"
"Dipso, Fatso, Bingo, Asbo, Tesco." (alcohol, obesity, gambling, antisocial youth, and materialism)
"Get blotto, play the lotto, that's our motto"

PS. Weyland which one is your favorite?

weyland
11-16-2007, 02:09 PM
There is no such country or nation as Great Britain. Great Britain is purely a geographical term for the greatest (meaning largest) of the many islands comprising the British Isles. It comprises the mainland portions of England, Scotland and Wales.

There is a de facto entity called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Not too far in the future, though regrettably probably not during my lifetime, it will cease to exist. England, Scotland and, somewhat later, Wales, will be separate nations within the European Union. The six counties currently known as Northern Ireland will take their proper place within the Irish Republic.

England is the only country in the world without its own parliament or government. Otherwise I would probably be President or Prime Minister. When it does resume its rightful, ancient and historic role among the great nations I think the national motto should be "Everything stops for tea!"

Don Tomas
11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
There is no such country or nation as Great Britain. Great Britain is purely a geographical term for the greatest (meaning largest) of the many islands comprising the British Isles. It comprises the mainland portions of England, Scotland and Wales.

There is a de facto entity called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Not too far in the future, though regrettably probably not during my lifetime, it will cease to exist. England, Scotland and, somewhat later, Wales, will be separate nations within the European Union. The six counties currently known as Northern Ireland will take their proper place within the Irish Republic.

England is the only country in the world without its own parliament or government. Otherwise I would probably be President or Prime Minister. When it does resume its rightful, ancient and historic role among the great nations I think the national motto should be "Everything stops for tea!"

Thanks for the geography lesson, I should have said "Britain needs a National Motto".

One of your newspapers said Britain which I presume is a PC name for England? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article2852658.ece

PS. I recall reading somewhere Scotland was trying to vote and leave the UK.

The six counties currently known as Northern Ireland will take their proper place within the Irish Republic.

Can we send the Protestants back?:lol:

26+6=1

weyland
11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Weyland which one is your favorite?
Why am I always singled out on this board as the token Brit? Especially as I never think of myself as British, but always English and European?

We have other members in ISOC from the UK, some of them of much longer standing than me, and certainly more typical of UK mongers in age, activities and alcohol intake.

If you have a question for geriatric haitophiles then by all means say "Hey, Weyland, what do you think?" otherwise pick on rly69, thunderstar, divingmarky, or someone else for a change.

Don Tomas
11-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Why am I always singled out on this board as the token Brit? Especially as I never think of myself as British, but always English and European?

We have other members in ISOC from the UK, some of them of much longer standing than me, and certainly more typical of UK mongers in age, activities and alcohol intake.

If you have a question for geriatric haitophiles then by all means say "Hey, Weyland, what do you think?" otherwise pick on rly69, thunderstar, divingmarky, or someone else for a change.

Name - Post Count
Weyland - 2813
thunderstar - 370
rley69 - 240
dukes1963 - 49
divingmarky - 30

hmmm I wonder why you are the "token" Brit? Maybe because you post 4x more then all of the other UK citizens combined!

PS. By no means stop posting buddy, I just saw the story in Google news today and couldn't resist.....

PPS. I also heard you converted your mill house in Surrey:
http://www.countrylife.co.uk/news/property/article/154666/Stylish_flats_in_Surrey.html

weyland
11-16-2007, 02:37 PM
One of your newspapers said Britain
Newpapers and TV are staffed with ignorant, illiterate morons nowadays. Don't imitate anything they say. When I was young "The Times" and the BBC were world leaders. No longer.

Can we send the Protestants back?
That is precisely the sort of stupid bigoted remark which caused Ireland to be divided in the first place (although I presume DT is saying it with tongue in cheek). Fortunately the creators of the Irish constitution were more far-sighted than him because the Irish Republic is a secular state where those of all faiths and no faith have equal rights, including the right to remain in the country where they were born. Through the general rise in prosperity, largely occasioned by membership of the European Union, religious rivalries are becoming ever less important in all parts of Ireland. There may be the odd flare-up, usually caused by some shit-stirring politician, but the overall trend is towards greater tolerance, acceptance, or perhaps just apathy. Apathy can be good sometimes, especially where religion is involved. Ireland is one of the few national success stories in the world today. I can't say its people haven't been due for a break.

Don Tomas
11-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey, I like to watch BBC! Compared to the watered down news we get here in US, BBC is nice alternative to what's going on in the world.

Yes it was tongue in cheek.

weyland
11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Name - Post Count
thunderstar - 370
When is thunderstar going to give us a proper report on his (17?) weeks in the DR this summer?

I also heard you converted your mill house in Surrey

Yes, I know that place. Not far from me. Delightful village, but note the prices for small condos (£1 = $2.05 approx). But what is your connection to it, DT? Is the IRA planning to disrupt watercress production by blowing up the millwheel?

Don Tomas
11-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Yes, I know that place. Not far from me. Delightful village, but note the prices for small condos (£1 = $2.05 approx). But what is your connection to it, DT? Is the IRA planning to disrupt watercress production by blowing up the millwheel?

I figured it was your house and you were cashing out finally and moving to the DR.

I customize my Google news for mostly tech stuff and world news (with a touch on Real Estate, so I can dream when I buy a lotto ticket, not that I would buy in England!).