PDA

View Full Version : Half price taxi between Sosua and POP airport

cuddler
02-22-2008, 05:37 AM
As ever veteran knows, the official taxi fare of USD 20 for the 5 or 10 minute ride from POP airport to Sosua must be one of the most expensive taxi rides per Km in the world.
Following detailed instructions from an oldtimer (Thank you Erik!) I found it was easy to do the trip for half that or possibly a lot less.
In Sosua I went up to the Texaco station, from where the publicos line up in the direction of Puerto Plata (Sign on roof says:Sosua Puerto Plata). That is, they're going right, seen from the town. I did this a few hours in advance, spoke to a driver, and said I wanted a publico for me alone (solo para mi) at eight o'clock to go to the airport. No problem. He quoted 300 pesos (about $9) which I accepted. I tried to get him to fetch me from the Waterfront, but he looked doubtful and said he didn't know it, so I said OK I'd come to his stand.
I turned up at about 10 minutes early to give me 10 minutes for a fond farewell clinch with my GFE, but the driver came running up with a big smile and said he'd been checking regularly since 7 to see whether I'd arrived. (Such eagerness probably means you could probably get a rather lower price if you're into saving the last dollar).
I was driven right up to the check-in point and had my bags carried, just like with a regular taxi. He said I should call him when I arrived back. He's called Ivan and his number is 809-6107047.
Adding the night-time motoconcho fare for two of us it actually came to 400, but I imagine with a little explanation you could easily get him to fetch you from your hotel (and certainly to deliver you there when you arrive).
And incidentally I arrived so early (my flight was at 10.50) that they had to wake up somebody to man the X-ray machine, and there was nobody at the departure tax office yet, so they let me out without paying the $20.

Jimmydr
02-22-2008, 07:27 AM
You walk to the Texaco, jump in a public taxi, pay 30 pesos and off you go. You then ask the guy to drop you in the airport for maybe another 30 pesos.

I was paying about $1.50 last year I think.

cuddler
02-22-2008, 08:28 AM
You walk to the Texaco, jump in a public taxi, pay 30 pesos and off you go. You then ask the guy to drop you in the airport for maybe another 30 pesos.

I was paying about $1.50 last year I think.

Well, you live and learn! Will they squeeze your luggage into the publico too?
And how do you do it the other way?

Jimmydr
02-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Well, you live and learn! Will they squeeze your luggage into the publico too?
And how do you do it the other way?

I usually pay for 2 seats and sit in the front. They will put it in the trunk. When you land, just walk out to the main road.

ErikS
02-22-2008, 04:22 PM
..........In Sosua I went up to the Texaco station, from where the publicos line up in the direction of Puerto Plata (Sign on roof says:Sosua Puerto Plata). That is, they're going right, seen from the town. I did this a few hours in advance, spoke to a driver, and said I wanted a publico for me alone (solo para mi) at eight o'clock to go to the airport. No problem. He quoted 300 pesos (about $9) which I accepted..........

I've done the same thing going the opposite way also. That is I hired one of the publicos to take me to Cabarete several times. He said 300 pesos, I said 200, and we settled on 250, but that included him going off the main highway to pick up a chica I was taking there.

But JDR is right, to travel real cheaply, just hop in one of the publicos and pay the regular fare. I think it is 35 pesos now during the day, and maybe 40 at night.

Even cheaper are the "Gua-Gua" vans. I took one to Weylands birthday party at Field of Dreams last year for 10 pesos (of course I was the 22nd person squeezed into the van!) ;)

MisterPink
02-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I paid RD250 from la Bomba in Sosua to Puerto Plata yesterday, just be firm about the price. A publico has six seats, en la dia esta solamente 6 por 35 = 210.

mp