Thread: Airport Transport

Thanks

Airport Transport

Please tell me the most economical and safe way to get to the Riazor Hotel from the airport.

Thx.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: Airport Transport

From Las Americas? Take a taxi just outside the airport. Only accept a ride with a driver in a yellow shirt. These guys are authorized by the airport. The dispatcher (also in a yellow shirt) will have a clip board. This board will have rates (in pesos) to all hotels and barrios of Santo Domingo. Set the price before you leave and do not pay one dime more when you arrive. The ride to your hotel should be in the area of $30.00 USD. Around 1000 pesos. Remember to exchange your money. Never use US dollars. You will always get screwed after the Dominicano you are dealing with makes the exchange rate. The bank in the airport does not give good exchange rates. I suggest you only exchange $100.00 there so you can have pesos for the taxi and for some food if you want it. You can also use one of many ATM's in the lobby of the airport. You will get a better rate there. The ATM's are next to the game room and the pizza place on the first floor. After you clear customs, look to your right as you enter the main lobby.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vincent Vega For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyhooks View Post
    Please tell me the most economical and safe way to get to the Riazor Hotel from the airport.

Thx.
    A cab from the airport. It should be a standard fee that is posted on a sign near the taxis. It is around $40us one way. It's about a 25 minute ride.

Riazor Hotel is good. Good location. Stay away from the balcony rooms. Too noisy.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks gents.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,007 Times in 3,410 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skyhooks View Post

Thx.

Hello skyhooks

The last time I took a cab from the airport to Santo Domingo was 1,000 pesos (two years ago). I do not know how much it is now.

If I were you, this is what I would do.

Ask the cab driver how much it cost. If he says more than 1,000, then tell him that the last time you took a cab (a few months ago), you paid only 1,000.

Once you are in the cab, the driver will ask you if this is your first time to the DR. Tell him that you have been to the DR many times. That way, he will not take a longer route on purpose to drive up the price.

If you have any other questions, please feel free and let us know.

P.S. In the past, I would take a cab with another tourist and split the cab fare.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheeno For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

They love to pull out them posted rates. They get off on it.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,007 Times in 3,410 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    They love to pull out them posted rates. They get off on it.

Exactly Jimmy

Those rates are all for "show".

It's like walking into a dealership and seeing a sticker price for a car. Nobody is going to pay sticker price for a car--It is all negotiable.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 355 Posts

For the most adventurous of souls, or those who have more TIME than MONEY. You can probably get to the Riazor hotel for a total of 150-300 pesos.

First, take your bags (assuming you can carry) a little past the main terminal of the airport to an area where you see motoconho's congregating. When you get there ask/offer a price of 30-40 pesos to be dropped off at the Pare/Parada for the Gua-Gua to Santo Domingo/La Capital.

As you wait near the highway for the Gua-Gua to arrive (max 10 minutes), you board the Minibus, pay apx. 40 pesos and ride into SD and will be dropped off at an area (underpass) where caro-publicos and taxi's congregate.

First, ask for a Caro to either the Malecon or Riazor Hotel, in particular- this should cost around 50 pesos. If you cannot find a caro going to your destination, negotiate a rate of apx. 110-140 pesos with a taxi to take you to your destination.

Recap:
    Moto (off-site) airport- 40 pesos
    Gua-Gua (side of road) 40 pesos
    Caro Publico (sardine-like transportation) 50 pesos
    Total= 130 pesos / 34.5= less than 4 dollars

However, saving $26 dollars, in this case is NOT worth it.....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juggles For This Useful Post:

Thread Information