PDA

View Full Version : Bad News

vagabond
08-06-2004, 05:09 AM
This could be the start of the end of Sosua as ab beach and monger town:

From www.drsol.info:

It's Official. SosĂșa Beach R.I.P.
SosĂșa, Friday, August 6, 2004 - A report in the online edition of Diario Libre this morning explains that the lands of the SosĂșa city park, and the entrance to and a part of SosĂșa Beach were sold to a hotel company for the construction of a convention center, revealed the municipal authorities just yesterday even though the supposed sale was reported to have been effective in February. The lands, identified as parcel number 1 of Cadastral District 2, of the municipality of SosĂșa, were sold by the company Coralillo, S.A. to the Hotel SosĂșa Oceanfront, according to the municipal sĂ*ndico, Celso de la Cruz. The amount of the sale was not revealed. The municipal executive said that the lands where the park was located were designated for public use, but claimed that the government never paid the orignal owner, Thomas Phillips, (now deceased), whose relatives and partners created the company Coralillo S.A.. De la Cruz explained that those lands, included the entrance to SosĂșa beach, where will tens of casetas will be removed. The construction of the convention center was approved by the "Sala Capitular" of the City council of SosĂșa by means of resolution 8-2003, emitted the 17 of February of year 2003. The resolution also ratified the creation of the Patronage Park, by the SĂ*ndico, the president of the City council the Rotary Club, and the Catholic and Evangelical Churches, among other organizations according to the Diario Libre report. Mrs. Sonya Uribe, lawyer for Starz Resort, an operator of hotels who is constructing the convention center, said that the land court of Puerto Plata annulled the decree that declared the park and beach lands for public use due to breach of payment from the government. The lands were declared of public property during the government of Salvador Jorge Blanco (1982-86), but the government apparently never paid for the purchase. Not explained in the Diario Libre report is how the SosĂșa City council could sell and receive money for a property to which the Land Court found SosĂșa did not have title.
(Filed 03:39 8-06-2004 - Source: Diario Libre) Return to Top

Jimmydr
08-06-2004, 08:41 AM
This might be a good thing. Maybe the convention center will turn out to be beautiful there. Now with many 1,000's passing thru some of us can open a business that might make some money. One day in the next 5 years I would love to open up a small restaurant or grocery store and make enough money to eat shrimp twice a day.

vagabond
08-06-2004, 09:07 AM
re Jimmy
If the acess from El Batey to the beach will be closed down for others than AI's, then Sosua is gone, like we know it. The smaller independent hotels restaurants and bars will have to close down.

Reel Deal
08-06-2004, 09:15 AM
It said "a part of the beach". Maybe not all? I will be interested to see what the reaction of the local hotel owners will be.

Jimmydr
08-06-2004, 09:24 AM
re Jimmy
If the acess from El Batey to the beach will be closed down for others than AI's, then Sosua is gone, like we know it. The smaller independent hotels restaurants and bars will have to close down.

The beach itself is public and everyone will always have access to it.

vagabond
08-06-2004, 09:55 AM
re Jimmy
I hope the beach will remain public, but if they close the public entrance, it will not help if you have the right to be on the beach.

Don Tomas
08-06-2004, 10:05 AM
re Jimmy
I hope the beach will remain public, but if they close the public entrance, it will not help if you have the right to be on the beach.

There are three enterances to Sosua beach...

Jimmydr
08-06-2004, 10:21 AM
re Jimmy

Dominicans from all over only have their Sundays at the beach, take that away and there will be problems.

Andy
08-06-2004, 10:21 AM
re Jimmy

There are three enterances to Sosua beach...

But everibody of us like to use first one. Or, Don Thomas, you like go to the beach from Sosua throw Charamicos?

RickRock
08-08-2004, 08:14 PM
I only enter through los charamicos 8)