PDA

View Full Version : buying a car

yayow
11-30-2007, 04:32 PM
I retired from NY and moved down here in Sept.(Sosua) w/ my pension. I used to rent a car but that is really expensive and eats my pension. So I now take public transportation which isn't so bad and rent when I want to go somewhere far away. I have looked around to buying a car but all the dealers say the taxes are almost 100 percent for the cars coming from the US. Someone mentioned to me fly to Puerto Rico buy a car there and take the ferry back to D.R. with the car and obviously don't return to Puerto Rico, is this viable, if I get caught what complications am I looking at? Thanks for any input.

Yay

weyland
11-30-2007, 04:40 PM
There are two or three members here who might be able to help you, but for a much wider selection of responses you should search on DR1:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/index.php
Search first before starting a new thread there. I have seen a few threads there on the relative benefits of buying and importing cars.

In fact, as you are now living in the DR, I am surprised you are asking the question here instead of there. I too will be retiring to the DR on a pension early next year and I look forward to meeting you sometime, maybe in Lou's or Rocky's.

Beads
11-30-2007, 06:23 PM
thats an interesting idea bringing it on the ferry. explaining where it came from when you go to register it could be interesting though.

weyland
11-30-2007, 06:57 PM
thats an interesting idea bringing it on the ferry. explaining where it came from when you go to register it could be interesting though.
I remember that was one of the options discussed on DR1. I didn't pay much attention because I won't be driving in the DR, except maybe rentals if I feel really reckless.

Beads
11-30-2007, 06:59 PM
I remember that was one of the options discussed on DR1. I didn't pay much attention because I won't be driving in the DR, except maybe rentals if I feel really reckless.

Please let any of us in country know 24 hrs before you plan on driving so we can all stay inside that day. :rofl:

D_Burns
12-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Yay,
Don't do the Puerto Rico thing, you will eventually get caught in the DR and will have to pay import tax's etc..
New car prices are about 30%+ than the US for mid-spec. There is a lot of used DR / used USA in Santiago & Moca. If you are buying a DR car, get a good mechanic. If buying a US used car, get a VIN report. A lot of these cars are accident / flood / insurance write-off's.
If you have owned a car in the US for at least a year, you can bring it in to the country with a limited tax liability under the residency scheme.

guttaman
12-05-2007, 12:55 PM
115,000 pesos for a 1998 Toyota Corolla in Santiago last month. Italian step-daddy bought it for a fine young college student. She got what she paid for. I believe it was an old airport taxi so it should be falling apart by now.

agua chico
12-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Can't you get a good used car locally? Surely you should be able to do that instead of dealing with the headache of importing one.

ChicaSeeka
12-05-2007, 06:36 PM
115,000 pesos for a 1998 Toyota Corolla in Santiago last month. Italian step-daddy bought it for a fine young college student. She got what she paid for. I believe it was an old airport taxi so it should be falling apart by now.

thats only about $ 3,300.00 us , buy a car here for that and it is a peice of crap too

ajax718
12-05-2007, 06:52 PM
A friend of mine told me when he retires to DR next year, he can bring all his personal things down there including a new car, without paying taxes. As long as you declare residency in DR and show proof of a pension of atleast $1500 a month, then you are good to go

Drjetman
12-05-2007, 07:40 PM
My buddy in Santo Domingo drives a shit box. That way he never has to worry about anyone stealing it or other damage caused by crazy DR drivers. He does'nt stress about it at all. That's a good thing.

bpl0116
12-08-2007, 10:50 PM
I HAVE A CONTACT IN SANTIAGO THAT IS RELIABLE.....pM ME.

MisterPink
12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks for any input.
Yay

Nice meeting you @ Lou's!
(we had a convo about Brasil)
Talk to Marco about Espilliat Motor's in Moca.

mp

Cheeno
12-09-2007, 08:07 AM
My buddy in Santo Domingo drives a shit box. That way he never has to worry about anyone stealing it or other damage caused by crazy DR drivers. He does'nt stress about it at all. That's a good thing.

I know who you are referring to!!! lol :mrgreen: