PDA

View Full Version : fact files

continentalmike
08-17-2004, 03:33 AM
OK guys, up till now a lot of reactions on this subject. It seems that some of our more experienced mongers have quite a lot of exp in el campo. Rick thanks for the distiinction between peublo and campo.

What I would like now is to establish some factual information.

1) Which Peublos or campos have been visited
2) How was your experience in this place

I'll start.

1) I have visited Gaspar Hernandes twice and I have visited an anonymous campo near there with a resident of Gaspar Hernandes. Gaspar Hernandes is about 40 min from Cabarete by gua-gua or publico

2) All exp were more or less the same, see my description in the other post on this subject. I found the exp to be very relaxing, very warm and very natural in all ways. The chicas were like an afterthought. Imo the so-called lack of amenities didn't detract from the exp. I am not someone who needs all kind of luxuries and have stayed in places worse than the circumstances these people experience.

Cheers,

Mike

Jimmydr
08-17-2004, 08:03 AM
I'll start.

1) I have visited Gaspar Hernandes twice and I have visited an anonymous campo near there with a resident of Gaspar Hernandes. Gaspar Hernandes is about 40 min from Cabarete by gua-gua or publico

Mike

I have been there many times. Its a major shopping area for many. as a matter of fact thats where I got my novias living room set back in October 2000.

Jimmydr
08-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Usually I like to travel with a buddy with 2 moto conches that I know, so if we get engine trouble or into an accident there will be someone else there. I have traveled as far as 45 minutes on a moto conch and its not the best way to get around but in those small towns, those streets are so narrow.

On motoconch if you see a chica he can turn around in 2 seconds and pursue. I always over pay my guy so I know he will look after me as his investment.

RickRock
08-17-2004, 03:14 PM
I take the moto to the airport, it's 100 pesos.. just watch for sand in your eyes right before the airport that shit blows all around

BrooklynBeas
08-18-2004, 09:48 AM
I take the moto to the airport, it's 100 pesos.. just watch for sand in your eyes right before the airport that shit blows all around

I guess you travel very light!!! i usually have two suitcases on long vacations like and one suticase on 4 or 5 day stays ... i cant seem to bring a carry on only except for a my 2 night trip 2 weeks ago...my condoms and underwear alone fill up the average carry on!

RickRock
08-18-2004, 08:26 PM
if you havnt noticed you can load moto's down .. my last trip i had a huge duffle bag with me lol..

continentalmike
08-19-2004, 02:34 AM
keep your clothes nice and clean in the duffle bag (if I'm not mistaken that is like this army surplus bags with a snap on the top right) or do you have someone iron them for you?

If the last option (and this is more of a general question) what exp do you have with the locals 'lavar e planchar tu ropa'

BrooklynBeas
08-19-2004, 11:00 AM
i only had my laundry done once in the DR and that was when i stayed at the Blue Dolphin... the outcome was terrible... they were dirtier when i got them back... i had to bring them home and wash them again.

RickRock
08-19-2004, 07:00 PM
LOL! My girl always does my laundry and its all good.. everytime..

Don Tomas
08-19-2004, 07:20 PM
I have had good luck with the maid at the Palace, my clothes came back perfect.

Jimmydr
08-19-2004, 09:49 PM
I use the laundry place near Europa and never had a problem.

nomad
08-20-2004, 08:20 PM
My wife washes my clothes by hand. Just recently bought a washer. In Sosua try the place behind Yuby's. They do a decent job. The Blue Dolphin had dirty water when you where there Beas. You guys used all the water for your 5 showers a day and they had to import some. When you have to import the water a truck comes by that is filled up with river water. You guys drained the cistern (filled with city water). The river water is dirtier. Not sure why as they both come from the same place.

Nomad

Jimmydr
08-21-2004, 08:43 AM
In Sosua try the place behind Yuby's. They do a decent job.

Nomad

First thats what I said and second, Yubys is out of business. :(

BrooklynBeas
08-23-2004, 01:14 PM
uhm... whats Yuby's? and Where?

jd_mine
08-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Yuby is the girl who had the little yellow restaurant named after her (Yubys). It's close to the Europa. I never understood how she stayed in business cos she never ever had any clients. Last time I was there the place was closed. She was bartending in the Hali Gali bar then.

nomad
08-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Continental Mike for your "Younger Fellow Mongers", Where is El CAMPO and EL PUEBLO? Are they near PP, and Sosua?

SugarBear

Don Tomas
08-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Continental Mike for your "Younger Fellow Mongers", Where is El CAMPO and EL PUEBLO? Are they near PP, and Sosua?

SugarBear

Translations
El Campo = The Countryside
El Pueblo = The Town (any town)

We were talking generally about small towns vs. the countryside with one or two "houses"

continentalmike
08-24-2004, 12:48 AM
I started this topic because often imo you can find a more genuine experience outside the touristy areas, if you speak Spanish and if you are willing to adapt to local Domenican standards and behaviour.

Sometimes it gets tiresome to discuss Dr$500 with a puta and have her give lousy service.. but iti is convenient to have them around for a ST with no strings attached.

nomad
08-24-2004, 04:29 AM

SugarBear

Translations
El Campo = The Countryside
El Pueblo = The Town (any town)

We were talking generally about small towns vs. the countryside with one or two "houses"

Gracias por todo.Como una persona que habla,lee,y entiende todo,solamente noestaba seguro si era un lugar especificamente o general. Gracias compadre. :o

continentalmike
09-09-2004, 06:20 AM
no hay problemo asere