Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New highway

Thanks
    Thanked 3,331 Times in 571 Posts

Re: New highway

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    You have not LIVED til you've had the BMW OVER 230KM.

I would imagine the 80km limit is in certain areas only and then it opens back up. Its the same in Germany, certain areas have posted limits and one needs to heed them, and then where see "the sign" (a tire track in a circle, which brings a smile to my face just thinking of it) and you can open er up all the way .
    Actually, the top speed for the entire highway is 80 kph. A good chunk of the last 1/3 of the highway (close to Nagua) is closer to 50 kph, due to lots of curves and hills.

At the end of the highway, you turn left, so the ocean is on your right side. The road is fine through Nagua, but after that, there's a stretch between there and Rio San Juan which has a ton of potholes. It's best to follow another car, as the potholes come up quickly and the other vehicles give you some advance warning. DO NOT attempt to drive at or above the speed limit at night, especially if you're in a car, as it would be exceedingly dangerous.

After Rio San Juan, the road is fine all the way through Puerto Plata.

For a daytime run, and assuming no stops, give yourself 3 1/2 hours from the time you enter the highway until you are in downtown Sosua.

It's a nice drive, and you get to see a lot you'd ordinarily miss if you flew straight into POP. That said, be careful - the police and potholes are equally hazardous on this route.
    Last edited by husl2001; 10-08-2009 at 04:54 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to husl2001 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by husl2001 View Post

For a daytime run, and assuming no stops, give yourself 3 1/2 hours from the time you enter the highway until you are in downtown Sosua.

It's a nice drive, and you get to see a lot you'd ordinarily miss if you flew straight into POP. That said, be careful - the police and potholes are equally hazardous on this route.
    this would be an impossible timeframe
    as We usually average about 3-4 stops for snacks & food, gas, more cold beer, baņo . Its usually like 6+ hours. But like you said, you get to see a LOT more of the scenery.
    That is, when a chica is not on my lap with her tits in my face, holding my beer. LOL
    I love road trips in the DR.
    Last edited by JD426; 10-08-2009 at 05:03 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,331 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    How much are the tolls?
    For a private car or SUV, you'll need approximately RD400 for the tolls. They don't exchange foreign cash, so have your pesos handy.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to husl2001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

OK now we get all the info without the HYPE!!!!!

I want to give it a shot on the next trip!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information