PDA

View Full Version : Sosua clubs guide Jan-Feb 2006 : the ones I liked and the others

ilikenyacional
02-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I was in Sosua for 25 days and probably 24 nights in various clubs and disco. Here is my take on them.

Beginning from the east to the west.

Canoa: This is an open-air typical Dominican disco. You will not see much tourists here, and no whores but, some waitress are available for company and more after hour if you want. I had one and she was good. Only Dominican music here: Bachata and Merengue. I like that place when I'm tired with the same international music everywhere and tired with whores. This is more of a normal place. Cheap prices, good music and almost-normal girls.

Domino-Four-roses: Always a classic, good for early drinking. Four roses seemed always busier than the bigger Domino. The waitress are friendly and funny. Open air and varied music. Always availables chicas, but always the same one.

Plaza Alegria: In front of Four roses, this one was new for me. Open air,Round bar, nicely done. Same set-up as Domino-Four roses but there is a bonus: on the back, there is a sign that say "After Hour bar" and a couple of doors. The guys I was with (Lotech, Learningman, Kevy, Juan I think) did not know the place neither. The girls were asking us to go take a look. So let's go, Ok, I get it now. There was a couple of ex-Flamingo stripper at the bar and the After Hour bar is actually a very small strip-club. One girl put some music, we sit in front of the small stage and order drink. We've seen 3 girls dance and strip for the four of us. The girls were available for on-site activity in small room in the back. Kind of a nice surprise for me. Ask Lotech for pics.

Sea Crets: New place, just opened end of January. The place consist of a big round open-air bar with a disco in the back. The place is very nice, they must have put a lot of money in there. It's from the same owner than Sosua Life. It's really two different place. The outside bar is very cool. The staff is friendly and I liked the place. But, I didn't liked the disco. Very loud, very dark and not my kind of music. So, I never stayed there for more than 30 minutes. I'm not sure if it will stay open for long. Never a lot of people and almost no chicas. Good luck...

NY Shark Bar: Lou's place was never ready. The worker seems very slow. Lou is not very happy right now and I hope it will be better for him. Nice location, nice size, this place have potential. I was there for a beer, talking with Lou during the ErikS BBQ.

Las Chicas: On DR Rosen, in front of Rocky's, a cool little bar with a chinese restaurant attached. The girls are funny but the place was always quiet. Better go with a couple of friends. Bachata only, good for me, I was even allowed to go on the computer put what I wanted.

Rocky's: Another long time classic. Good, cheap food (you must try the spaghetti, the lime-garlic chicken, the subs and the ribs). Relaxing place with only background music. Go chat with Ted, the legendary bartender. That guy got some good stories...

Hermann: Right beside Harrison's jewellery on the street corner. Good place to go late afternoon early night. The busiest corner in Sosua. Nice waitress also. For me, it's another classic. I've spent numerous hours there watching life go by. Always a couple of puta there, but non-aggresives one only.

Safari Lounge: Right beside Hermann, there is a door with a stairway. Very nice, newly done place overlooking Pedro Clisante street. Better go there with a girl, it's kind of a romantic place. I hope they will stay open.

Sosua Life: Another classic for me. Big round bar, couple of tables, big screen tv, pool tables. It was one of the first places I'd always hit. The staff is great (apart from the mentally deranged guy that promotes the place on the sidewalk). Go there early, the place seems to empty at a certain time. Lots of talent available in the back, going to the bathroom. One of my favorite place.

Hotel Central: Quiet place with not much girls in there. It was better last year when they allowed the girls to be there.

Merengue: THE place for me. Lot of girls hanging there and it's always fun to look who is going upstair. Same set-up as Sosua Life. Probably where I drinked the more and found a lot of my girls there. My favorite bar this year.

Classico: That's the disco upstair from Merengue. My favorite disco. It's more of a bar-disco place: no harrassing lightning, not too dark, not too loud. Good variety of music, very nice mix of people (chicas-tourists ratio). I very like that place. Found a lot of nice girls there.

Sosua Village Cafe: Been there only one time and didn't liked it.

Club X: Disco in front of Classico. Like SeaCrets, I don't like the lightning, the music, etc. Not for me, maybe if you like North American discos.

Pluto: Cool little bar in front of Antonio restaurant, before going to the beach. Good place to start the night with friendly waitress and good view on the street.

Voodoo Lounge: Don't like the place, I have that here at home.

So that's it. It's only my opinions and I'm sure I missed something. Waiting to hear what you have to say.

Apos
02-17-2006, 09:23 PM
excellent summary and i basically agree with your opinions.
no surprise i was always running into you :)

Phoenix
02-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Nice bar rundown ILN, I also had a few beers at Pluto. I like the girls working there and it always seems there are interesting characters stopping in. Merengue for sure is my favorite as I am sure you know since you saw me sitting there drinking most evenings.

Phoenix
02-17-2006, 09:31 PM
excellent summary and i basicall agree with your opinions.
no surprise i was always running into you :)

Thanx to you brother for introducing me to Dominos-FR. I like the mix of music there, mostly bachata and reggaeton. Plus the beer is ice cold.

Kevy
02-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Yeah, that's a good run down of teh clubs. It wasn't Juan at Allergra, It was Tristan. I don't think he is on this board. He was from Club Hombre or something like that.

Apos
02-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanx to you brother for introducing me to Dominos-FR. I like the mix of music there, mostly bachata and reggaeton. Plus the beer is ice cold.

the chicas are cool there too...domino's and four roses both!

Phoenix
02-17-2006, 09:37 PM
the chicas are cool there too...domino's and four roses both!

The reason I never checked it out was because I was always getting pawed by unattractive chicas during the day many times as I walked by.
Seems much different after dark

LM
02-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Great summary ilikenacional, I enjoyed meeting you and spending time having a few drinks at Hermann bar on the corner. Now that I have met you I can't help but read your report with a quebeciou accent.:)

ilikenyacional
02-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Ok Kevy, I was not sure about the fourth.

Man, you don't know how I miss Sosua right now. We just had a record amount of white shit. Maybe I will go to the strip club later. I met a Dominican lesbian there yesterday. The funny thing is I was teaching her spanish because she only speak french.

Apos
02-17-2006, 09:39 PM
what strip club you like?

might be worth a drive for me...in good weather!

LM
02-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah, that's a good run down of teh clubs. It wasn't Juan at Allergra, It was Tristan. I don't think he is on this board. He was from Club Hombre or something like that.

Yeah, Tristan was a good kid, just came from a tour in Iraq...and was doing some R&R...

ilikenyacional
02-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Thank you Learnigman. I try to do my best. Not always easy going between 3 differents langage, sometime my mind was fucked-up good ! (add some beer and rum...)

LM
02-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Thank you Learnigman. I try to do my best. Not always easy going between 3 differents langage, sometime my mind was fucked-up good ! (add some beer and rum...)

You are a great guy to hang with....hope to cross paths again;)

Kevy
02-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Actually just to add the club NV, which opened in Ocotber and closed 2 months later, could reopen. The stairs were very uneven and they redid them when I was there. Maybe that was teh problem.

gdogg
02-18-2006, 03:48 AM
I KNEW something was wrong with those stairs at NV!! I nearly fell a couple of times!!

Thanks for the summary, ilikenacional. Pretty accurate!

weyland
02-18-2006, 05:19 AM
Ilikenacional

Many thanks for taking the trouble to compile this and set it out so logically. It will be most helpful to me next month. I especially appreciated your references to music as avoiding getting deafened and seeking out bachata will be two of my criteria. I suggest this is made a sticky, but one slight area for improvement could be to enter approximate times instead of "early", "later", etc. What does "early" mean in Sosua, for example? 8 in the morning? 10 at night? I visited the bar under Classicos (did not notice if it was then called the Merengue) about 16.00 in December with a girl from Blackbeards and apart from the staff, a couple of gringos drinking off hangovers, and three or four ancient putas we were the only people in there.

Somewhere on this site I saw a super map of Sosua updated within the last two months. The poster had really gone to a lot of trouble but I cannot find it again. Could someone kindly point me to it?

ErikS
02-18-2006, 08:19 AM
.......Somewhere on this site I saw a super map of Sosua updated within the last two months. The poster had really gone to a lot of trouble but I cannot find it again. Could someone kindly point me to it?

Try this:
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5924

The map is printed in post # 9 in the thread linked above.

Apos
02-18-2006, 09:57 AM
I KNEW something was wrong with those stairs at NV!! I nearly fell a couple of times!!

Thanks for the summary, ilikenacional. Pretty accurate!

they've redone them more that once since the preopening construction...like 3 times. hope they have it right...finally:cool:

weyland
02-18-2006, 10:08 AM
That's a great map. Thanks gmalet and ErikS for bringing it to my attention. I will print it and take it with me.

But it is not the map I was thinking of, which was a revision of an earlier posting, and since I have only been a member here since Christmas must have been reposted since then. I remember it contained "straight" restaurants like LaRocca and Maura Mai (spelling?) at the beach end of the main drag, and it was definitely created, or at least extensively updated, by one of our leading posters, but who?

Apos
02-18-2006, 10:25 AM
was it this map?
http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/4893/sosuamap0rl.gif

Apos
02-18-2006, 10:28 AM
or this one?
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/nvr013/Sosua20Bar20Map4.jpg

Apos
02-18-2006, 10:29 AM
you can always search...use map* and a whole ton of possibilities appear:cool:

ilikenyacional
02-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Ilikenacional

Many thanks for taking the trouble to compile this and set it out so logically. It will be most helpful to me next month. I especially appreciated your references to music as avoiding getting deafened and seeking out bachata will be two of my criteria. I suggest this is made a sticky, but one slight area for improvement could be to enter approximate times instead of "early", "later", etc. What does "early" mean in Sosua, for example? 8 in the morning? 10 at night? I visited the bar under Classicos (did not notice if it was then called the Merengue) about 16.00 in December with a girl from Blackbeards and apart from the staff, a couple of gringos drinking off hangovers, and three or four ancient putas we were the only people in there.

Somewhere on this site I saw a super map of Sosua updated within the last two months. The poster had really gone to a lot of trouble but I cannot find it again. Could someone kindly point me to it?

Late afternoon: from 5-6pm to 8pm, good for Domino, Four Roses, Alegria, Hermann, Pluto

Early night: 9-10pm, good for Sosua Life, Merengue, Canoa

Disco time: 11pm-12am, it really start at 12am in Classico.

Hope it help, but best to see by yourself. A place like Merengue is good from 9pm until very late...

weyland
02-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Yes it was Apos' second map I saw before, but three maps are better than one. Guys, you have really spoiled me now: maps, timetables. Many thanks for your replies. All I need now is a list of virgins' mobile numbers. You can PM them to me.

I have no excuse now for not exploring Sosua thoroughly, and I hope to meet some of you there between March 20 and April 3. I am staying at Field of Dreams so that I can also visit any old friends still at Blackbeards (unless they have had another clearout) and also sample Frank's.

Apos
02-18-2006, 01:24 PM
usually virgins do not have cellphones...those cost $$$:D

psriches
02-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Ilikenacional

Somewhere on this site I saw a super map of Sosua updated within the last two months. The poster had really gone to a lot of trouble but I cannot find it again. Could someone kindly point me to it?This was an excellant, excellant report but i would suggest trying out all of the places mentioned because it's all hit or miss. The chicas, music, crowd, etc, all change on a daily basis!!

ilikenyacional
02-19-2006, 06:16 PM
This was an excellant, excellant report but i would suggest trying out all of the places mentioned because it's all hit or miss. The chicas, music, crowd, etc, all change on a daily basis!!

You're right. You need only one chica you like and all the places can be great.

That's the good thing about Sosua, everything is close and there is no reason not going everywhere daily. Going to check all the places I listed only take 30 minutes.

vagabond
02-24-2006, 08:12 AM
ilikenacional
Very good clubguide. However I will say that the times you quote is a bit early. Nothing usually happens at Sosua Life before 10 PM, and the discos is deserted before midnight.

Bug Boy
02-24-2006, 11:57 AM
ilikenacional do you have a review of passion's? I visited a few times and I wasn't impressed with the quality, although the setup and hosts are nice.

Bug Boy
02-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh and I forgot to ask about Flamingos (opposite Dominos)? Any review of the takeout from there?

ilikenyacional
02-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Oh and I forgot to ask about Flamingos (opposite Dominos)? Any review of the takeout from there?

I've been to Passion 2 times in my life, sorry not for me.

Flamingo is closed, Cowgirl also. I miss them, I've had good times there in the past.

ilikenyacional
02-24-2006, 04:36 PM
ilikenacional
Very good clubguide. However I will say that the times you quote is a bit early. Nothing usually happens at Sosua Life before 10 PM, and the discos is deserted before midnight.

Yes, that's what I've said. The quoted hour are the sooner to go.

A typical night for me would be :

7pm-Dinner and a couple of beers at Rocky's
8:30pm-Drinking at Domino, Hermann, Pluto depending how I feel
10pm-Drinking at SosuaLife and Merengue
12pm-Disco time: Classico
3-4am-Eating at the stand in front of Classico
4-5am-Sleeping (Yeah, right!)

What about you ?

Seņor Jimmy of Medellin
02-24-2006, 04:56 PM

What about you ?

Call frank, have him send someone over by 8PM, bamg her and in bed by 8:04PM.

ilikenyacional
02-24-2006, 05:01 PM

Hmmm, sorry Jimmy, It's not really my idea of a good night...
But, there is nothing wrong with that.

Seņor Jimmy of Medellin
02-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Hmmm, sorry Jimmy, It's not really my idea of a good night...
But, there is nothing wrong with that.

Or go to Franks with Maimus and return with 3 hookers and have a massive photo shoot.

JuanElGriego
02-24-2006, 08:44 PM

What about you ?

No wonder we hung out so much, we have the same routines!! Well, except for the 8:30-10 slot, that's my nap time. Gotta get that beauty sleep in if i'm gonna be out 'til 5 a.m. every night.

Kevy
02-24-2006, 09:47 PM

Yeah right, A chica showing up on time. :whip:

ilikenyacional
02-24-2006, 09:50 PM
No wonder we hung out so much, we have the same routines!! Well, except for the 8:30-10 slot, that's my nap time. Gotta get that beauty sleep in if i'm gonna be out 'til 5 a.m. every night.

Yeah, and dancing with 3 girls at the same time !

JuanElGriego
02-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah, and dancing with 3 girls at the same time !

Si!!! Me gusto bailar a reggaeton, i admit.

So Nacional, you have any plans for a return trip anytime soon????

ilikenyacional
02-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Normally, it will be at the same time next year but, who know ?

ilikenyacional
02-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Normally, it will be at the same time next year but, who know ?

And you ?

gdogg
02-25-2006, 01:37 AM

That's about the time I nap as well. To hell with those dudes who talk about "I"ll sleep when I'm dead"! A good nap is a necessity in the DR!

JuanElGriego
02-25-2006, 10:34 PM
That's about the time I nap as well. To hell with those dudes who talk about "I"ll sleep when I'm dead"! A good nap is a necessity in the DR!

No doubt.

I like to head out in the evening feeling brand new and that nap is just the trick.

There was only 1 night my past trip i didn't get it in. I was banging Carmen (big butt chick i posted pics of) during my nap time that day and after she left i only had time to shower and head out. Outside the Europa i saw Apos+another NYC guy and they askme how Carmen was. She was great but i was exhausted but had to suck it up and head out. After a few drinks and some rubbing up against a few chicas i'd forgotten i was tired. ;)

Apos
02-26-2006, 06:49 AM
No doubt.

I like to head out in the evening feeling brand new and that nap is just the trick.

There was only 1 night my past trip i didn't get it in. I was banging Carmen (big butt chick i posted pics of) during my nap time that day and after she left i only had time to shower and head out. Outside the Europa i saw Apos+another NYC guy and they askme how Carmen was. She was great but i was exhausted but had to suck it up and head out. After a few drinks and some rubbing up against a few chicas i'd forgotten i was tired. ;)
the DR will motivate ya like that but don't miss that nap too often or it catches up with ya...big time!

Tonto4
02-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Or go to Franks with Maimus and return with 3 hookers and have a massive photo shoot.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

gdogg
02-26-2006, 10:13 AM
The DR will motivate you. There have been times I've been leaving the Palace for the walk to the club (without the nap), and I'm like "Why am I doing this, I need to be in the bed!". An hour later when I'm deciding on the chica for the night, I'm full of energy, and glad I bypassed the nap! On some occasions my nap turns into an all night slumber. Who knows what I have missed in the past!

Apos
02-26-2006, 10:15 AM
The DR will motivate you. There have been times I've been leaving the Palace for the walk to the club (without the nap), and I'm like "Why am I doing this, I need to be in the bed!". An hour later when I'm deciding on the chica for the night, I'm full of energy, and glad I bypassed the nap! On some occasions my nap turns into an all night slumber. Who knows what I have missed in the past!

i bring an alarmclock for this! my cell phone has one too...very useful!

NAPS ARE GOOD!:D

gdogg
02-26-2006, 10:44 AM
I usually have TWO cell phones working as alarm clocks! Sometimes the naps get TOO good!

Apos
02-26-2006, 10:49 AM
I usually have TWO cell phones working as alarm clocks! Sometimes the naps get TOO good!

my NA cell doesn't have an alarm...go figure..expensive phone too.

my DR phone does!

i'm getting a second DR phone...hope it has an alarm!

Phoenix
02-26-2006, 10:52 AM

I bought a cheap, small alarm clock that is battery powered at Wal-Mart for 3 bucks. It is loud as hell and makes a nice gift for a chica at the end of a trip.

gdogg
02-26-2006, 10:55 AM
All of my cells have alarms. One of the chicas I was with asked me why I had so many phones? I couldn't think of an answer. I eventually told her that one was my phone from home, the other was my local, and my other was for alarms. I guess I told the truth, even though all three of them were used for alarms at one time or another. Wait!! I had four phones with me...no wonder she thought I was weird!

Apos
02-26-2006, 10:56 AM
4 phones???WTF for?:rolleyes:

gdogg
02-26-2006, 10:56 AM
I bought a cheap, small alarm clock that is battery powered at Wal-Mart for 3 bucks. It is loud as hell and makes a nice gift for a chica at the end of a trip.

You know, that's an even better idea. If I lost one of my phones (even the oldest) it would be a disaster for me. They each hold important (though ancient) phone numbers. If I bring a cheap clock, my alarm problem would be solved...thanks Phoenix!!

Apos
02-26-2006, 10:58 AM
i make a point of writing down the numbers...just in case.

Apos
02-26-2006, 10:58 AM

walmart ROCKS!:)

gdogg
02-26-2006, 11:01 AM
4 phones???WTF for?:rolleyes:

This last trip I had four phones. One was my current (brand new, one week old) phone from the states (for airport/stateside calls), one was my most recent stateside phone (it's more current than the phone I always bring), the third was the phone I've always gotten activated at Mavs.

Well it turns out that my most recent phone couldn't get activated for some reason. I didn't want to use the phone I always use in the DR, because now it can't get caller ID (it's analog only), but it contained all of my DR chica/friend numbers. So I had to end up getting a phone from Mav's. There you have it....four phones (certainly a DR record!!).

Phoenix
02-26-2006, 11:04 AM
walmart ROCKS!:)

It's my one stop monger supply store. That is where I get the stuff for my communal medicine kit, condoms at half the price of other stores here, cheap stuff for chicas, cheap watches and clocks, monger pants and shorts, the Captain Morgan tee I got for Jayman, everything!

Apos
02-26-2006, 11:08 AM
It's my one stop monger supply store. That is where I get the stuff for my communal medicine kit, condoms at half the price of other stores here, cheap stuff for chicas, cheap watches and clocks, monger pants and shorts, the Captain Morgan tee I got for Jayman, everything!

thanks again for the bandaids and aspirin!!! ironically i had both tucked away in my carryon...didn't find them till MUCH later:o

ilikenyacional
02-26-2006, 01:16 PM
After a night of drinking and partying, you and your girl will be hungry. Try theses stand, they are open very late, like 5-6am.:

The stand in front of classico is still there. Fried pork with platano, very tasty and for 100 pesos it feed you and your girl. The guy also have bottled water for 20 pesos and Presidente. Don't forget ketchup for your platano !

The other stand I've been is on Calle Dr.Rosen (Rocky's street) on the other side, in front of Harrison going to the Texaco station. I've had hot-dog and hamburger there. I was surprised by the hamburger, one of the best I've had anywhere in DR. Less than 100 pesos.

Try it, never been sick with that and a well feeded chica is a better chica !

Kevy
02-26-2006, 04:08 PM
After a night of drinking and partying, you and your girl will be hungry. Try theses stand, they are open very late, like 5-6am.:

The stand in front of classico is still there. Fried pork with platano, very tasty and for 100 pesos it feed you and your girl. The guy also have bottled water for 20 pesos and Presidente. Don't forget ketchup for your platano !

The other stand I've been is on Calle Dr.Rosen (Rocky's street) on the other side, in front of Harrison going to the Texaco station. I've had hot-dog and hamburger there. I was surprised by the hamburger, one of the best I've had anywhere in DR. Less than 100 pesos.

Try it, never been sick with that and a well feeded chica is a better chica !

Keep in mind Ilikenacional eats that Conch stuff the guy sells on the beach. I find that scarry.:eek:

Maximus
02-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Keep in mind Ilikenacional eats that Conch stuff the guy sells on the beach. I find that scarry.:eek:

Not sure where he gets it, but the conch(lambi) at El Chiringuito(sp?) is excellent.

I don't go near those guys that walk up and down with the shrimp and oysters, though.

Kevy
02-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Not sure where he gets it, but the conch(lambi) at El Chiringuito(sp?) is excellent.

I don't go near those guys that walk up and down with the shrimp and oysters, though.

He is walking around all day with that stuff in a tupperware bowl.

ilikenyacional
02-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Good one, Kevy ! The stuff is Lambi.

The guys at Siempre Sol where all looking at me like "He is crazy".
But, Continental Mike had some also...

Phoenix
02-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Good one, Kevy ! The stuff is Lambi.

The guys at Siempre Sol where all looking at me like "He is crazy".
But, Continental Mike had some also...

You are crazy for eating that! :o

gdogg
02-27-2006, 09:09 AM
He's braver than I am, and I tend to eat ANYTHING!!

vagabond
02-27-2006, 10:01 AM
I buy lambi from this guy about 1 or to days a week in average. It's very good, and I never got sick. Remember ho have salsa picante and lemon crushed over it.

continentalmike
02-27-2006, 10:51 AM
You are crazy for eating that! :o

The stuff is actually very nice and healthy.. it is supposed to give you an additional bump and is also very tasty!

Stay away from the shrimps though..

ILN and myself have very simialr eating habits it seems, I also eat a lot of stall food and never have gotten any negative effects from it. Nothing better than some freshly grilled chicken, with onions and guineas, naked in bed with your gf, overlooking the lagune in cabarete..

RickRock
03-20-2006, 01:23 AM
walmart ROCKS!

Unless you work there or in one of the sweatshops that supplies it.