Thread: new highway

Thanks
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 566 Posts

new highway

Is the new highway open going from Santo Domingo to Samana? I am flying into Santo Domingo and probably driving to Sosua later in October. This highway is in between the SD airport and Santo Domingo and keeps you away from going through Santo Domingo and straight north. What is the fee???
    Thanks,
    TP

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TPdog For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 355 Posts

Re: new highway

I believe that it is open as I was offered a taxi ride to Samana and ultimately to Sosua, from Boca Chica, in August.

The driver claimed he could make it to Samana in >2 hours and then apx. 1 to Sosua.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juggles For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juggle View Post
    I believe that it is open as I was offered a taxi ride to Samana and ultimately to Sosua, from Boca Chica, in August.

The driver claimed he could make it to Samana in >2 hours and then apx. 1 to Sosua.
    Its about 3 hours from Samana to Sosua??

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 716 Posts

I've driven Santo Domingo to Santiago and Sosua or vice versa a dozen times in the past six months and saw nothing about a new highway. Two weeks ago, I went to Bayahibe with my novia, a capitalena, and back to the capital, and she knew nothing about a new highway as we went north by the autopista. I was on Hwy. 3 and Hwy.4 back and saw nothing indicating another highway to Samana. Moreover, as Jimmy said, it is 2 to 3 hours from Sanchez, the closest town in the Samana Peninsula, to Sosua. Maybe he was talking about the shortcut by way of Sabaneta or thru Nagua?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KoKi9290 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 857 Posts

The highway is definitely opened. It takes about 2 1/2 hours from Sosua to Boca Chica. I think (not sure) the cost is about $12US.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cuba Libre View Post
    The highway is definitely opened. It takes about 2 1/2 hours from Sosua to Boca Chica. I think (not sure) the cost is about $12US.
    Sosua to Boca Chica in 2 1/2 ????????

DETAILS por favor!!

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TPdog View Post
    Is the new highway open going from Santo Domingo to Samana? I am flying into Santo Domingo and probably driving to Sosua later in October. This highway is in between the SD airport and Santo Domingo and keeps you away from going through Santo Domingo and straight north. What is the fee???
    Thanks,
    TP
    We will be happy to provide you with all the details of the new highway once you complete the trip report you started in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by TPdog View Post
    I have had the better part of 4 months off and spent most of the time in the DR. This thread will have pictures taken over the past 4 months along with some highlights.
    I spent time in Juan Dolio, Santo Domingo, Santiago, Samana, Rio San Juan, Puerto Plata, Caberete, and of course Sosua.
    My trips consisted of staying with one chica for 23 days to changing chicas daily for 10 days.
    I have been back for a day with a new job and a new place to live. This thread again will extend itself over the next week as I download pictures and have more time to hopefully give out some fun trip reports for newbies and vet's alike.

Just kidding......the new job must be keeping you busy!

I have not taken the new highway yet myself, but my friend who lives here has. He says the new "Super Autopista" opened a few months ago and and connects Santo Domingo with Nagua. The toll for passenger cars is 300 DR pesos (around $9US). In Nagua, it connects with Highway 5. If you head east on highway 5, you'll end up in Samana. If you head west from Nagua, you'll pass thru Rio San Juan, Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata, etc.

My friend says that using this new "Super Autopista" he can make it from his house in Cabarete to Santo Domingo in 2.5 hours.

By contrast, the last time I was in Santo Domingo we drove non-stop to La Union (between Sosua and Puerto Plata) in 3 hours and 15 minutes via Highway 1 to Santiago, and then the "Mountain Shortcut" that rejoins Highway 5 in Monte Llano. The toll on Highway 1 was 30 pesos (less than $1US).

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Sosua to Boca Chica in 2 1/2 ????????

DETAILS por favor!!
    More like 3.5 hours while speeding. We did 2.5 hours from the Capital to Sosua one fine Sunday morning.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 566 Posts

LOL.....and yes the new is keeping me busy! I have not had a day off in 3 weeks and am being rewarded with some time off before the busy retail season starts in November. I will be having some time off now this week and will continue the old thread and give some details on my summer trips.....it does look promising that I will be returning in early October!!

Quote Originally Posted by ErikS View Post
    We will be happy to provide you with all the details of the new highway once you complete the trip report you started in this thread:

Just kidding......the new job must be keeping you busy!

I have not taken the new highway yet myself, but my friend who lives here has. He says the new "Super Autopista" opened a few months ago and and connects Santo Domingo with Nagua. The toll for passenger cars is 300 DR pesos (around $9US). In Nagua, it connects with Highway 5. If you head east on highway 5, you'll end up in Samana. If you head west from Nagua, you'll pass thru Rio San Juan, Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata, etc.

My friend says that using this new "Super Autopista" he can make it from his house in Cabarete to Santo Domingo in 2.5 hours.

By contrast, the last time I was in Santo Domingo we drove non-stop to La Union (between Sosua and Puerto Plata) in 3 hours and 15 minutes via Highway 1 to Santiago, and then the "Mountain Shortcut" that rejoins Highway 5 in Monte Llano. The toll on Highway 1 was 30 pesos (less than $1US).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TPdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Not disputing what your friend says but all the reports i recieved state it's not that much quicker. And i've heard it's not 100% complete. There are detours in Nagua!

Anyway, the jury is still out and we need more info!!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 716 Posts

Erik
    Tell me where you catch this autopista around Boca Chica. As I said, I was on the autopistas and didn't see anything about it. Whether that's on me or the lack of DR signage, quien sabes? I'll be in the north in ten days and would love to know I can get to La Capital that quickly rather than La Loma to Santiago and the autopista down to and thru SDQ's abysmal traffic.

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KoKi9290 View Post

Erik
    Tell me where you catch this autopista around Boca Chica
    . As I said, I was on the autopistas and didn't see anything about it. Whether that's on me or the lack of DR signage, quien sabes? I'll be in the north in ten days and would love to know I can get to La Capital that quickly rather than La Loma to Santiago and the autopista down to and thru SDQ's abysmal traffic.

Sorry...........

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KoKi9290 View Post
    Erik
    Tell me where you catch this autopista around Boca Chica. As I said, I was on the autopistas and didn't see anything about it. Whether that's on me or the lack of DR signage, quien sabes? I'll be in the north in ten days and would love to know I can get to La Capital that quickly rather than La Loma to Santiago and the autopista down to and thru SDQ's abysmal traffic.
    It's not close to Boca Chica, but it's fairly close to the AILA exit.

When you come out of the airport, turn towards Santo Domingo. Go through the toll booths, stay on your far right, and take the marginal road.

You'll go past the Las Americas Free Zone, the corrugated box Factory, and shortly after, you'll see the entrance to the autopista on your right.

As little as a couple of weeks ago, there is no sign I remember, but you'll see the toll booth about a half a klick down the road.

The toll all the way through is $350 pesos.

I really can't see taking that route to get to Sosua, it may be faster, but a hell of a lot longer.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thread Information