PDA

View Full Version : PEDRO'S McMURPHY'S

Gutter Meat
01-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Stop by the yesterday during halftime ( Shark bar had no food). It was a full house. Met the owners who are very friendly and they seem like they wanna run the place the right way. They run a happy hour special every day from 2to 7pm, 2 presidentes for 100 pesos. I had the chicken fingers which were good. They have a full menu and the prices seem reasonably priced.

Apos
01-14-2008, 05:15 PM
good to hear!

i hope they succeed :iconTU:

guttaman
01-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Stop by the yesterday during halftime ( Shark bar had no food). It was a full house. Met the owners who are very friendly and they seem like they wanna run the place the right way. They run a happy hour special every day from 2to 7pm, 2 presidentes for 100 pesos. I had the chicken fingers which were good. They have a full menu and the prices seem reasonably priced.

Mike, how was the interior there. From the street it looks small with limited view of the street. And do they have a long bar there. I hate sitting at tables. Also, one more. Does the happy hour include any other alcoholic beverages like different beers and mixxed drinks. Thanks

Gutter Meat
01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Its got a long bar on the right side with 4 or 5 tv's above the bar. The left side has stool tables. I'm in secrets right now, when I stop by there I'll let you know about the other happy hour specials.

Gutter Meat
01-14-2008, 05:27 PM
And the owners hired 3 or 4 nice looking chicas .

MisterPink
01-14-2008, 05:29 PM
GM:

How much are Stoli/Absolut @ this place?

mp

MisterPink
01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Its got a long bar on the right side with 4 or 5 tv's above the bar.

I am sure SJG will feel right @ home!

Apos
01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
i don't want to hijack your thread but please have a look here :D
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?p=407186#post407186

Its got a long bar on the right side with 4 or 5 tv's above the bar. The left side has stool tables. I'm in secrets right now, when I stop by there I'll let you know about the other happy hour specials.

Gutter Meat
01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Mike, how was the interior there. From the street it looks small with limited view of the street. And do they have a long bar there. I hate sitting at tables. Also, one more. Does the happy hour include any other alcoholic beverages like different beers and mixxed drinks. Thanks

Tony is also doing half price on certain mixed drinks as well from 2x7pm. Regular price for presidente's 80 pesos, 40 during happy hour.

Jimbo44
01-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Wow, and this place is smack in the middle of Rockys and Shark bar. Should be interesting.......

Beads
01-15-2008, 02:43 PM
yep should provide a little competition. the happy hour specials should bring some people in for sure.

Hemp
01-15-2008, 02:43 PM
If the owners tear page from Lous Book and make it sports oriented with good food to boot, should stand atleast half a chance!

maybe?

Wow, and this place is smack in the middle of Rockys and Shark bar. Should be interesting.......

Jimbo44
01-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Lets see if they tag on the 16% bullshit tax and the 10% propina to the checks....

Gutter Meat
01-15-2008, 02:55 PM
They will be getting satilite tv this week. I'm headed over there now for lunch and 50 peso Presidente's!!!

Gutter Meat
01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Lets see if they tag on the 16% bullshit tax and the 10% propina to the checks....

I will let you know about the tax , if it gets added on.

Jimbo44
01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
If it does, ask them why some places do NOT put it on??

Don Tomas
01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
If it does, ask them why some places do NOT put it on??

Because they break the law and don't pay their taxes which will catch up with them eventually.

The 16 & 10% is the law.

Cuba Libre
01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Because they break the law and don't pay their taxes which will catch up with them eventually.

The 16 & 10% is the law.I think only the 16% (ITBIS??) is required to be collected.

The 10% is a service charge which is supposed to go to the employee. I've been told that in some places the owner keeps the 10% and pays a higher salary, and in some places the owner keeps the 10% and screws the employee. I'm guessing the second case is illegal.

weyland
01-15-2008, 07:42 PM

The 16 & 10% is the law.
... or it is already included in the price. If I remember correctly, Billy at Field of Dreams included the 16% ITBIS in the price charged to customers. Of course, when he did his tax returns he had to separate it out for the authorities. I cannot remember whether he similarly included the 10% or not.

weyland
01-15-2008, 07:44 PM
The 10% is a service charge which is supposed to go to the employee. I've been told that in some places the owner keeps the 10% and pays a higher salary, and in some places the owner keeps the 10% and screws the employee. I'm guessing the second case is illegal.
Best of luck claiming the 10% if you are Haitian!

Beads
01-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Anyplace that wants to cater to Americans should include all taxes in the cost of EVERYTHING. Were used to a small tax factor but when you see 16% being added it ends up making the final bill a lot higher than some people expect.

This way they know the bill at the end will be about what they saw on the menu not 25% higher.

weyland
01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Anyplace that wants to cater to Americans should include all taxes in the cost of EVERYTHING. Were used to a small tax factor but when you see 16% being added it ends up making the final bill a lot higher than some people expect.

This way they know the bill at the end will be about what they saw on the menu not 25% higher.
Yes, and wipe their asses for them too! We mustn't let the real world be too harsh for them, poor simpletons.

We Brits are tough. We are accustomed to 17.5% being added. Paying a bill in the DR is like receiving a 1.5% discount for us! :)

Beads
01-15-2008, 07:54 PM
What are there like 3 Brits on the whole island?

Jimmydr
01-15-2008, 07:55 PM

There are 6 in high season.

weyland
01-15-2008, 08:04 PM

Three Brits and a Haitian, all smiling although we had just paid a restaurant bill.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/6568478d57946c865.jpg

Beads
01-15-2008, 08:07 PM
I wonder what happened to those other Brits. They disappeared !

I retract my statement there are 0 Brits in the DR right now! :rofl:

weyland
01-15-2008, 08:13 PM
I wonder what happened to those other Brits. They disappeared !

I retract my statement there are 0 Brits in the DR right now! :rofl:

I expect press releases here from the three Brits in my picture regarding their plans shortly.

Don Tomas
01-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Anyplace that wants to cater to Americans should include all taxes in the cost of EVERYTHING. Were used to a small tax factor...

Clearly you have never shopped/ate in Chicago! I would have presumed NYC to be as worse with taxes.

Don Tomas
01-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Yes, and wipe their asses for them too! We mustn't let the real world be too harsh for them, poor simpletons.

I prefer to whipe my own ass thank you very much.

Afterall what am I to do with all of those pictures of the queen you post!:rofl:

nomad
01-16-2008, 09:20 AM
okay enough is enough, it was a genuine error a long time ago I hoped it was forgotten about. Yes there are some brits around (was there Sept, Dec/Jan returning March) but we leave the posting to our more eloquent older statesman (weyland).

Regarding the pub it looks really nice I was there on the opening trial night and I know one of the bar maids really well. We should at least give the guys a chance its a brave move and I for one wish them luck.

guttaman
01-16-2008, 09:31 AM
okay enough is enough, it was a genuine error a long time ago I hoped it was forgotten about. Yes there are some brits around (was there Sept, Dec/Jan returning March) but we leave the posting to our more eloquent older statesman (weyland).

Regarding the pub it looks really nice I was there on the opening trial night and I know one of the bar maids really well. We should at least give the guys a chance its a brave move and I for one wish them luck.

Hey, they advertise 2 of my favorite words " HAPPY HOUR ". I would usually go to Rubys at happy hour for the 3 Ron Barcelo drinks for RD120 but the place is boring with no tv and no chicas. A good looking chica behind the bar is definately a deal maker.

Gutter Meat
01-16-2008, 09:46 AM
There was no tax added on to my bill. The bar itself has 14 chairs.

Gutter Meat
01-16-2008, 09:49 AM
I think only the 16% (ITBIS??) is required to be collected.

The 10% is the tip ??? In that case I aint tipping anymore.

El Capitan
01-16-2008, 10:47 AM
The 10% is the tip ??? In that case I aint tipping anymore.

Sounds about right....(where you from again?)

In FL 20% is the norm for a good tip....I've found that droppin a couple extras pesos ca$h in the hands of my DR servers gets me great service the next time......and dare I say, failure to do so could get you the "blue plate w/special sauce" the next time......

"Tipping is not city in CHINA"....

Fiteen days til I'm back in pit.....

Don Tomas
01-16-2008, 06:44 PM
In FL 20% is the norm for a good tip....

I lived in Florida for 4+ years and rarely ever got good service!:rofl:

PS. If you ever get horrible service, never leave nothing, they will just think you forgot. Leave a nickel!

Don Tomas
01-16-2008, 06:55 PM
"Tipping is not city in CHINA"....

It's funny when people say that like a tip is a guarantee or something.

Besides the Chinese Communist Government formerly declared tips unnecessary since giving good service was supposed to be its own reward.

Actually in Japan if you tip, the person would be highly insulted!

In Europe it's optional in most countries.

But in the US, well it's expected. Think about it, extra money is expected for doing your job!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

snoozer
01-16-2008, 08:32 PM
I stopped in there tonight on the way off the beach. I liked the feel of the place, each of the girls working there came up to me to introduce themselves throughout the hour I was there. I had a burger and fries, very quick, tasty, almost too many fries and definetly too much salt on the fries.

Two of the owners approached me after I was done to see if I enjoyed my food.

One of the girls, Celine, was very cute and chatty, she is a big asset to the place.

The biggest negative I have, and I have heard it from others, is that the stools are very uncomfortable. They are the typical dominican wicker stools, I cannot imagine spending much time sitting on them,

Overall I was impressed with the place and the way the owners are actively involved. I have a feeling they are on to a winner, time will tell.

Hemp
01-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Great Post...ive always thought that myself.

Besides the Chinese Communist Government formerly declared tips unnecessary since giving good service was supposed to be its own reward.

But in the US, well it's expected. Think about it, extra money is expected for doing your job!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jimmydr
01-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Maximus and I tip our regula waitress about $10-$13 every week and we don't have to ask for more soda, coffee, napkins or nothing usually. It took a while to get her, but it works well.

Gutter Meat
01-16-2008, 10:32 PM
SNOOZER,
The friend I was down with said the same thing about those wooded straw stools.

vagabond
01-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Yes it's incredible. Those stools starts hurting after 5 minutes, I don't think the owners can have tried them. They also got them in the old Plutus, which has been remodelled and expanded.

MisterPink
01-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Yes it's incredible. Those stools starts hurting after 5 minutes, I don't think the owners can have tried them. They also got them in the old Plutus, which has been remodelled and expanded.

I like the old bartenders from the original Pluto's. It's too bad the owner took the hot one back to Italy. I do not care for the current set up, not as intimate as the old one.

3somefan
01-18-2008, 08:40 PM

DT~

One thing you haven't mentioned though here is, that waitstaff in the US make minimum wage or less per hour. Most live on the tips. My 20 yr old sister works at a Applebee's in a very well to do suburb. She makes like minimum wage. That is enough motivation to do her best job so that she can earn good tips. She has a son and the dad is a deadbeat, so she needs every extra penny. I'm sure it helps that she is a stunner, but still..

I think that she averages about $150-$250 per night in tips depending on the night, so she does well. If there was no tipping in the US, then establishments would probably have to adjust their wages to make up for that. That would probably hurt those business quite a bit also!

snoozer
01-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I mentioned the stools to one of the owners before I left. He said he would figure out a solution. I had another person mention it today. BTW the place was packed last night at 9PM.

Jimmydr
01-19-2008, 07:16 AM
DT~

One thing you haven't mentioned though here is, that waitstaff in the US make minimum wage or less per hour. Most live on the tips. My 20 yr old sister works at a Applebee's in a very well to do suburb. She makes like minimum wage. That is enough motivation to do her best job so that she can earn good tips. She has a son and the dad is a deadbeat, so she needs every extra penny. I'm sure it helps that she is a stunner, but still..

I think that she averages about $150-$250 per night in tips depending on the night, so she does well. If there was no tipping in the US, then establishments would probably have to adjust their wages to make up for that. That would probably hurt those business quite a bit also!

That I find hard to believe but one never knows.

Apos
01-19-2008, 07:23 AM
are you and weyland both off your meds today? :eek::rolleyes:
why must you be so miserable?:icontd:

Jimmydr
01-19-2008, 07:28 AM
are you and weyland both off your meds today? :eek::rolleyes:
why must you be so miserable?:icontd:

I am rude and an asshole, even have a poll to prove it and I should be on about $2,000 a month worth of meds but I can't afford it.

Any more questions?

Jimmydr
01-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Back to the restaurant. How about some sort of photo shoot maybe Cheeno or EricS style?

Don Tomas
01-19-2008, 08:08 AM
DT~

Funny I don't see restaurants going out of business in the rest of the world. I agree corporate US screws over servers but seriously why should it come out of my pocket?

I waited tables long ago and the tips were independent of quality service or not (we all have bad days), hell I know people who tip based on the food quality!

PS. Also I am quite sure she is reporting ALL of her tips to the IRS... Again who is getting screwed there, oh I know; people who don't get tips for just doing their job.

shooter
01-19-2008, 09:28 AM
servers do not make minimum wage. It was $2.13 per hour since I have been in the biz for 38 years. Just last year it was raised to 3.25 per hour in my state. Some nights you walk with $200 and some nights you go home early without serving a table and some nights you make $20 in tips for 6 hours of work. Serving ain't brain surgery, but you work very hard for $200 take home in tips. It's one of those jobs that you have to do to know how much stress is involved and how much physical labor it takes.

prtyr2
01-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Don't blame the wait staff. . .blame the system. It is true that most wait staff get paid almost nothing in fact many times below minimum wage. I used to hang at a local bar in long island. The owner paid 30 bucks for shift pay. 7pm till closing so it could be 9 hours on a weekend night. A bit over 3 bucks per hour. bar maids lived on tips. I tipped well and was fave customer to most.

Now how the damn system got started that way is another topic. If I blow 100 bucks on a meal in a nice restaurant. . . you'd think they'd have some profit left over to pay the waiter. Restaurants would argue that if they were forced the pay the wait staff decent wages, prices would go way up.

They got a great scam going. If customers refuse to tip or tip badly, the owners do not suffer, the wait staff does. Because of this they get away with having cheap labor.

Jimmydr
01-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Don't blame the wait staff. . .blame the system. It is true that most wait staff get paid almost nothing in fact many times below minimum wage. I used to hang at a local bar in long island. The owner paid 30 bucks for shift pay. 7pm till closing so it could be 9 hours on a weekend night. A bit over 3 bucks per hour. bar maids lived on tips. I tipped well and was fave customer to most.

Now how the damn system got started that way is another topic. If I blow 100 bucks on a meal in a nice restaurant. . . you'd think they'd have some profit left over to pay the waiter. Restaurants would argue that if they were forced the pay the wait staff decent wages, prices would go way up.

They got a great scam going. If customers refuse to tip or tip badly, the owners do not suffer, the wait staff does. Because of this they get away with having cheap labor.

I have been using regular waitstaff whenever possible and i tip them well. I expect to never be out of coffee or soda and usually I am not.

Beads
01-19-2008, 11:02 AM

If the wait staff doesn't make decent wages between pay and tips the restaurant will have the worst wait staff. Good wait staff realize they can make decent money by working in a place that has good tips or good pay(one way or another they will get decent money).

So either the owner waits the tables or he watches his business go into the shitter because theres always plenty of restaurants around. Why go to one with crappy service?

prtyr2
01-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I agree. However some seem to be complaining about tipping waitstaff for "doing their job". If we all stopped tipping tomorrow. . . .there would be a lot of waiters eating catfood. I am noticing more restaurants just adding 15 or 18 percent on the bill. Since I normally tip 20% plus I guess that saves me money.

BTW one of the reasons good service is hard to come by in the DR. Since many restaurants add the 10% to the bill tips are split by all wait staff. Where is the incentive to do a good job? A waiter that busts his ass to take care of customers will make the same as the idiot on the cell phone all night.

Don Tomas
01-19-2008, 06:00 PM
I agree. However some seem to be complaining about tipping waitstaff for "doing their job".

Don't get me wrong.

Speaking in US terms:

Ideally the wages should be higher for wait staff.
I do tip but I have tipped anywhere from a nickel (to a few obnoxious people) to 40% and I am not talking about a bartender.
I do not believe in a set tip amount. (i.e. 20%) I tip based on the meal, restaurant "status", and service.
If the bill includes a tip in the US which as mentioned can be 15-18% I won't go there again and that's all they get.
I do tip in cash even if I pay with a credit card.
I do resent the full pay people having to pay full taxes while wait staff under report their tips! (They all do)As for other countries...."When in Rome, do as the Romans" afterall do you pay US hooker prices in other countries?

3somefan
01-19-2008, 06:11 PM

Well..you will just have to take my word for it! I won't ever post pictures of my sisters on a whore board!!

Now my sexy ass...that is another story! :D

Jimmydr
01-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Well..you will just have to take my word for it! I won't ever post pictures of my sisters on a whore board!!

Now my sexy ass...that is another story! :D

Even I would never ask you to do that, I think.

Gutter Meat
01-21-2008, 03:07 AM
21 January 2008
An Irish pub in Sosúa
An Irish pub has recently opened in Sosúa - opposite Fat Herman's bar, and next door to Harrison's Jewelry Store. The pub is well furnished, with a large long bar and plenty of seating. The lighting gives it a good atmosphere and the music comes from the 1970s and 1980s. The colour is mostly Irish Green, of course.
It's really a great bar. The pub is open from 9am to 1am the next day. You can enjoy an excellent breakfast there, or a good dinner for a reasonable price. Meals cost between 100 and 250 pesos. Happy Hour is from 2-7pm, when the local drinks (such as a cubre libre or Presidente) cost only 50 pesos.

Pedro McMurphy's Irish Sports Pub
In addition to satellite TV, so you can enjoy all your favourite sporting events, the bar also offers free wireless Internet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try out
Tony O'Brian and William GroveFred Bilaway, William Grove and Tony O'Brian are the owners of this delightful Irish pub. They originally hail from the USA and Canada, but since Tony's family come from Ireland they naturally felt they were fully qualified to open an Irish pub.
The owners are using the month of January as a 'try out' for their new pub. They want to overcome any teething troubles before announcing the 'official' opening. However, they promised this Sosúa-News reporter that when they do officially open in February, it will be a party night to remember!
By the way, the pub is called 'Pedro McMurphy's Irish Sports Pub'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gutter Meat
01-21-2008, 03:16 AM

I think the problem why they seem so uncomfortable is that the bar does not have the platform or ledge where you rest your feet under the bar when you sit there. Most bars have it and it gives your feet a place to rest and get support.

Jimmydr
01-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I thin we need a few dozen pictures of the place.

ErikS
01-22-2008, 07:41 AM
I thin we need a few dozen pictures of the place.

I could have sworn I posted these a few weeks ago? :confused:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/ErikS_/1-Jan%202008/IMGP1138.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/ErikS_/1-Jan%202008/IMGP1139.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/ErikS_/1-Jan%202008/IMGP1140.jpg

All from the unofficial "opening day".

guttaman
01-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Good looking place.

Magnum
01-25-2008, 06:24 AM
I stopped in twice while I was down last week and the place has a good feel to it. The service was excellent, the place was spotless and the food was pretty good - typical "bar" food but it was worth it. I would recommend the calamari appetizer - delicious.

They have some pretty nice looking chicas working there as well which does not hurt. It appeared to be mostly a European crowd when I was there. More of a family type atmosphere as opposed to the regular bar scene at Lou's.

weyland
01-25-2008, 06:56 AM
They have some pretty nice looking chicas working there as well which does not hurt. It appeared to be mostly a European crowd when I was there. More of a family type atmosphere as opposed to the regular bar scene at Lou's.
Lou has been terrific to me although I don't spend much with him (I'm a non-drinker). He and ErikS even shared their lovingly prepared steaks with my chica when I was too slow to order, and at no charge - how's that for service! But this sounds more like my sort of place for having a conversation (which is difficult enough anywhere with my fragmentary Spanish). The Shark Bar is incredibly noisy most of the time and there is an ugly bald waitress who scares the pants off me.

But these people will have to get rid of the Fenian theme to attract my regular custom. A few flags of St George and pictures of David Beckham and Basil Fawlty would brighten the place up no end.

snoozer
01-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Lou has been terrific to me although I don't spend much with him (I'm a non-drinker - he and ErikS even even shared their lovingly prepared steaks with my chica when I was too slow to order, and at no charge - how's that for service!) but this sounds more like my place if you want to have a conversation which is difficult enough anywhere with my fragmentary Spanish. The Shark Bar is incredibly noisy most of the time and there is an ugly bald waitress who scares the pants off me.

But these people will have to get rid of the Fenian theme to attract my regular custom. A few flags of St George and pictures of David Beckham and Basil Fawlty would brighten the place up no end.
Weyland, I promised to bring them some junk for the walls when I return in March so will try to slip in a little English atmophere so you feel at home. i will check with Fred maybe he could add marmite on toast to the menu too.

Apos
01-25-2008, 07:43 AM
how does it compare to your fav local restaurant back home? :D
I stopped in twice while I was down last week and the place has a good feel to it. The service was excellent, the place was spotless and the food was pretty good - typical "bar" food but it was worth it. I would recommend the calamari appetizer - delicious.

They have some pretty nice looking chicas working there as well which does not hurt. It appeared to be mostly a European crowd when I was there. More of a family type atmosphere as opposed to the regular bar scene at Lou's.as i recall, although i was drunk at the time, it was OUTSTANDING! :corky:

jd_mine
01-25-2008, 08:44 AM
The Shark Bar is incredibly noisy most of the time and there is an ugly bald waitress who scares the pants off me

I agree it's too noisy to have a conversation. The ugly bald waitress is always nice to me though!

Magnum
01-25-2008, 08:49 AM
how does it compare to your fav local restaurant back home? :Das i recall, although i was drunk at the time, it was OUTSTANDING! :corky:

Nothing touches the Belle Harbor Steak House.....you liked that place huh? ;)

Must have been the Cuervo!

Did you think I would take you to Wendy's??????

Apos
01-25-2008, 08:55 AM
rumour has it that i'm a cheap date...but in your case i made an exception :rolleyes::lol:

Nothing touches the Belle Harbor Steak House.....you liked that place huh? ;)

Must have been the Cuervo!

Did you think I would take you to Wendy's??????
that was one of the best steaks i've ever had and the octopus was incredible!!! :D

yourmomma999
01-25-2008, 09:12 AM
On that note a few times I went to LA Roca, even though it is the biggest rip off going with their tax and Itbis crap. But the food is good. I can wait to get that stuff at home here in ny for half the price. Anyways there is one big chubby waiter there that really sucks ass. forgot his dumbass name.

I agree. However some seem to be complaining about tipping waitstaff for "doing their job". If we all stopped tipping tomorrow. . . .there would be a lot of waiters eating catfood. I am noticing more restaurants just adding 15 or 18 percent on the bill. Since I normally tip 20% plus I guess that saves me money.

BTW one of the reasons good service is hard to come by in the DR. Since many restaurants add the 10% to the bill tips are split by all wait staff. Where is the incentive to do a good job? A waiter that busts his ass to take care of customers will make the same as the idiot on the cell phone all night.

guttaman
01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
I agree it's too noisy to have a conversation. The ugly bald waitress is always nice to me though!

Quick reply, the bald waitress is uglier than ever. But i ate at Pedros 2 days straight and it i well worth it.

MisterPink
01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Quick reply, the bald waitress is uglier than ever. But i ate at Pedros 2 days straight and it i well worth it.
Good to see you are eating well BottonYim!

What do they have besides burgers, and how expensive is it?

The barmaids looked cute, can you salida them?

see ya' soon!

drdreamer
03-09-2008, 11:27 AM
For Sale after just 2 months? Who wins the bet?

MisterPink
03-09-2008, 11:34 AM

They DO NOT charge either FYI.

Rubicon
03-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I, my brother, and a buddy stopped through there during my last trip and there wasn't a soul in the place besides the two chicas working there. We walked right out and went on over to Lou's.

Jimmydr
03-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I, my brother, and a buddy stopped through there during my last trip and there wasn't a soul in the place besides the two chicas working there. We walked right out and went on over to Lou's.

You need a following. Lou has two, one from work and the other from ISOC. Rockies has two has well, DR1 and here. With no following you are doomed!

Cuba Libre
03-09-2008, 04:13 PM
For Sale after just 2 months? Who wins the bet?Where did you hear it is up for sale?

guttaman
03-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Here: http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=95191

snoozer
03-09-2008, 04:26 PM
When I left on Feb 1st it was one of the busiest early evening bars in town, has it changed that much? I will be back in 5 days to get an update from the owners.

gdogg
03-09-2008, 05:11 PM
It was busy when I first got there (the beginning of the month). Before I left (the end of the month), I heard it was up for sale. The quality and portions of the food diminished over a weekend. The first wings I had there were among the best I ever had. I went there two days later and the wings were horrible. It was like they changed to a inferior distributor. I'm sure MrPink won't mind chiming in about his sandwich problems.

Happy hour was the BOMB though!!

Gutter Meat
03-09-2008, 05:55 PM
last night at 10pm was a full house.

MisterPink
03-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm sure MrPink won't mind chiming in about his sandwich problems.

Happy hour was the BOMB though!!

The RD50 Peso beers during Happy Hour can not be beat. I agree with Gdogg, about inconsistant food there. I had a "garlic issue" once, that interfered with my toto desert. I recommend try the food for yourself, the kitchen is spotless, and I never got sick.

Jimmydr
03-09-2008, 06:37 PM
The RD50 Peso beers during Happy Hour can not be beat. I agree with Gdogg, about inconsistant food there. I had a "garlic issue" once, that interfered with my toto desert. I recommend try the food for yourself, the kitchen is spotless, and I never got sick.

You can't make money with 50 peso beers. They buy them for 28-30 each.

3somefan
03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
You can't make money with 50 peso beers. They buy them for 28-30 each.

You are correct, but I think they take the hit on the beer in hopes of getting those in there for them to buy other things. Plus, it also gets a lot of people in there to be introduced to the new bar. If they can paint a good picture, people tend to come back, hence repeat business.

Jimmydr
03-09-2008, 06:47 PM
You are correct, but I think they take the hit on the beer in hopes of getting those in there for them to buy other things. Plus, it also gets a lot of people in there to be introduced to the new bar. If they can paint a good picture, people tend to come back, hence repeat business.

I have been going to Sosua "10 years" and have seen 99% of all the new business go out of business. Only bailys, Passions and Shark Bar, came and stayed in my time.

Cuba Libre
03-09-2008, 08:24 PM
When I left on Feb 1st it was one of the busiest early evening bars in town, has it changed that much? I will be back in 5 days to get an update from the owners.Are you going to believe anything they say, they're trying to sell the place.

gdogg
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
last night at 10pm was a full house.

That's good to know. The service was great and the food came out rather promptly. I was actually upset when my food came out before I finished my drink (my order was to go). The wing quality went down, but I still bought them two more times.

Once again, Happy Hour is the bomb there.

gdogg
03-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Ah, yes! Pink brings up a great point. No one got sick from this place.They actually helped us to recover. There was a bug going around, and at least half the people I hung with or talked to caught it (including me, as usual). The first thing I was able to keep down were those initial wings I was talking about.

El Drunko
03-11-2008, 05:17 PM
I went there for 1 beer, The stools are so bad I didn't even finish it, I left.

weyland
03-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I have been going to Sosua "10 years" and have seen 99% of all the new business go out of business. Only bailys, Passions and Shark Bar, came and stayed in my time.
Daisy is still in business after 10 years and, I understand, she is still finding customers. :rolleyes:

Jimmydr
03-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Daisy is still in business after 10 years and, I understand, she is still finding customers. :rolleyes:

Daisy was not there 10 years ago?

jensenspecial
03-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Best of luck claiming the 10% if you are Haitian!

haitians don't worry about it coz they don't work as camareras if not in the dark corners off the main strip

Hemp
03-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Mcmurphy's is a cool spot...i liked it alot!!! owners put in some genuwine effort into the place...it reminds me of a bar stateside being there!!! there wings ROCK!!! prompt service.

and happy hour is NICE!!! i had a quick chat with the main owner...i told him great place and he kept thanking me...very humble guy.

the 4 flat screen t.v.'s need to be lowerd though.

Jimmydr
03-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Mcmurphy's is a cool spot...i liked it alot!!! owners put in some genuwine effort into the place...it reminds me of a bar stateside being there!!! there wings ROCK!!! prompt service.

and happy hour is NICE!!! i had a quick chat with the main owner...i told him great place and he kept thanking me...very humble guy.

You can't do $500,000 a year in Sales in Sosua, not even half of that. They are in the wrong place.

MisterPink
03-12-2008, 10:47 AM

Why is it for sale after being open less than 2 months?
It makes go hmmmmmmmmm?

mp

Hemp
03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
is it? didnt know that...

o well, its a cool spot though.

Why is it for sale after being open less than 2 months?
It makes go hmmmmmmmmm?

mp

MisterPink
03-12-2008, 11:02 AM
is it? didnt know that...

o well, its a cool spot though.
I had some good times there as well!

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/bfs/588555661.html

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/bfs/596183175.html

Cuba Libre
03-12-2008, 03:22 PM
You can't do $500,000 a year in Sales in Sosua, not even half of that. They are in the wrong place.Who's talking about $500,000 in sales?

MisterPink
03-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Who's talking about $500,000 in sales?
JDR must have multiplied $22,000 X 12 in his head!

Jimmydr
03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Who's talking about $500,000 in sales?

If two guys are going to open a business in Sosua and their goal is to have $50,000 a year in gross sales, I see a problem with that plan. Most places don't do $25,000 a year.

moshy2k
03-12-2008, 07:28 PM
I was very happy with the place and LOVED the wings............ Hempstead and I got into a heated arguement after getting drunk at this spot. We continued our debate as we staggered down the street to La Passions.

Where TPdog acted as the referee until Hempstead decided to stop being an asshole lol lol.

But again let me say McMurphy's was a GREAT spot and had the CLEANEST BATHROOM on the strip.

jd_mine
03-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Yesterday the owner was celebrating he had sold the place at a nice profit (and just before low season as well :-) )

MisterPink
03-13-2008, 11:17 AM
It was NOT sold.

Yesterday the owner was celebrating he had sold the place at a nice profit (and just before low season as well :-) )

Jimmydr
03-13-2008, 11:20 AM

I find that hard to believe?

weyland
03-13-2008, 11:29 AM
It was NOT sold.
Maybe they agreed a price and shook on it, then the purchasers decided they wanted motoconcho money and sandals from Tienda Jiménez on top so it all fell through?

Jimmydr
03-13-2008, 11:33 AM
First thing any seasoned travel to sosua will notice over a 5-10 year period is that 90% of all business there goes out of business because the product either sucks or is over priced. There may be 10 places sill in business from my first trip in 1997 and thats the Mora Mai, and the surrounding restaurants near it, the Europa and Club Residential. They all have something in common, they own the structures they are in, I think.

Over the years came Baileys, Passions and Rockies. They have a good product priced right.

If you want to open a business there, you need your head examined.

MisterPink
03-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Maybe they agreed a price and shook on it, then the purchasers decided they wanted motoconcho money and sandals from Tienda Jiménez on top so it all fell through?

The deal breaker was a BBBJ in the back seat of a Montero in the Sugar Cane Batey's of Puerto Plata!

I am being told the deal is back on the table as we speak.

MisterPink
03-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Over the years came Baileys, Passions and Rockies. They have a good product priced right.

You said this 3X already!

Jimmydr
03-13-2008, 11:42 AM
You said this 3X already!

I will say it 50 more times and someone will post that a new business has opened and closed maybe 500 more times in the next 20 years.

ElPlomero
03-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Whoever (if anyone) buys that place, should insist that the barstools be replaced before papers are passed.

luv2party2
03-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Just got back from Sosua yesterday Pic and reportss to follow.

Had a nice conversation with the owner of Pedro's. He's a Candadien guy who has lived in Sosua for 2 years and has his own real estate company. He opened the bar as a awy to meet people and market the rela estate better.

He is not selling it....He did apologize UP FRONT for the lousy bar chairs.

Great Location, good cook. and Happy Hour is 100 pesos wings or chicken fingers.

Good place to eat ...so far

balcoach
03-29-2008, 08:31 AM
The Canadian Realtor is the guy who bought it. He and his wife took over the place right around St. Patricks Day. Seem to be good people, and always seem to have a decent lil' crowd around in the after noon, lunch time. Service is good and prompt, and food was good. And I told the new guy they needed to do something about the chairs and he agreed.

weyland
03-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Had a nice conversation with the owner of Pedro's ... He is not selling it

The Canadian Realtor is the guy who bought it. He and his wife took over the place right around St. Patricks Day.

Wow, under the same ownership now for two weeks and not on the market yet? Give him three months :)

Jimmydr
03-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Wow, under the same ownership now for two weeks and not on the market yet? Give him three months :)

Is that the 9th owner in 2 years?

TPdog
03-29-2008, 10:09 AM
This place is nice :smile: Great location with a lot of action passing by....
I have been with Moshy and Hempstead on 5 trips and numerous nights and can count on one hand how many times I saw them drunk (especially Hemp).....in the middle of the day; not once but twice these guys were drinking like they were JayMan and ELdrunko :eek: in Pedro's. Both these guys are metro-sexuals and loved the clean bathrooms (Moshy:rofl: ) good food, clean place, fast service....and evidently strong drinks!

Cuba Libre
03-29-2008, 12:15 PM
The Canadian Realtor is the guy who bought it. He and his wife took over the place right around St. Patricks Day. Seem to be good people, and always seem to have a decent lil' crowd around in the after noon, lunch time. Service is good and prompt, and food was good. And I told the new guy they needed to do something about the chairs and he agreed.The new owner, Garth, seems like a nice guy.

But he seems to know very little about running a resturant. Hopefully, it will work out.

MisterPink
03-29-2008, 03:07 PM
The new owner, Garth, seems like a nice guy.

But he seems to know very little about running a resturant. Hopefully, it will work out.

I enjoy staring @ Celemny's huge milk cans as I imbibe!
He needs to turbo charge that menu a little, get rid of those terrible cane chairs.
http://bp1.blogger.com/_F3c4-72tnhg/R6muGq0kDdI/AAAAAAAAAiQ/UmTTvaHrxsM/s1600-h/Superbowlsoleni.jpg
pink

Jimmydr
03-29-2008, 03:08 PM
The new owner, Garth, seems like a nice guy.

They should name it that!

MisterPink
03-29-2008, 03:10 PM
They should name it that!
I heard the name Route 66 is available!
Just kidding....BTW they opened a souvenir shop, in Casita #66, a novel idea for the beach.

pink

Jimmydr
03-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I heard the name Route 66 is available!
Just kidding....BTW they opened a souvenir shop, in Casita #66, a novel idea for the beach.

pink

It should be available another 50 times in the next 40 years.

moshy2k
03-29-2008, 09:30 PM
This place is nice :smile: Great location with a lot of action passing by....
I have been with Moshy and Hempstead on 5 trips and numerous nights and can count on one hand how many times I saw them drunk (especially Hemp).....in the middle of the day; not once but twice these guys were drinking like they were JayMan and ELdrunko :eek: in Pedro's. Both these guys are metro-sexuals and loved the clean bathrooms (Moshy:rofl: ) good food, clean place, fast service....and evidently strong drinks!

I will admit to be drunk on multiple days. However, it was Tpdog and Hempstead admiring how nice their nails looked after the manicure which INCLUDED NAIL POLISH.

I am NO Metro-sexual... But you and Hemp are both nail polish loving Metro-sexuals.

TPdog
03-29-2008, 10:55 PM
I will admit that I received my first combination manicure/bbbjcim and it was clear nail polish....and they still look good....;)

I will admit to be drunk on multiple days. However, it was Tpdog and Hempstead admiring how nice their nails looked after the manicure which INCLUDED NAIL POLISH.

I am NO Metro-sexual... But you and Hemp are both nail polish loving Metro-sexuals.

moshy2k
03-29-2008, 11:20 PM
I will admit that I received my first combination manicure/bbbjcim and it was clear nail polish....and they still look good....;)

What about the sparkles your girlfriend included in the manicure???? LOL

TPdog
03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
The sparkles were only in her eyes when I got the manicure/bj combination...lol

What about the sparkles your girlfriend included in the manicure???? LOL

bandera
04-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Will be in Sosua Thursday to Monday. Need, among other things a haircut, shave, manicure, pedicure, bbbj...

Thanks for the tip on wings and happy hour from 2 to 7 but can you give a guy some help on a great haircut et al...

Also, feedback on the Haitian chicas would be appreciated. Perhaps we should do this over uncomfortable chairs enjoying happy hour watching T.H.E. final four on multi TV's.

Thanks,

Bandera

3somefan
04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Will be in Sosua Thursday to Monday. Need, among other things a haircut, shave, manicure, pedicure, bbbj...

Thanks for the tip on wings and happy hour from 2 to 7 but can you give a guy some help on a great haircut et al...

Also, feedback on the Haitian chicas would be appreciated. Perhaps we should do this over uncomfortable chairs enjoying happy hour watching T.H.E. final four on multi TV's.

Thanks,

Bandera

Bandera...

I got a nice hair cut and shave from a place right across the street from Rocky's. It was a salon, but there was a Dominican man there that worked with me.

Jimbo44
04-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Thanks,

Bandera
If you want to be in Heaven, then stick with a Dominican chica, if u want to be filled with Drama, then go fuck a Haitian chica.

weyland
04-04-2008, 03:59 PM
If you want to be in Heaven, then stick with a Dominican chica, if u want to be filled with Drama, then go fuck a Haitian chica.
This man is deranged. The opposite is obviously the case.

Another one off my tea-party list. Good, it's getting down to a manageable size now

cainer
04-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I stopped in there tonight on the way off the beach. I liked the feel of the place, each of the girls working there came up to me to introduce themselves throughout the hour I was there. I had a burger and fries, very quick, tasty, almost too many fries and definetly too much salt on the fries.

Two of the owners approached me after I was done to see if I enjoyed my food.

One of the girls, Celine, was very cute and chatty, she is a big asset to the place.

The biggest negative I have, and I have heard it from others, is that the stools are very uncomfortable. They are the typical dominican wicker stools, I cannot imagine spending much time sitting on them,

Overall I was impressed with the place and the way the owners are actively involved. I have a feeling they are on to a winner, time will tell.

Hey, just wondering if there is any recent feed back on this place, pedro mcmurphys. Ill be giving this resturant a more recent updated review in another week or so.

Anyone been in there lately? Are the beers still cheaper and the food still pretty good and resonablely priced? Are those chitty chairs still there as well?

How close is it to Club residencial? Help pls lol por favor

And kind of off topic but, which word is more used in the Dominican to say i dont understand. NO comprendo or no entiendo? I have a feeling ill be saying this a lot so I need clarification lol thanks

Jimmydr
04-09-2008, 02:32 PM
And kind of off topic but, which word is more used in the Dominican to say i dont understand. NO comprendo or no entiendo? thanks

They both will work.

TPdog
04-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Even though I have not experienced a lot of drama, I really don't care of their background....it they are hot and we hit if off....then we fuck....it happens that I have fucked more Haitian's than Dominican's.

blacksultan
04-09-2008, 10:32 PM

I would not necessarily agree with Jimbo on this. My last chica that I got with in November in Sosua was a Hatiana and the sex was great. I think you have to choose carefully and YMMV.

MisterPink
04-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Did they get new chairs yet?

mister p

Jimbo44
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
This man is deranged. The opposite is obviously the case.

Another one off my tea-party list. Good, it's getting down to a manageable size now

I should have mentioned that, I am speaking from my own personal experience as well as from a wingman I had at that time...