PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car Company that won't screw me...

JoeDR
01-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm renting a car in Santo Domingo to drive to Sosua/Puerto Plata for 4 days, then back. Any recommendations on a rental company that won't screw me over? Either with the authorized hold amount or try to claim damages that aren't there? Thanks!

Rodeo

Cuba Libre
01-12-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm renting a car in Santo Domingo to drive to Sosua/Puerto Plata for 4 days, then back. Any recommendations on a rental company that won't screw me over? Either with the authorized hold amount or try to claim damages that aren't there? Thanks!

RodeoThey all seem to put a large hold on your credit card.

If you want a company with reliable cars, that won't try to claim damages, and has offices throughout the DR then stick with the major companies; National, Hertz, Avis, etc.

Don Tomas
01-12-2008, 04:22 PM
...then stick with the major companies; National, Hertz, Avis, etc.

The "major" companies are just franchises and the parent company will not get involved with any disputes. They are sometimes worse then single companies, you can read plenty of horror stories on DR1 of people who thought the "fill-in-the-blank" company was behind them.

I recommend Adventure Rental Car (http://www.adventurerentcar.com/) and several other long term guys on here will too.

Corrado
01-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I recommend Adventure Rental Car (http://www.adventurerentcar.com/) and several other long term guys on here will too.

Yeah, what he said :bigthumbup:

MrHappy
01-15-2008, 06:14 AM
I have rented from National on a few occasions..

Call and get a price, then tell them you live here, and want the resident's discount, and once you get that discount, tell them you want the DR1 discount. That will drop the price further.

Most rental car companies will ask you to put a deposit with your CC.

guttaman
01-15-2008, 09:29 AM
The "major" companies are just franchises and the parent company will not get involved with any disputes. They are sometimes worse then single companies, you can read plenty of horror stories on DR1 of people who thought the "fill-in-the-blank" company was behind them.

Gypsie at Adventure gets my thumbs up. Rent in SD and if you have a problem in Sosua just call Jason at POP airport. I usually email and ask for a cash deal. You will have to leave a deposit of 10,000 pesos on your credit card and when you return you pay in cash and they tear up the slip. Never had a problem with them. Also, make sure you take all rental agreements from the car when you turn it in. Once i looked in the glove box and found a rental agreement from the last renter with a credit card imprint on it.

MrHappy
01-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Gypsie at Adventure gets my thumbs up. Rent in SD and if you have a problem in Sosua just call Jason at POP airport. I usually email and ask for a cash deal. You will have to leave a deposit of 10,000 pesos on your credit card and when you return you pay in cash and they tear up the slip. Never had a problem with them. Also, make sure you take all rental agreements from the car when you turn it in. Once i looked in the glove box and found a rental agreement from the last renter with a credit card imprint on it.

I find it incredible that people are so careless like that, and more so in a foreign country.

The brand spanking new 2008 Nissan Altima from National I rented also had the previous rentors old contract as well, with the credit card number clearly visible, something that the person who receives the car back should have removed.

BorisDaBulletDodger
02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
This was my first time in DR so I might not know too much. I rented a car through Thrifty at the SDQ airport. I believe it was only $26US a day. With insurance, it came out too $165 for 4 days. They asked for a $500 deposit on the card. When I first recieved the car, I checked the car thoroughly and identified several scratches and dents on the car. WHen I came back, The amigo checked the car briefly and told me to come into the office. I normally do not get insurance on rental cars, but I highly recommend getting if not the best insurance, close to it, because there was at least 5-6 times where we almost got into an accident