Thread: Car rental & Driving in Santo Domingo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 366 Posts

Car rental & Driving in Santo Domingo

I've read numerous reports over the last few days trying to get some information on car rentals and driving in the capital. First off I must thank gmalet for providing the 50% discount code for avis car rental in this thread. What a huge savings I've reaped.

Anyway, I read one thread stating the traffic is bad but I haven't come across a thread that provided any advice, suggestions or other information on driving in the Capital that a first timer could use. I drive all the time in Sosua but this is my first trip to the capital and I know it must be much larger and more congested than Sosua. How hazardous is it? What can I expect? Thanks for any advice or help you can provide.
    trEPP33

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Re: Car rental & Driving in Santo Domingo

The problem i always have in the Capital is with the Policia. Not the green suited AMET traffic agents, but the nacional police.

As soon as they spot a single american tourist driving in a bright green clown car, i get stopped and the shake down begins. They make up some fake traffic charge, such as, making a turn from the wrong lane(lie), running a red light(lie) or talking on a cell phone(lie).

They ask for my license and say they're writing a 1000 peso ticket but for 500 pesos, they can make the matter go away. I've gotten stopped at least 5 times in the Capital and a couple times one has even gotten in the car and made me drive to a side street to scare me.

So if any of this happens, remain calm and respectful, but tell them you don't have any money. Take your cell phone out and tell them you need to check with your friend at the Embassy. Hopefully at this point they will back off. If all else fails, i usually keep 200 pesos in the cup holder if i'm in a rush. That has worked sometimes as well.

I hate the Capital!!!!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 699 Posts

I have only driven in the Capital once and had a dominican as a navigator. We went from Cabarete to Boca Chica and the Capital via the new highway.

Currently I am not up to doing the Capital alone yet given that the traffic is rough but more importantly, the lack of street signs made it difficult even for my navigator to get us back on the main road back to Cabarete. We missed our turns twice do to either no signage or very inconspicous signage.

Santiago isn't much better in that department. We will keep learning though so tells us how you fared.
    Viejo Verde

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ingus_Khan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 366 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll definitely tell you how I fared but am hoping to get more and as much info/advice I can before my trip which is in two weeks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 774 Posts

There's a guy on DR1 who says that when he is stopped and shaken down he pretends he does'nt know a word of Spanish and after a while the NP get frustrated and go away. Another I know was stopped for a fake charge several times and the police demanded $100 or they would take him to jail. He's never paid them. They do intimidate you though. And it's a pain in the ass to boot. I got stopped a couple of years ago and ended up giving them 100 pesos as I was on my way to the airport and had a deadline. The Embassy call is good as mentioned above. Every once in a while a story is written on DR1 about cops who get fired for corruption but the practice goes on and on.
    SouthCoast

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drjetman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 860 Posts

Driving during rush hour is nuts... Gridlock like you would not believe.. Not to mention drivers are crazy and will try to squeeze in every little crack. Also, the power goes out a lot.. end up being no street lights! As mentioned, the signs are not the best. Since it's your first time and you're looking at streets and traffic, it is highly recommended that you NOT drive in the capital!

Also, Yes... The policia are very, very corrupt. They are always looking for a shakedown.. It is not worth the hassle.. Give the policia the equivalent of $1-$2 each policia and tell them to go get some coffee! Why do you want to waste your time arguing over $1 or $2???

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hioctane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hioctane View Post
    Driving during rush hour is nuts... Gridlock like you would not believe.. Not to mention drivers are crazy and will try to squeeze in every little crack. Also, the power goes out a lot.. end up being no street lights! As mentioned, the signs are not the best. Since it's your first time and you're looking at streets and traffic, it is highly recommended that you NOT drive in the capital!

Also, Yes... The policia are very, very corrupt. They are always looking for a shakedown.. It is not worth the hassle.. Give the policia the equivalent of $1-$2 each policia and tell them to go get some coffee! Why do you want to waste your time arguing over $1 or $2???
    The thing is they won't accept $2 anymore. They want $50 and that is worth the hassle!

These are not security guard looking cops. They are more like the swat looking kind. And i've been stopped at times by a group of 6. It can be very intimidating like someone said. I just try and keep my cool(respect) as i'm fighting them.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    The thing is they won't accept $2 anymore. They want $50 and that is worth the hassle!

These are not security guard looking cops. They are more like the swat looking kind. And i've been stopped at times by a group of 6. It can be very intimidating like someone said. I just try and keep my cool(respect) as i'm fighting them.
    From what you said, 500 pesos is about $15 and 1000 pesos is about $30.

If you give them $2 PER PERSON.. 500 pesos is about right..

Anyways, I have family that lives down there. They get shaken down all the time (they're asian). I'll find out what the current situation is.

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

I have driven often in the capital and got stopped twice once real late at night (around 2 am) about a year ago, and I just felt like taking a drive, after a while I pretended not knowing much Spanish, and after a while they got bored with me, once they figured it was no go, they waved me on my way. The second time about 5 months ago, and I actually was in the wrong, because I did make an illegal turn, I was with a chica that had some place to go, so I paid I think 300 pesos.

Overall I wouldn't drive during the rush hours, because the traffic can be crazy, it reminds me of driving in Manhattan, if you can do that and keep your wits about you; you should be fine. Just remember they are very aggressive drivers, and sometimes when you are in a location where most of the drivers are aggressive, if you aren't somewhat aggressive yourself, you can also cause problems. One thing also to remember is that often times, motos especially they don't follow the rules, it is not unusual to see a moto driving down the wrong way on a one way street, or carros stopping suddenly without signaling. Having said all that for the most part it seems to eventually move, and I have seen many less accidents then I would have guessed there would be, considering some of the actions I have witnessed.

I have also noticed that they tend to use their horns instead of their brakes if they can.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think it's much worse than Manhattan. People make crazy turns from all directions. As I mentioned in another thread, there are lots of power outtages and sometimes there's no lights. It's really not recommended for a first timer especially if you have to look for street signs too. You should see for yourself before you decide if you really want to drive in that!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hioctane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hioctane View Post
    From what you said, 500 pesos is about $15 and 1000 pesos is about $30.

If you give them $2 PER PERSON.. 500 pesos is about right..

Anyways, I have family that lives down there. They get shaken down all the time (they're asian). I'll find out what the current situation is.
    The point is they won't except $2. Like i said, i've been stopped many times so i'm just offering the information. My last trip to the Capital might have been maybe a week ago.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

You're better off driving in Jamaica on the wrong side of the road. The closest I've ever come to driving in Santo Domingo is Mexico City....except it's worse....the cops in Mexico City aren't nearly as crooked.

I take taxi's or buses, even domestic flights everywhere in the D.R. for far less than a rental would cost (even with the discount) and I don't have to worry about getting fucked by the thieving ass police bandits. They're the worst whores on the f'ing island. At least the "whore" whores make you feel good.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Another option to flying, taxis and private drivers is Caribe Toures. I am planning to take a couple of days on my next trip and traveling north. I emailed Caribe tour on travel (I will be staying in Zona Colonial). There response was I believe reasonable. (10 bucks to Naugua).
    Pregunta- Hola. Voy a venir a la República Dominicana. ¿Tiene usted una estación en Boca Chica? Me gustaría viajar de Boca Chica a Nagua. ¿Es posible o tengo que ir y venir por Santo Domingo?
    Answer:
    Estimado Señor:

En respuesta a su solicitud de información de si tenemos una estación en Boca Chica la respuesta es que no, ya que no viajamos a la zona este del país.

Si viajamos a Nagua pero para hacerlo debe venir directamente a nuestra terminal de la Avenida 27 de Febrero con Leopoldo Navarro en la ciudad.

Nuestros horarios de salidas todos los días de lunes a lunes son los siguientes:

7:00 a.m. – 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. en las mañanas
    1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. en las tardes.

El costo del pasaje por persona es de RD$ 280.00.

Esperando la información haya sido de su utilidad, se despide,
    Translation:
    "Hello. I'll come to the Dominican Republic. Do you have a station in Boca Chica? I would travel from Boca Chica to Nagua. Is it possible or should I come and go through Santo Domingo? Dear Sir:

In response to your request for information if we have a station in Boca Chica, the answer is no, because we do not travel to the east of the country.

Nagua but if you travel to do so must come directly to our end of the Avenida 27 de Febrero with Leopoldo Navarro in the city.

Our schedule of departures every day from Monday to Monday are:

7:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. mornings
    1:00 PM - 1:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. afternoons.

The per person ticket cost is RD $ 280.00.

Hoping this information has been useful,"

I'll give everyone an update how much I was fornicated on this decision path when I get down there...

Thread Information