Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 08/2009 - Big D'S on the Beach

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

Re: Big D'S on the Beach

Place sounds good... does this Big D actually own the place?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    Great BBQ is wonderful and I will try him but has anyone noticed about $8 for half a chicken with very little shown for sides in the picture of the quarter on the foam plate. Maybe I am just a over eater but it looks like I would need $20 there to get full with those prices at a beach stand. Fuddruckers has 1/3 pound burgers and fries with drink for $4.99 and has 1 dollar bottles of beer all day and that is with USA overhead and taxes. Does he offer an all-U-can eat option??
    I have to agree about the portions being served. By the way the chickens in the D R are about the size of a cornish hen her in the States.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biggun1221 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 887 Posts

I love you animated stuff, I wish I knew how to do that. Thanks

Yeah, dundain has some great animations. We may have to have him do a thread on how to do that stuff? I definitely have no clue how to do that.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daddy999 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,313 Times in 734 Posts

Yes thats Derrick. My understanding is he used to be a Chef and decided to get the fuck out of the states and live in the Caribbean.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gmalet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Great point and thank you for putting it so politely real. I agree as I stated I will try it and if it rocks you will hear about it in November right here. As I have mentioned on other posts if there is a meal for $30 worth every penny I will be there but if a small taco stand has 3 for a dollar basic tacos like Mexico and dollar beers with wonderful sauces, salsas, fixins to go with it I will be there every night for my after drinking second supper. My biggest adjustment is going from Central America where a street or beach stand is Pollo entiro for $3 to the DR.
    Well I gotta warn ya. I haven't been to an establishment in the DR that gives you the size servings that you get here in the states. The US is notorious for serving excessive portions.

It's actually a good thing. I always find that I lose a few pounds when I'm in the DR. I guess it's the smaller portions, fewer preservatives in the food, and sport fucking numerous chicas. I once returned from a month long stay to find that I'd lost little over ten pounds.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    Well I gotta warn ya. I haven't been to an establishment in the DR that gives you the size servings that you get here in the states. The US is notorious for serving excessive portions.

It's actually a good thing. I always find that I lose a few pounds when I'm in the DR. I guess it's the smaller portions, fewer preservatives in the food, and sport fucking numerous chicas. I once returned from a month long stay to find that I'd lost little over ten pounds.
    I suspect the Sport Fucking was the main reason. My doctor has told me I should get more active and in this case I think I should follow doctors orders. Walking back and forth around Sosua looking for the right spinner for the night will help with the cardio and calorie burning as well.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,012 Times in 800 Posts

Right on point about preservatives and portions. Part of the reason DR chickens are so much smaller than their U S cousins is they arent as doped up on steroids.

There's alot out there on how our diets and eating habits have made us the fattest and unhealthiest nation in the world in comparison to even what we would call "third world".

Life is not about weathering the storm; but rather knowing how to dance in the rain.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to carolinajack For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
    Right on point about preservatives and portions. Part of the reason DR chickens are so much smaller than their U S cousins is they arent as doped up on steroids.

There's alot out there on how our diets and eating habits have made us the fattest and unhealthiest nation in the world in comparison to even what we would call "third world".
    KFC's Buffet might have just taken a need hit there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Craziest portions i've seen is in Colombian restaurants here in the states.

They give you enough food to feed a fuckin' army.

Personally, it doesn't make any difference what the portions are because just because someone throws a mound of food on my plate doesn't mean i have to eat like a pig in a trough. I'll eat as much as i want.

Even eating "doped up" American food or even fast food, you can still be in shape if you just eat reasonable amounts and find 3 hours a week to exercise. Just look at Chad Johnson from the Bengals ... eats McDonald's like it's going out of style but he's built like a rock cuz he eats normal amounts and EXERCISES!!!!

It's really just that simple yet companies have made billions off people looking for an even easier way to be in shape, like all that crap they sell to lose weight but include at the tail end of the commercial or in fine print ... "as part of a healthy diet and exercise". Well if you had a healthy diet and exercised you'd get in shape even without taking that crap being sold to you!!!!

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,012 Times in 800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JuanElGriego View Post

Personally, it doesn't make any difference what the portions are because just because someone throws a mound of food on my plate doesn't mean i have to eat like a pig in a trough. I'll eat as much as i want.

Even eating "doped up" American food or even fast food, you can still be in shape if you just eat reasonable amounts and find 3 hours a week to exercise. Just look at Chad Johnson from the Bengals ... eats McDonald's like it's going out of style but he's built like a rock cuz he eats normal amounts and EXERCISES!!!!

It's really just that simple yet companies have made billions off people looking for an even easier way to be in shape, like all that crap they sell to lose weight but include at the tail end of the commercial or in fine print ... "as part of a healthy diet and exercise". Well if you had a healthy diet and exercised you'd get in shape even without taking that crap being sold to you!!!!
    Don't know if I'd use Chad Johnson or any other pro athlete as an example...that mofo doesn't exercise...he WORKS OUT! You don't get cut like that scarfing down McDonalds and hitting the gym for 3 hours a week...and I know that's not what you're implying but still...

...I'm sure like most high paid pros he has a personal chef and trainer who plan his meals, and MickeyD's is his one great indulgence on occassion.

We're just so used to getting these trough like portions here in the States that when served a true plate of food we freak; and unlike you most don't know how to walk away...what kills me is when I see some sow of woman inhaling a meal that could feed 2 or 3 and then ordering a "diet Pepsi" like that's gonna balance shit out.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carolinajack For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Don't know if I'd use Chad Johnson or any other pro athlete as an example...that mofo doesn't exercise...he WORKS OUT! You don't get cut like that scarfing down McDonalds and hitting the gym for 3 hours a week...and I know that's not what you're implying but still...

...I'm sure like most high paid pros he has a personal chef and trainer who plan his meals, and MickeyD's is his one great indulgence on occassion.

We're just so used to getting these trough like portions here in the States that when served a true plate of food we freak; and unlike you most don't know how to walk away...what kills me is when I see some sow of woman inhaling a meal that could feed 2 or 3 and then ordering a "diet Pepsi" like that's gonna balance shit out.
    Oh how true about the sow of a woman. The other night after bars we stopped at Denny's for Breakfast. A short very fat young woman about 24 at the next table order the FarmHand breakfast. The waitress said do you want bacon or sausage with that. She said both the breakfast with the eggs and pancakes and hashbrowns and sausage with bacon on the side and a Diet Coke. The waitress said ok one FarmHand with a side of bacon and a diet.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

gotta try Big D's.........thanks for the heads up........
    the portions overall in the DR aren't huge for sure........the only Caribbean Island I've been to where the portions are big as back home is Jamaica....
    one Jerk Chicken and Rice Peas meal is usually enuff for two people in Jamaica.....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great post!!! i met Chad Johnson on the 4th of july on south beach....very cool humble guy in person! on camera i think its mostly to sell tickets. anyway...Americans have it waaaay wrong with all these different diets and excercises to loose weight! 3 yrs ago i looked in the mirror and didnt like the excess baggage i had gained (mainly from college) i said im going to start working out (boxing fitness)....started 4 days a week for an hour a day and lost 40 pounds in about 3 months. I still ate what i wanted just ate it in moderation.

loosing weight is sooooo simple and easy. all it takes is a lil dicipline.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 292 Posts

I hear you, but gotta say, I love Crunchberrys with Diet Coke.

...what kills me is when I see some sow of woman inhaling a meal that could feed 2 or 3 and then ordering a "diet Pepsi" like that's gonna balance shit out.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nnjdave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,115 Times in 4,554 Posts

Oh how true about the sow of a woman. The other night after bars we stopped at Denny's for Breakfast. A short very fat young woman about 24 at the next table order the FarmHand breakfast. The waitress said do you want bacon or sausage with that. She said both the breakfast with the eggs and pancakes and hashbrowns and sausage with bacon on the side and a Diet Coke. The waitress said ok one FarmHand with a side of bacon and a diet.

Click to see pic
    damn lodge!!

so true dave!!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dunedain For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dunedain View Post
    damn lodge!!

so true dave!!

Click to see pic
    She's puurrrtteee

32. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Smile Re: Big D'S on the Beach

Click to see pic
    There has to be some rule on ISOC about posting pics such as this, if not there should be. Cease and desist Snr. Lodge.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yea i was told...him and his pal El Tibby have been tryin to hunt me down for some time now, LOL.....

Gonna stop by my next trip.

Like others, i saw him my last trip but wasn't sure what the deal was.

Mr. Pink was down there at the same time i was and everytime he'd pass by he asked him "are you Hempstead"??

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I ate there 3 times in the past 5 days and his food is outstanding. This is a must stop for anyone who loves good old BBQ cooking at a very good price....

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RickRock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

Do we know where big D is from? I am a BBQ fan but lean towards texas BBQ. There is a guy in Boca that does BBQ and he was from Atlanta, it was surprisingly good. I will definitely stop by next time I hit the north coast. Of course I plan on buying a grill to keep on the roof of my apt so I can do some grilling. . . ...yummy. . .I am bringing down 2 7 lb briskets I just bought in texas!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information