PDA

View Full Version : What is the cheapest way to phone to DR from Canada?

Apos
08-21-2004, 10:32 AM
What is the best way, considering cost, to call the DR from Canada or the USA?

I imagine it is a calling card but I'm not sure. If so what is best and where in the TORONTO area carries them?

Thanks

Jimmydr
08-22-2004, 09:33 AM
My 800 tele service is out of Canada and I pay 15 cents a minute. I have the number at home at the moment.

Apos
08-22-2004, 10:16 AM
I found some interesting stuff on DR1 http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31178&highlight=cheap+phone+Canada

DR1 is usually a good spot for this type of question.

See ya at Xmas.

UnMEnXTC
08-24-2004, 11:33 AM
I found phone cards the cheapest, depending if u r calling a land line phone or a cell phone (call cell phones is more). I think the going rate on the card I used was about 4c / min to a land phone!

BrooklynBeas
08-24-2004, 01:28 PM
The cheapest way for me is to use my work phone... i dont pay shit... but if you are not lucky enough to work for a billion dollar company that doesnt care about crazy phone bills you might wanna try a calling card called INC... it gives 59 minutes ($2 calling card) to a house phone from NYC to DR... about half that time to call a cell phone... sorry i dont know about Canada.

Don Tomas
08-24-2004, 02:59 PM
The cheapest way for me is to use my work phone... i dont pay shit... but if you are not lucky enough to work for a billion dollar company that doesnt care about crazy phone bills you might wanna try a calling card called INC... it gives 59 minutes ($2 calling card) to a house phone from NYC to DR... about half that time to call a cell phone... sorry i dont know about Canada.

Haha about a year before I "discovered" the DR we put in a block for the 809 area code at corporate due to the long distance scams ran from the DR. :cry: I remember searching the internet for a DR phone number so I could test it, now I have 50+ numbers...

Of course the plant has an old phone system and the block isn't on the system there. :shock:

BrooklynBeas
08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
ur a nerd... haha just playin... yeah my company doesnt care about phone bills but i dont abuse it ... i only use it to call Palace John when i wanna book a room... i think i called a girl once but that ended after that one call when she told me she was sick and needed medicina dinero...

Apos
11-04-2006, 03:23 PM
any recent recommendations for online calling cards?

i have been using http://www.phonecards2call.com and the continental card but am having serious connection issues and cannot seem to connect to an 829 area code:confused:

suggestions?

MisterPink
11-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Set up a SkypeIn number on your novia's computer so she has a Canadian number and it will cost you about $44 CAD a year.

Apos
11-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Set up a SkypeIn number on your novia's computer so she has a Canadian number and it will cost you about $44 CAD a year.
good plan but i need to call cellphones mostly :(

can we call both directions por nada that way?

MisterPink
11-04-2006, 03:47 PM
If she has a SkypeIn with your Canadian area code, you can talk in both directions for FREE PLUS a small annual or 3 month subscription fee.

The Dominican Telephone mafia for some reason will not permit Skype to have 809 or 829 area codes.

It is much cheaper to call a land line vs Cell, as you know using a card from Canada. (About 1/2)

Apos
11-04-2006, 03:51 PM
If she has a SkypeIn with your Canadian area code, you can talk in both directions for FREE PLUS a small annual or 3 month subscription fee.

The Dominican Telephone mafia for some reason will not permit Skype to have 809 or 829 area codes.

It is much cheaper to call a land line vs Cell, as you know using a card from Canada. (About 1/2)
much cheaper to call a landline but it's cell only at her work unfortunately and she has dailup so no landline calls when on cam :(

i don't really mind the cost but get thru with a decent connection less than 50% of the time:confused:

i really need a good and affordable calling card