PDA

View Full Version : The Waterfront

cuddler
02-05-2008, 07:10 PM
I'd like to put in a plug for the Waterfront. Tel. 809-5712670

Strong points:
1. The situation. If you're not so preoccupied with mongering that all your other senses are dead, nothing can beat the daily pleasure of entering and leaving the place, with its quiet, leafy atmosphere and its magnificent view of the beach and across the bay to Puerto Plata.
2. Virtually your own private beach, Playa Alicia. Socially dead (no unaccompanied Dominicanos allowed!) but as a beach it's great.
3. Excellent pool, about 19 meters long, not too many chemicals. I always start the day with a long swim in the sea if it's not too rough, otherwise in the pool.
4. Very helpful and fun English speaking receptionist called Erica, whom my Spanish teacher mistook for a model. In fact she's a good Christian (=evangelical) girl and neither drinks nor dances, so don't try your luck there.
3. Chica friendly enough. I enquired carefully, and was told that the policy is that guests have to be presented at reception. However since that closes at 6, she gave me a note to the watchmen saying I would report any guests myself. It worked. There are a few likely mongers among the other guests, and I often see groups of older men chatting at the bar, but there are also many ordinary tourists. Not the place for pool parties with multiple chicas.
4 Reasonable prices. About $45 incl. taxes, but $9 extra for a guest (or just book a double room for $50, they're the same rooms) and $5 extra for a/c (which you don't need at this time of year anyway). The safe key is another $2 or so. Actually I got a better deal because she forgot to mention the taxes, and was decent enough to stick to her quote, against the opposition of her manager, but don't count on it.
5 Very decent rooms, spacious and superclean, with hot water. My room - a detached bungalow - was also very shady (no sea view). The cleaning staff of 3 are super ladies by the way, fun to try out ones Spanish on.
6 Within walking distance of Classicos. About 5 minutes, though ErikS could doubtless do it in 2.
7 No television, so the chicas can't watch it instead of attending to you.
8. My reservation was taken over the phone, no deposit, and it was honoured even though they were full and I arrived late at night. BE WARNED though that the restaurant may close at 11, and after that you won't be able to get in.
9. The situation

Negatives:
1. All the other staff I met were snooty. The restaurant personnel took a definite dislike to me, I suppose because I never used it, and they wouldn't even return greetings. When I did order something today, I went right up to the bar and asked loudly for la cuenta, and not one of the 3 looked up from their newspapers. The owner is apparently a foreigner but he is never in evidence.
2. Emails to the hotel do not get through.
3. The restaurant was too expensive for me. A pity, as it's in a wonderful situation. I did though once have a really good breakfast there for about 160.

Beads
02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Thats my breakfast spot if im awake. Best breakfast I have found in Sosua.

Yes the restaurant staff can be hit or miss and they expect you to be wearing a shirt to sit down. Friend of mine got yelled at for no shirt and created an issue once but they seemed to get over it.

Didnt know we could smuggle chicas in if we were nice! Definitely good to know. They should get televisions for the rooms though.

Thanks for the info!

the_Jayman
02-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Sounds like a Perfect spot for Me, Drunko and the fellas . . . We'll just bring our own TV's ! !

did ya ask if it was OK to have naked Twister Parties by the pool about midnight or so ? ? ?

Downtown
02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I'd like to put in a plug for the Waterfront. Tel. 809-5712670

Strong points:
1. The situation. If you're not so preoccupied with mongering that all your other senses are dead, nothing can beat the daily pleasure of entering and leaving the place, with its quiet, leafy atmosphere and its magnificent view of the beach and across the bay to Puerto Plata.
2. Virtually your own private beach, Playa Alicia. Socially dead (no unaccompanied Dominicanos allowed!) but as a beach it's great.
3. Excellent pool, about 19 meters long, not too many chemicals. I always start the day with a long swim in the sea if it's not too rough, otherwise in the pool.
4. Very helpful and fun English speaking receptionist called Erica, whom my Spanish teacher mistook for a model. In fact she's a good Christian (=evangelical) girl and neither drinks nor dances, so don't try your luck there.
3. Chica friendly enough. I enquired carefully, and was told that the policy is that guests have to be presented at reception. However since that closes at 6, she gave me a note to the watchmen saying I would report any guests myself. It worked. There are a few likely mongers among the other guests, and I often see groups of older men chatting at the bar, but there are also many ordinary tourists. Not the place for pool parties with multiple chicas.
4 Reasonable prices. About $45 incl. taxes, but $9 extra for a guest (or just book a double room for $50, they're the same rooms) and $5 extra for a/c (which you don't need at this time of year anyway). The safe key is another $2 or so. Actually I got a better deal because she forgot to mention the taxes, and was decent enough to stick to her quote, against the opposition of her manager, but don't count on it.
5 Very decent rooms, spacious and superclean, with hot water. My room - a detached bungalow - was also very shady (no sea view). The cleaning staff of 3 are super ladies by the way, fun to try out ones Spanish on.
6 Within walking distance of Classicos. About 5 minutes, though ErikS could doubtless do it in 2.
7 No television, so the chicas can't watch it instead of attending to you.
8. My reservation was taken over the phone, no deposit, and it was honoured even though they were full and I arrived late at night. BE WARNED though that the restaurant may close at 11, and after that you won't be able to get in.
9. The situation

Negatives:
1. All the other staff I met were snooty. The restaurant personnel took a definite dislike to me, I suppose because I never used it, and they wouldn't even return greetings. When I did order something today, I went right up to the bar and asked loudly for la cuenta, and not one of the 3 looked up from their newspapers. The owner is apparently a foreigner but he is never in evidence.
2. Emails to the hotel do not get through.
3. The restaurant was too expensive for me. A pity, as it's in a wonderful situation. I did though once have a really good breakfast there for about 160.

Nice overview! You have certainly debunked some previous reports and it seems to be a reasonable accommodation venue or at least a decent fall back position. Informative and concise!

ErikS
02-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Picture taken while having breakfast with Cuddler last week at the Waterfront.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/ErikS_/1-Jan%202008/IMGP1402.jpg

TPdog
02-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Do they have refrigerators

weyland
02-06-2008, 04:46 AM
No TVs. No A/C as standard. Snooty restaurant staff. Dress code for restaurant. Room safes. All the things I look for in a hotel. Sounds perfect for me. I am surprised how reasonably priced it is. But as TPdog implies, refrigerators are a must. Do the rooms have tubs or only showers?

Beads, I am guessing your friend who tried to enter the restaurant without a shirt is the same one who wanted to humiliate the wooden statue seller, because you are too nice a guy to have two friends of that type?

cuddler
02-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Firstly I am ashamed to say I didn't mention that my one and only, and excellent, meal there with Erik and Lou was in fact paid for by Erik (yes, I know I'm cheap, but I did offer).
OK, missing information: The rooms have a/c. I just agreed with Erica that I wouldn't use it, and she accepted that and doesn't charge me.
TV - maybe some of the other rooms have it. I didn't ask, as I would much rather not have it.
Fridges - yes indeed! I am the type that likes to set up home and do a lot of eating in my own place, and no problems about that. As my usual immersion heater won't work on this half-arsed 110 volts you have over here, I bought the only water boiler I could find, an espresso coffee maker (I'm a tea freak, being English). The fridge is primitive and generates about 5 liters of water a day, but it works. It's supposed to be paid for too (it's an "everything costs extra" kind of place), but she gave it to me for free.
By the way, MUY IMPORTANTE, as you will have gathered, everything depends on dealing with Erica, who is not there on Saturdays. Her manager is another story altogether. She even found me a Spanish teacher, but not before I'd found my own.
The word from el professor (my teacher) is that the waiters' disdain of me is about the lack of propinas, and that I have to learn to distribute them a bit more freely to get on in this country. Lesson learnt.
Bathroom - a fine shower, allowing for the usual 3rd world idiosyncraces (e.g. no logic in which way you turn a tap). The hot water couldn't be turned off properly, but they sent a man quickly. Of course he had to come again next day, but, again, it was done promptly.

weyland
02-06-2008, 01:45 PM
my one and only, and excellent, meal there with ErikS and Lou was in fact paid for by ErikS ...

... my usual immersion heater won't work on this half-arsed 110 volts you have over here ....

I should think you should have been buying ErikS meals, the way he looked after you. But don't worry, I am ErikS' deputy when he is in the "other place" so your buying me a meal will count as returning the favour to ErikS. He will be truly grateful.

It is no good writing "arsed" as in "half-arsed" or "I can't be arsed to do it". Americans don't understand such beautiful vocabulary. Most of them didn't even attend boys-only schools.

Beads
02-06-2008, 02:14 PM
No TVs. No A/C as standard. Snooty restaurant staff. Dress code for restaurant. Room safes. All the things I look for in a hotel. Sounds perfect for me. I am surprised how reasonably priced it is. But as TPdog implies, refrigerators are a must. Do the rooms have tubs or only showers?

Beads, I am guessing your friend who tried to enter the restaurant without a shirt is the same one who wanted to humiliate the wooden statue seller, because you are too nice a guy to have two friends of that type?

Different guy weyland. Some of my friends do get out of hand at times after heavy drinking. Shit happens when you drink.

cuddler
02-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Now who's being cheap, Weyland, trying to get free meals on the strength of Erik's generosity?? And have you ever tried out-Erikking Erik when he's in his magnanimous host mood (which is just about all the time)?
IMLE Americans talk about arses even more than English public shcoolboys.

weyland
02-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Now who's being cheap, Weyland, trying to get free meals on the strength of Erik's generosity?? And have you ever tried out-Erikking Erik when he's in his magnanimous host mood (which is just about all the time)?
I wasn't being cheap. I am a spiritual person. I do not need comforts of the flesh. I have trained myself to go without food for days. I was merely offering you a way to repay a debt of honour.

Americans talk about arses even more than English public schoolboys.
Maybe, but they spell it like another word for "donkey". Our English arses are more rotund. The pronunciation is so much richer and more satisfying with a rolling "r" in your arse.

moshy2k
02-06-2008, 06:16 PM
IMLE Americans talk about arses even more than English public shcoolboys.

I hear you Cuddler. Out Erikking Eriks is a MAJOR task. Tpdog and I had to launch a covert mission to treat Eriks and his date to dinner when we had that great dinner on the beach in Cabarete. We have been trying to do somethng nice for that bastard for two trips and he keeps fucking it up by out Erikking us. WE SHOWED HIM LOL.

JuanElGriego
02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Ahhhhhhh the Waterfront.

Stayed there for a lil' bit on my first trip ever and had an interesting experience one night with a guy crying out for help cuz he'd been chased into the Waterfront by a couple guys looking to rob him.

Wrote about it in my first ever trip report ....

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showpost.php?p=92081&postcount=34

JuanElGriego
02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
WOW!!! I just reread my first trip report from like 3 years ago and i was such a NEWBIE!!!!!

In my defense, i hadn't found ISOC til after that trip so all things considered i did ok. :D

ErikS
02-06-2008, 09:32 PM
I hear you Cuddler. Out Erikking Eriks is a MAJOR task. Tpdog and I had to launch a covert mission to treat Eriks and his date to dinner when we had that great dinner on the beach in Cabarete. We have been trying to do somethng nice for that bastard for two trips and he keeps fucking it up by out Erikking us. WE SHOWED HIM LOL.

Y mucho gracias mi amigos. Es muy amable de ti.

And to shown my appreciation once more, this Friday night in NYC, dinners on ..................................................

...................Hempstead! ;)

Hemp
02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Yo no Hablo ingles or espanol :confused:

And to shown my appreciation once more, this Friday night in NYC, dinners on ..................................................

TPdog
02-06-2008, 09:38 PM
If dinner is on Hempstead, I will have a bite to eat on the airplane....lol

jd_mine
02-07-2008, 07:19 AM

Yup, it is very hard to spend a dollar when in the presence of ErikS!!!!!

cuddler
02-08-2008, 07:22 AM
REgarding shirts, I've just noticed a sign at the entrance which says No Pets, Shirts Required, Shoes required. Which probably explains the waiters' disdain of me, since I regularly walk through the restaurant barefoot on my way to the beach every morning, and generally walk around a lot without shoes. No one has challenged me on this.

TPdog
02-08-2008, 07:27 AM
You are just a beast of a man that no one wants to challenge....:mrgreen:
I'll be there tomorrow.......:lol:

REgarding shirts, I've just noticed a sign at the entrance which says No Pets, Shirts Required, Shoes required. Which probably explains the waiters' disdain of me, since I regularly walk through the restaurant barefoot on my way to the beach every morning, and generally walk around a lot without shoes. No one has challenged me on this.

weyland
02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Which probably explains the waiters' disdain of me, since I regularly walk through the restaurant barefoot on my way to the beach every morning, and generally walk around a lot without shoes.
And will also explain my disdain of you when we meet. I was thinking of staying at the Waterfront based on your description but I don't want to catch your verrucas. Good God, man, you're English! Pull yourself together and stop behaving like an American!

cuddler
02-08-2008, 03:45 PM
My God Weyland, if you're going to turn up in suit and tie I don't think I want to know you after all. Barefoot is the healthiest way to go by far. Looks like you need a touch of getting out of cyberspace and reconnecting yourself with mother earth. Do you even swim?
I have though now relented to the point of carrying my beach shoes in my hand and putting them on when I cross the public area or the restaurant. Too late to restore my reputation this time round though I'm afraid.
By the way, to answer a question I asked about TV's. None of the rooms have them.

Bug Boy
02-08-2008, 04:15 PM
My God Weyland, if you're going to turn up in suit and tie I don't think I want to know you after all. Barefoot is the healthiest way to go by far. Looks like you need a touch of getting out of cyberspace and reconnecting yourself with mother earth. Do you even swim?
I have though now relented to the point of carrying my beach shoes in my hand and putting them on when I cross the public area or the restaurant. Too late to restore my reputation this time round though I'm afraid.
By the way, to answer a question I asked about TV's. None of the rooms have them.

This could be an added bonus. What are the chicas to do without TV.:D :D