PDA

View Full Version : FYI- AMET's

yayow
02-11-2008, 02:36 PM
The Amets were out in force the last couple of days in Sosua, so be careful where you park and where you drive. This is because of the new one way streets. For those that don't know the traffic patterns in Sosua have changed drastically. Ie. the street to clasicos is now one way in the other direction and there is no more diagonal parking. The first week that it changed they were giving warnings, when they observed someone going down the wrong way. However that has changed, at least during the day. Today they had the amets out in front of seacrets and any moto that was travelling the wrong way on the road was stopped and the moto was confiscated. Two days previously they were towing cars parked on the wrong side of the street right in front of Rocky's and the new Pedro McMurphy's. As you go down the one way street from Pedro Clisante it is alright to park on the left but not on the right. A friend who got towed had to go to the police station and pay 500 pesos to get his car back. I haven't noticed this activity at night so it is probably only for specific time periods. I also noticed a gov't official taking photos so it may just be temporary, but be careful. Other than that all is well take care.

Inconego
02-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Fuck Sosua, that's one of the reasons i'm down on the area... It's like so much shit is coming there to bleed the tourists dry...

...I felt that last time I was there, when I return to DR, i'm spending no more than a day there, if i go back...

...It's just irritating to watch...

Hemp
02-11-2008, 03:28 PM
moshy2k had informed me of this debacle going on there???

thx for the info...good to know going forward!

MisterPink
02-11-2008, 03:44 PM
They impounded and flatbeded about 15-20 motoconchos today right in front of Sea-Crets, the icing on the cake was they took out the tail light of a parked car on the way out looked, stopped and fled.

They are heavily enforcing the one way traffic. It is not exactly clearly marked if you are a new driver.

The Coyote Pack is in with AMET if you get in trouble.

Rubicon
02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Arriving in another 10 days, I'm trying to fully understand what is being said here. If I take a left onto Dr Rosen off of the main highway, I come to Pedro Clisante. I know that taking a left onto Pedro Clisante is one way. Is this still the case? If I take a right onto Pedro Clisante (going towards Lou's) is that now a one way heading towards, Europa, or a one way heading back towards Classicos?

eldorob
02-11-2008, 05:30 PM
If I take a left onto Dr Rosen off of the main highway, I come to Pedro Clisante. I know that taking a left onto Pedro Clisante is one way. Is this still the case? If I take a right onto Pedro Clisante (going towards Lou's) is that now a one way heading towards, Europa, or a one way heading back towards Classicos?

In answer to the above highlited in yellow...Yes, it started when I was there Mid-January. But they weren't enforcing it then, they had just made the changes (painted arrows and signs) and you would see the police and everybody else going the wrong way.

So Pedro Clisante goes One-Way two different directions as you come to Harrisons, one-way left towards the beach or one-way right past Seacrits...

Sounds like they made it official.

Rubicon
02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Thank you. I had heard it once before, but I was more confused after I had had it explained then than now. Again, thanks.

Downtown
02-11-2008, 06:50 PM
The Amets were out in force the last couple of days in Sosua, so be careful where you park and where you drive. This is because of the new one way streets. For those that don't know the traffic patterns in Sosua have changed drastically. Ie. the street to clasicos is now one way in the other direction and there is no more diagonal parking. The first week that it changed they were giving warnings, when they observed someone going down the wrong way. However that has changed, at least during the day. Today they had the amets out in front of seacrets and any moto that was travelling the wrong way on the road was stopped and the moto was confiscated. Two days previously they were towing cars parked on the wrong side of the street right in front of Rocky's and the new Pedro McMurphy's. As you go down the one way street from Pedro Clisante it is alright to park on the left but not on the right. A friend who got towed had to go to the police station and pay 500 pesos to get his car back. I haven't noticed this activity at night so it is probably only for specific time periods. I also noticed a gov't official taking photos so it may just be temporary, but be careful. Other than that all is well take care.

In answer to the above highlited in yellow...Yes, it started when I was there Mid-January. But they weren't enforcing it then, they had just made the changes (painted arrows and signs) and you would see the police and everybody else going the wrong way.

So Pedro Clisante goes One-Way two different directions as you come to Harrisons, one-way left towards the beach or one-way right past Seacrits...

Sounds like they made it official.

Thanks for the explanation, but I am still a little confused (see the bold text above). I am going to assume that Pedro Clisante is still one way in the same direction as it was, westward (i.e. one way from Harrison's to the beach). The only change is no more diagonal parking. Correct? Pedro Clisante is now one way eastward from Harrison's. Correct? Since I drive a rental when there, I have a couple more questions (for clarification purposes, I hope!):

1. How far eastward is Pedro Clisante one way from Harrison's? (e.g. as far as Passion's)? In other words, is it one way all the way to the old High Caribbean disco or does it change to two way street at some other point?

2. Is Dr Rosen now one way from the highway to Pedro Clisante, like the rest of the street? (It was two way in this section). I ask because given the new set up, it would be impossible to drive south on Dr Rosen from Harrison's because Pedro Clisante is one way in opposing directions from the intersection of Dr Rosen and Pedro Clisante.

I find it hard to believe that AMET will keep up the new one way enforcement on Pedro Clisante for 2 reasons:

1. They are rarely out at night as they generally work banker's hours.

2. They historically have never enforced one way directional travel on any other streets in Sosua. A classic example is Dr Rosen. Motoconchos are always going the wrong way on it!

eldorob
02-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the explanation, but I am still a little confused (see the bold text above). I am going to assume that Pedro Clisante is still one way in the same direction as it was, westward (i.e. one way from Harrison's to the beach). The only change is no more diagonal parking. Correct? !): That was my take on Yayows post, but not clear on that... That didn't change while I was there.

1. How far eastward is Pedro Clisante one way from Harrison's? (e.g. as far as Passion's)? In other words, is it one way all the way to the old High Caribbean disco or does it change to two way street at some other point?
No, it doesn't go all the way. I think it's about two or three blocks. Then changes back to two-way. They have signs up as your entering the ONe-Way area.

2. Is Dr Rosen now one way from the highway to Pedro Clisante, like the rest of the street? (It was two way in this section). I ask because given the new set up, it would be impossible to drive south on Dr Rosen from Harrison's because Pedro Clisante is one way in opposing directions from the intersection of Dr Rosen and Pedro Clisante.
That's a good question. Someone else will have to answer that. I don't think it had changed while i was there. But it would be funny if they left it two-way!! And it would probably still get used!

They historically have never enforced one way directional travel on any other streets in Sosua. A classic example is Dr Rosen. Motoconchos are always going the wrong way on it!
Including myself. I've even done it in a car. I try to blend that way. :eek:

MisterPink
02-12-2008, 12:38 AM
According to a knowledgeable Ex-pat, Pedro Clisante is offically one way heading East, the entire length..... and Alejo Martinez is one way heading West. Any deviation of this traffic pattern is subject to a ticket.

Keep in mind I saw cars/motos going in both directions after dark.
Gotta love the DR. I also saw a Jimmydr look alike with a sweater vest and slide rule talking to a pretty chica.

yayow
02-12-2008, 09:11 AM
It is complicated and extremely stupid the way they have it set up. From PJ's - Pedro Clisante goes one way east past Lou's and Seacret's. The opposite direction that it went before past Clasicos. That continues until you get to the Banca Reserva from that point east it changes back to a two way street.

At the intersection where the Banca Reserva is at Pedro clisante (sorry don't know the name of that street) goes one way north till you get to Dr. Al Martinez. When you get to Dr. Al Martinez it goes one way west back towards the beach. They are now forcing you to basically do a loop around the town.

I hope this clears it up a little.

ChicaSeeka
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
And Don't screw up cause the inside of the AMET police substation is no fun, I have been there:eek:

Downtown
02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
And Don't screw up cause the inside of the AMET police substation is no fun, I have been there:eek:

Me too! It's up in the hills on the south side of town. On my last visit, there were a half dozen tourists pleading their cases to the AMET chief account they/he would not let them take their cars until the fines were paid. I was fortunate enough to have a junior cop help plead my case and got to drive mine away, but I had to surrender my license. I said to the chief. "Isn't it illegal to drive without a license in the DR?" He said, "If you get stopped by another cop, just show him your ticket; he'll know whose got your license!" Go figure!! I got my license back the next day after showing the receipt from the fine payment. (These guys are as corrupt as they come. I got a 760 peso ticket for making a left on a red. No fucking way!)

ChicaSeeka
02-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Me too! It's up in the hills on the south side of town. On my last visit, there were a half dozen tourists pleading their cases to the AMET chief account they/he would not let them take their cars until the fines were paid. I was fortunate enough to have a junior cop help plead my case and got to drive mine away, but I had to surrender my license. I said to the chief. "Isn't it illegal to drive without a license in the DR?" He said, "If you get stopped by another cop, just show him your ticket; he'll know whose got your license!" Go figure!! I got my license back the next day after showing the receipt from the fine payment. (These guys are as corrupt as they come. I got a 760 peso ticket for making a left on a red. No fucking way!)

Would that left be at the light coming out onto the main highway by the supermarket ?
That's where they got me and I had no ID on me, hence the extended stay in the substation up the hill.
Thank god I dropped some names and , the Comandante told me that if I could get one of those guys to come up and vouch for me, it would be in my best interestas i was looking at an overnight accomadation . luckily a great friend came up and said a few words for me.

I did get a lot of laughs from the locals as my wingman Attorney took my picture on the wall in front of the jail with the AMET sign in the backround...

No fine No pesos, they just told me to leave... Now the Amet and me always wave to each other as we pass on the roads..

Downtown
02-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Would that left be at the light coming out onto the main highway by the supermarket ?
That's where they got me and I had no ID on me, hence the extended stay in the substation up the hill.
Thank god I dropped some names and , the Comandante told me that if I could get one of those guys to come up and vouch for me, it would be in my best interestas i was looking at an overnight accomadation . luckily a great friend came up and said a few words for me.

I did get a lot of laughs from the locals as my wingman Attorney took my picture on the wall in front of the jail with the AMET sign in the backround...

No fine No pesos, they just told me to leave... Now the Amet and me always wave to each other as we pass on the roads..

CS,

The road to the AMET local constabulary is the one that heads south from the highway (Av Gregorio Luperon), with the Nacionale police station on the SW corner. On the attached, the road is depicted as a white line from the centre to the bottom of the map (but it's not quite to scale).

ChicaSeeka
02-13-2008, 10:47 AM
:D
CS,

The road to the AMET local constabulary is the one that heads south from the highway (Av Gregorio Luperon), with the Nacionale police station on the SW corner. On the attached, the road is depicted as a white line from the centre to the bottom of the map (but it's not quite to scale).

exactly where they got me too:D