PDA

View Full Version : Wedding scam

Atlas
02-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Touristias ripped off.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/02/16/dominican-wedding.html#skip300x250

PapiQueRico
02-17-2008, 06:20 PM
See how fortunate those guys are. They got to see what it was like to be married to their gals and now are legaly single and can make the decision with better information!

SJG
02-17-2008, 06:52 PM
That's called dodging a bullet....

Citynights
02-21-2008, 12:46 AM
It will not matter .....:( they have lived together for more than 6 months ....up in canada its called common law same as being married they get half of everything ...:eek:

greydread
02-21-2008, 04:24 PM
It will not matter .....:( they have lived together for more than 6 months ....up in canada its called common law same as being married they get half of everything ...:eek:
...and many States too (6 mo.-2 years). It's 60 days in the District of Colombia. A bitch can acquire a rack of credit cards in her name, charge to the moon and run back to DR leaving you with the bills. It goes on your credit report and you're legally liable to repay in community property States. Meanwhile she's driving around the DR in the car she charged to your platinum card.:eek:

Let the buyer beware.

ErikS
02-21-2008, 04:58 PM
From reading the article, I didn't get the impression that Dominicans were involved as either the brides or grooms. It sounded more like "John Jones" and "Mary Smith" from the USA/Canada/Britian got engaged and then decided to hold the wedding in the DR at one of the AI's.

The fraud took place when the local DR wedding planner pocketed the US$400+ wedding "tax" and never filed the wedding certificates with the DR government. :icontd:

greydread
02-21-2008, 05:02 PM
From reading the article, I didn't get the impression that Dominicans were involved as either the brides or grooms. It sounded more like "John Jones" and "Mary Smith" from the USA/Canada/Britian got engaged and then decided to hold the wedding in the DR at one of the AI's.

The fraud took place when the local DR wedding planner pocketed the US$400+ wedding "tax" and never filed the wedding certificates with the DR government. :icontd:
I'll bet none of the grooms complained.:lol:

Hemp
02-21-2008, 06:00 PM
why didnt they just hold the ceremony where there from? and file the paper work there as well?

strange...why would one file paperwork in a place thats not your home country :confused:

i recently had to talk a friend of filing one of those quickie divorce procedures in the caribb. i told them to just go through the emotions right here in the U S OF A.

ErikS
02-24-2008, 07:55 AM
And apparently, they will all be able to live happily ever after! :rolleyes:

Fake marriages will be real
The Central Electoral Board (JCE) has announced that the fake marriages that were performed in Punta Cana, Bavaro and Higuey would be legalized. This statement was made by Administrative Chamber President Roberto Rosario and JCE head Julio Cesar Castanos Guzman. Rosario said that around 200 marriages were performed by unqualified personnel who had pocketed the fees, but the JCE will legalize the corresponding certificates and send them to the affected couples. Speaking in the Diario Libre, Rosario said that these couples had been duped and victimized through no fault of their own. He added that the JCE is working together with the Tourism Ministry to fix the problem.