PDA

View Full Version : Here's a law I can live with!

Don Tomas
03-24-2006, 01:39 AM
Colombian men over age 14 required to carry condoms
Bogota.– A proposal by an official in Tulua, Colombia, would require men and boys over age 14 to carry condoms or face a $180 fine or attend a three-hour HIV/AIDS prevention course, London's Guardian reports.

Tulua, which has a population of 190,000, registered 14 deaths last year related to sexually transmitted diseases. According to statistics published in a local newspaper, the number of deaths from STDs increased by 50% from 2003 to 2005.

William Pena, the town council member who submitted the proposal, said, "This measure would not oblige anyone to have sex, only to protect themselves," adding, "If you're always carrying a condom, it is much easier to use it, that's why I made my proposal."

Local Catholic Church officials oppose the proposal. The Rev. Jesus Velasquez said the requirement would promote sex, adding, "I would have to have a condom even though I'm a member of the clergy."

Several other initiatives promoting condom use recently have taken effect in Colombia, including a campaign last year to distribute two million condoms in Bogota, the country's capital, and a plan to install condom dispensers next month in bars and movie theaters in Tunja, Colombia.

vak
03-24-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm already compliant.