PDA

View Full Version : Tipping in the DR

El Capitan
01-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Saw this on DR1......Keyword: "customary"

Tip bill
President of the National Hotel and Restaurants Worker's Union (UNATRAHOREST) Pedro Pena Fana has expressed his opposition to a bill that seeks to eliminate a 10% tax that is added to restaurant customers' bills. The proposal, which was submitted to the Chamber of Deputies by Deputy Luis Gonzalez Sanchez, aims to modify articles 228,229 and 230 of the Labor Code. Arturo Villanueva, speaking on behalf of the hotels and restaurant association (Asonahores), said that he doesn't support the bill either, nor was Asonahores consulted. Restaurant patrons have to pay 26% on top of the cost of the dinner, that is 16% ITBIS tax plus the 10% tip. In addition, it is customary to tip an additional 10%.

Pana
01-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I always tip any where I go if the tip is not included in the bill , if it is I dont give shit especially when I eat out here in Manhantan(East Side). In DR I always tip the maid, and the waitress a couple of pesos is nothing to me.

Beads
01-17-2008, 02:52 PM
I try to stay away from places with 26% tax added to my bill at the end. Even ones with the 16% added at the end tend to keep me away. I prefer to tip based upon service.

I understand people are paid crappy in the DR so tips help A LOT.

Last trip I was treated EXCEPTIONALLY all night in a bar. We had 15 grande presidentes and I was there because I knew it was only 100RD per bottle. So for under $50 myself and several other friends got to have a good time.

The waitress was extremely attentive of our table and we were never without beer. She checked up on us and even came and talked with us for a while. The bill was 1500RD. I gave her 500RD as a tip.

Was it a little high for a tip? Probably but I saw an older chica working hard for her money at every table. I felt her effort deserved a nice tip.

TPdog
01-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Look at the bill when you get it. We went out to eat at a nice restaurant last trip and it had the added tip already on the bill. We did not tip extra.
If I get good service, I tip no matter where I am

greydread
01-17-2008, 03:45 PM
I posted this elsewhere earlier today:

Payment Reserved for Outstanding Performance.....

I tip the housekeepers RD$200/ day. I do that because I expect special services (extra face cloth, laundry delivery, etc.)

I tip the bartenders 25%-30%. I do this because I expect preferential treatment (deep pours, coldest available cerveza, bottle/ glass never empty, occassional drinks missing from check, etc.)

I tip my drivers 10%-15%. I do this because I expect preferential treatment (prompt delivery/ return, reasonable rates, "security detail" duty, etc.) On long "day trips" I will also buy the driver lunch or drinks.

It only stands to reason that I'd also tip the puta who responds to my whim. I do this because I expect preferential treatment. If I find an exceptional one (this accounts for about 10%) I want her to remember me on the callback and drop whatever cheap MF is in her ear at the time, novio or not.

Not all service providers get this (houskeepers, bartenders, drivers or putas) and they do not make my PROP list. Those that get it are kept close and referred to often. That's not just in the D.R., this is my method everywhere I go.

This is and should remain a matter of personal preference and a transaction directly between the client and the provider. If I see a mandatory tip padded bill anywhere, it's my last time there....oh yeah...

FUCK all labor unions

El Capitan
01-17-2008, 05:57 PM
I posted this elsewhere earlier today:

Payment Reserved for Outstanding Performance.....

I tip the housekeepers RD$200/ day. I do that because I expect special services (extra face cloth, laundry delivery, etc.)

I tip the bartenders 25%-30%. I do this because I expect preferential treatment (deep pours, coldest available cerveza, bottle/ glass never empty, occassional drinks missing from check, etc.)

I tip my drivers 10%-15%. I do this because I expect preferential treatment (prompt delivery/ return, reasonable rates, "security detail" duty, etc.) On long "day trips" I will also buy the driver lunch or drinks.

It only stands to reason that I'd also tip the puta who responds to my whim. I do this because I expect preferential treatment. If I find an exceptional one (this accounts for about 10%) I want her to remember me on the callback and drop whatever cheap MF is in her ear at the time, novio or not.

Not all service providers get this (houskeepers, bartenders, drivers or putas) and they do not make my PROP list. Those that get it are kept close and referred to often. That's not just in the D.R., this is my method everywhere I go.

This is and should remain a matter of personal preference and a transaction directly between the client and the provider. If I see a mandatory tip padded bill anywhere, it's my last time there....oh yeah...

FUCK all labor unions

We're on the same page here....I have Hotel Mercure and a couple of nearby restaurants "wired" for what I expect and they all know "Gringo" drops extra pesos in hand for the service....it's good to be the King, even if it co$t$ a little more.

Don Tomas
01-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Go out with a Dominican to a restaurant and see how much they tip...

PS. Now I do believe in a tip for good service, but again a tip is not suppose to be a guarantee.

El Capitan
01-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Go out with a Dominican to a restaurant and see how much they tip...

PS. Now I do believe in a tip for good service, but again a tip is not suppose to be a guarantee.

When I go out with DomiNIKAS I pay the bill :eek: ....I catch your drift, but then I ain't RICO the NIKO. I prefer to have my "zones" paid off....so far it's worked. Whenever I return, say to the Cafeteria de Penalba, I don't wait for tables outside....they hustle somebody who's close to leaving OUT..... so they can have my business...and my TIP....the longer I'm there, the more I drink, the bigger the "payoff".

ChicaRider
01-19-2008, 09:28 AM
For the record... even if the restaurant charges the 10% "service", it's not really a tip...at least not like in the US. The owner distributes it to all workers of the establishment *at his discretion*. The waiter/waitress is lucky to see 20-30% of that 10%.

Tipping an additional 10% *is* somewhat customary, and if you decide to do it, give it directly to the waiter...often the owner takes the actual tips as well...

I also try to avoid the 16 +10 places...or at least know which ones they are. If it doesn't say on the menu if it's included or not...ask, and always tell them you live there...often they won't add the 10%, and sometimes have a "locals" menu with better prices. If they take credit cards, tell them you're paying cash and would like a discount...This rarely works in SD as just about all decent restaurants charge the 26%