PDA

View Full Version : restrictions on bringing in pesos?

weyland
03-14-2006, 04:59 AM
I have been looking at the best strategy for changing pounds sterling (UK funny money) into pesos, and have found that Marks and Spencers offer by far the best rate (many thanks rley69 for reminding me of this!). [Incidentally they also gave me the best travel insurance deal. I don't hold any M&S shares, honest!].

M&S will sell me as many pesos as I wish but the telephone clerk warned me that the DR has placed a 25000 peso restriction on how many pesos can be brought into the country (from any other country of origin, including the US).

This sounds like a lot of bollocks to me. I brought far more in last time. Anyone hear of anything like this?

whynotme
03-14-2006, 06:54 AM
I have been looking at the best strategy for changing pounds sterling (UK funny money) into pesos, and have found that Marks and Spencers offer by far the best rate (many thanks rley69 for reminding me of this!). [Incidentally they also gave me the best travel insurance deal. I don't hold any M&S shares, honest!].

M&S will sell me as many pesos as I wish but the telephone clerk warned me that the DR has placed a 25000 peso restriction on how many pesos can be brought into the country (from any other country of origin, including the US).

This sounds like a lot of bollocks to me. I brought far more in last time. Anyone hear of anything like this?
i have never been asked at customs in DR
leaving canada however you can only take out $10,000 cnd in cash.
you can use all the plastic you want though.
do you get that better a deal before arriving?
i always take usd in cash and change it as i need it it into pesos

BrooklynBeas
03-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Who the hell is gonna know how much money you have in your pockets? I never take out my money when going through customs or the metal detector... Leave it in your pocket and bring some extra for Beas! :)

JD
03-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Weyland,

I know that on some form(s) it asks if you are bringing in more than
10 K. Beas makes a good point.
As far as the 25000 peso limit, I have never heard of it before.

I would wonder if it makes sense to exhange pounds to dollars or Euros
in the UK and then exhange into pesos upon arrival. Unless the rate is stupendous I would not exchange money for pesos in my home country.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out,

JD