PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet in your room!

Jimmydr
07-25-2004, 05:13 PM
What do you think?

Don Tomas
07-25-2004, 05:15 PM
I work with computers, the last thing I want to do it touch a computer while on vacation, except to play music, a dvd, or download pics off the camera.

Jimmydr
07-25-2004, 05:48 PM
I myself am in DR 70 days a year so its not really a vacation anymore.

Andy
07-27-2004, 01:10 AM
What do you think?

Wireless internet from Verizon, Centennial or Orange costs about 1700 peso per month with unlimited access time and traffic. I had used this last time. All you need is notebook and connecting wire between compter and phone...

jd_mine
07-28-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm way more interest in a stereo system in the room.
I always miss having music in the room while I'm with the chicas.
I'll do my internetting in the internet shops!

Don Tomas
07-28-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm way more interest in a stereo system in the room.
I always miss having music in the room while I'm with the chicas.
I'll do my internetting in the internet shops!

I second the stereo idea! I bring my laptop but those speakers suck.

Don Tomas
07-28-2004, 04:40 PM
What do you think?

Wireless internet from Verizon, Centennial or Orange costs about 1700 peso per month with unlimited access time and traffic. I had used this last time. All you need is notebook and connecting wire between compter and phone...

Andy, I realize English is not your first language but your statement is contradictory...

You start by saying "Wireless Internet" and then finish by saying "...connecting wire between computer and phone.." (which isn't wireLESS) So is just ISP (Internet Service Provider) services that you are paying 1700/month or does Verizon, Centennial, or Orange have true Wireless access points in the DR?

I would go read their web sites but I don't understand Spanish and translators don't work with web pages generated with java or activex which I think the Verizon one is.

Don Tomas
07-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Nevermind stupid me answered my own question. So I guess it's 1700/month for ISP services only...

For those of you wondering, the only company offering wireless hot-spots is Verizon and its coverage is extremly limited. It is only offered in Santo Domingo in the following places:
+PUCMM.
+INTEC.
+Plaza Acrópolis.
+Selebén Bowling Center

However, you need to be an existing customer of Verizon's DSL service to be able to use the hotspots (for free)

The next question is if the PCS services will handle data, but then you need a special PCS card for your PC.

BigTrick
08-25-2004, 01:02 PM
I like the idea of having a wireless connection in my room. I have my laptop on every trip. I have been searching for a wireless signal in Sousa but can't find one. I wouldn't pay more than $5 a day for the conveince. Any more than that I will walk to the Cafe with my laptop.

Oh yea.....definately need the stereo

Andy
09-02-2004, 12:26 PM
What do you think?

Andy, I realize English is not your first language but your statement is contradictory...

You start by saying "Wireless Internet" and then finish by saying "...connecting wire between computer and phone.." (which isn't wireLESS) So is just ISP (Internet Service Provider) services that you are paying 1700/month or does Verizon, Centennial, or Orange have true Wireless access points in the DR?

I would go read their web sites but I don't understand Spanish and translators don't work with web pages generated with java or activex which I think the Verizon one is.

Ok. I'll try to explain.

First look to this picture
http://www.3gnews.ru/mobiles/images/GTRAN_DotSurfer.jpg

You must have the modem like on the picture then you should ask Centennoial or Verizon to activate it to use in their networks. This is PCMCIA card for notebook and you will have really WIRELESS internet wherever you like. But! The modem like this costs about 200$ and you can use your Verizon/Centennial mobile phone instead (some models only, not every!!!). For this option you may need special wire to connect your MOBILE PHONE and COMPUTER. No any wires more. You keep mobile (and wireless between your mobile phone and ISP).

Also the same option is available by Orange (GPRS). And I think that I will use it next time. I have bluetooth interface in my phone and computer now and I even dont need the wire to connect them.
http://www.orange.com.do/servicios/plus/net/index.jsp

Andy
09-02-2004, 12:31 PM
What do you think?
All you need is notebook and connecting wire between compter and phone...

You start by saying "Wireless Internet" and then finish by saying "...connecting wire between computer and phone.." (which isn't wireLESS)

He!
I miss one word! While saying "phone" I mean "mobile phone", which is wireless. But actually I use the PCCARD modem which is very small and very useful.