PDA

View Full Version : Bautista breaks silence

NewsWhore
02-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Presidency Public Works Supervisor Felix Bautista has broken his silence on the Sun Land borrowing scandal. As reported in Hoy, he says that although the Sun Land case has been declared closed by the government, he would sue all his detractors for defamation. President Leonel Fernandez granted Bautista power of attorney to sign the controversial Sun Land deal for US$130 million. The borrowing was unknown to the general public until the opposition party PRD went public claiming the borrowing violated the Constitution because it was not previously sent to Congress. The PRD would later take the case to the Supreme Court of Justice on grounds that congressional approval was not previously received. The Supreme Court has not issued an opinion.
Bautista also said that he would make available a Chamber of Accounts audit that will detail what happened with the US$130 million Sun Land loan.
Bautista argued that all criticism of the deal is politically motivated. "This is evidently political in nature: the opposition wants to take advantage of this and since the IMF has given its opinion, from my point of view, the case is closed, just as President Leonel Fernandez indicated during his visit to La Altagracia province."
Bautista continued by saying that there is intent to defame him and President Fernandez. "We will see each other in court. Everyone who has tried to make the public believe that the money was lost, that it wasn't invested in the UASD, all who have defamed me, will have to join me in court," he warned.
Bautista also denied claims that the government had provided the IMF with incomplete information about the Sun Land loans.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#7)