PDA

View Full Version : Local Customs

Reel Deal
08-01-2004, 04:45 PM
I'll be in POP/Sosua in a couple of weeks with a buddy, and want some advice on dress codes.

I've got some meetings set up with realtors and lawyers. What is appropriate business attire? I sure as hell don't want to wear a suit, but don't think my cut-offs and wife beater is appripriate. I want to be taken seriously, and you know about first impressions.

What is appropriate attire in the nicer discos? We don't want to look like a couple of rubes from Wisconsin or Frankfurt.

I can figure out the rest...which may include the beer goggles...

BrooklynBeas
08-03-2004, 08:11 AM
Although few people do wear suits from what i have seen... most dress attire is just the slacks and button down... golf shirts are worn but the dress shirt would be a lil more professional... does it really matter though ... you have money

Jimmydr
08-03-2004, 08:15 AM
does it really matter though ... you have money

I know here in NYC when I am buying condo s I wear Blue Jeans.

Don Tomas
08-03-2004, 10:04 AM
I know here in NYC when I am buying condo s I wear Blue Jeans.

codo s? :?:

BrooklynBeas
08-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Don is starting to get on my nerves today ... is he that bored that he has to be a spell checker and grammar correcterer today hehe... take a trip you bum

Don Tomas
08-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Don is starting to get on my nerves today ... is he that bored that he has to be a spell checker and grammar correcterer today hehe... take a trip you bum

Anything to make your day brighter...

Again didn't know if it was some NYC term.

RickRock
08-08-2004, 04:26 PM
dress pants, button down shirt with long sleeves, dress shoes are typical of us respectable latin american men :) - even when not dealing with business. It's more for the culture and impression than for anything else, if you show up in cut offs and a wife beater your money will still be expected and you will probably be shown about the same amount of respect, but they wont think the same of you (assuming you're doing business with Latinos)

nomad
08-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Wear slacks or khakis. Leather shoes. Button down shirt. It is a sign of respect for the people you are doing business with. Otherwise you are just another ugly american who thinks his money is all that matters. Respect and courtesy are very important when doing business.

Or say fuck it. And show up like Beas. Shorts, t-shirt (saying "Give me head till I am dead!") flip flops and presidente in one hand and another stuck in his back pocket.

Nomad.

RickRock
08-13-2004, 11:47 PM
and presidente in one hand and another stuck in his back pocket.

:lol: :lol:

Babyboy31
08-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I did get a shakedown from the customs in Puerto Plata. They thought I was a returning Dominican initially. As soon as they found out I wasn't, came their handout. Propina? $RD50 pesos was the price of them not rumaging through my things.

At that time i couldn't care less since I was on vacation.

Jimmydr
08-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Keep giving them "propinas"! They will keep expecting it.
I just tell every one of my friends tell them NO.
What are you bringing in to POP that you are hiding?
They are way too lazy to want to look.
BTW: They do not care if you are BLACK, WHITE or PURPLE!
They ask everyone.
If you stop giving the dog food scraps under the table he will stop begging.

Shake their hand and laugh like they just said a funny joke and put your bags up and they will wave you along.

Jimmydr
08-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Jimmy:

Is that a "local custom" ?

Now it is. :D

RickRock
08-14-2004, 12:54 PM
It benefits you if you have electronics or other similiar things that you are bringing it..

RickRock
08-14-2004, 01:17 PM
You misunderstood. Items for personal use obviously don't count. But if you were to bring such things as cell phones, over 20, it's easier to through 100 pesos in the direction of the guys than to go through the hassle.