PDA

View Full Version : Airline Alliances and Frequent Flyer (FF) Programs

Galvin
01-09-2008, 08:59 PM
I love flying on the company's dime. First/Business class...drinks, better food, good amount of room, you get the point. When it's coming out of my own pocket though, that's another story.

We all know the benefits of FF programs but who partners with who and how do you build points? To answer the first question, you should know your airline alliances. There are 3 major alliances: Star Alliance, SkyTeam, and Oneworld. Wiki, do your thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_alliance

I am based in NY and I believe the best network for someone in the nyc and northern nj area is SkyTeam. For travel in the states it includes continental, delta, and northwest. The way the alliance works is if you have signed up for any one company's FF program the others will honor it and you will also be able to earn miles flying their partner airlines. This helps you accumulate elite status without restricting yourself to one airline. You can also earn miles with their hotel partners/etc that are given on each respective alliance webpage (pretty much all the same). Other threads have touched on cc's and miles so I will not repeat.

As for others, it depends on your locale which alliance you should focus your efforts on.

Feel free to add on as this was in no way authoritative but I do hope this help'd. :D