Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/2009 - Sosua Money Exchange (The Best Locations)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,195 Posts

11/2009 - Sosua Money Exchange (The Best Locations)

During my last trip to Sosua I had money sent to me twice once in Charimicos where the exchange rate at Caribe Money Exchange (down the hill from Caribe tours) was 36.05 (a full peso) in some places then in Sosua. There is also an lil exchange place right next door to Caribe that gave the same rate of 36.05. The other time I recieved money via Western Union in Sosua (just up the street going towards the main highway) and the exchange rate there was also 36.05. YES THEY WILL EXCHANGE YOUR MONEY EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING A WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER. The closest to that rate in Sosua was 35.90 in a lil place just across from Classicos (halfway up the block) on the same side of the street as the Sports Bar.
    I'm back... Heading Back To Green #TurnUpTime

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

Re: Sosua Money Exchange (The Best Locations)

The playero supermarket on Hwy 5 always gave me 36 to my dollar.
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo44 View Post
    The playero supermarket on Hwy 5 always gave me 36 to my dollar.
    Ok 36 to 36.05 not much of a difference.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I got 36.10 with no problem at the place right after Hermans bar as you walk to Classicos. Just tell him MIKE( make up a name) recommended you to him, and he got that rate. Day time only. A couple just off the plane in front of me were given like 35.70 or something, and were happy with it, the wife showed her hand when she said "wow thats a lot better than at the airport"... Amateur . LOL.. I said nothing, waited til they LEFT,(which the exchange guy appreciated) and made my deal at 36.10. So thats how it seems to work.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    I got 36.10 with no problem at the place right after Hermans bar as you walk to Classicos. Just tell him MIKE( make up a name) recommended you to him, and he got that rate. Day time only. A couple just off the plane in front of me were given like 35.70 or something, and were happy with it, the wife showed her hand when she said "wow thats a lot better than at the airport"... Amateur . LOL.. I said nothing, waited til they LEFT,(which the exchange guy appreciated) and made my deal at 36.10. So thats how it seems to work.
    I was told to be careful there because the money be counterfeit... But I will keep that in my mental for the next trip the first weekend of December. Buying ticket friday.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

a lot of guys at SeaBreeze were using this place down by the Kaka Kaka Bar and Happy Bar for 36 to 1 in September......

it was to the left of the Kaka Kaka bar in this picture.........

one day when I was waiting in line to change a $100 at this place there was a monger in front of me......mi waiting and waiting.......thinking what the heck is this guy doing..... this guy changed out $4,000US........when it was my turn and after the $4,000US guy had left.....I said to the owner that must be one expensive Chica......him was laughing and pratically rolling on the ground on that one......

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by givengo440 View Post
    I was told to be careful there because the money be counterfeit... But I will keep that in my mental for the next trip the first weekend of December. Buying ticket friday.
    I doubt that, I was told hes been there for a bit .Its a hole in the wall, but I dont think he would want to give someone counterfeits, hes too easy to find again, and everyone tends to know the LAST place they got Cambio.
    I would be more worried about the street guys, who are probably the ones starting the Rumour. Dont forget they work on a tight margin or maybe .20-.30,but they do it all day long so the can make a couple thousand pesos. Which is a half months salary, for hanging out and bullshitting with tourists all day, not a bad Gig and not very hard work, if you can do math on your feet.
    The street guys in Santo Domingo, are CRIMINALS, Dont EVER deal with them, or you will be sorry, esp if they offer you a rate WAY too good to be true, then you know they will cheat you for sure, just walk away.

Edit......

Dont misunderstand me , the street guys in Sosua are NOT criminals(from what I have seen an heard) , . They are hustlers for sure, but not criminals, since its a SMALL town, and they take it seriously.
    In SANTO DOMINGO (HUGE city) , they ARE 90 % criminals (IMO) and smart Gringos will not deal with them at all .They dont fear anything as they will easily set up in another section of the city, and they know we're not good at remembering their faces anyway. Most times the getaway is with another Motoconcho waiting near by. So dont let your guard down when u go there.
    thats all im saying.
    Last edited by JD426; 11-09-2009 at 01:09 PM.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I doubt that, I was told hes been there for a bit .Its a hole in the wall, but I dont think he would want to give someone counterfeits, hes too easy to find again, and everyone tends to know the LAST place they got Cambio.
    I would be more worried about the street guys, who are probably the ones starting the Rumour. Dont forget they work on a tight margin or maybe .20-.30,but they do it all day long so the can make a couple thousand pesos. Which is a half months salary, for hanging out and bullshitting with tourists all day, not a bad Gig and not very hard work, if you can do math on your feet.
    The street guys in Santo Domingo, are CRIMINALS, Dont EVER deal with them, or you will be sorry, esp if they offer you a rate WAY too good to be true, then you know they will cheat you for sure, just walk away.
    JD I agree with what you are saying just passing the intel as it came to me. As far as the street guys they yell a number I yell back double and triple that number. There is only one way to deal with a thief cut his fucking fingers off! So I stay clear...

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Super Super used to match whatever the best going price was (if you asked). I haven't changed there in about a year though.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    Super Super used to match whatever the best going price was (if you asked). I haven't changed there in about a year though.
    gdogg where is the Super Super located?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

In Sosua I always use the street guys and have never had a problem. The exchange is always the same and they are always there. I have made friends with a couple of them. The same guys have been there for years.

If she is alive, she will fuck.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tiger89 View Post
    In Sosua I always use the street guys and have never had a problem. The exchange is always the same and they are always there. I have made friends with a couple of them. The same guys have been there for years.

Click to see pic

They all work out of the store fronts and if you go in, you get a little better.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiger89 View Post

Click to see pic
    This is the guy across the street from the ice cream store, Bon's?
    He has a good reputation,but as said, hes .20-.30 lower than the storefronts. . Im starting to remember faces.
    LOL

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,720 Times in 3,243 Posts

He has a good reputation,but as said, hes .20-.30 lower than the storefronts. . Im starting to remember faces.
    LOL
    Thats his commission. Use them after the stores close.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seņor Jimmy of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

LOL
    LOL my thoughts exactly he also in the evening frequents the corner by JP's
    Last edited by givengo440; 11-11-2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by givengo440 View Post
    gdogg where is the Super Super located?
    It's the big liquor store on the corner of the Pedro Clisante and the street where Eddy's and The Romanoff are.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,743 Times in 643 Posts

The storefront right next to Happy Bar during the day is always good. I've used the cambio next to El Flow 100's of times and EVERY TIME they try to give me 35.5 I'd just walk off and they'd immediately change to 36 but I got tired of the "dance" and just moved on.

I also used a couple of colmados on the west end of Alejo Martinez - just around the corner of Caprinia (all night soup place). He has a sign posted 36 or whatever the rate is. He's a brit, and super nice guy.

Of course you can go to Charamicos, but buyer beware for a gringo roaming into that territory walking out of a cambio. Talk about a bullseye target!

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    The storefront right next to Happy Bar during the day is always good. I've used the cambio next to El Flow 100's of times and EVERY TIME they try to give me 35.5 I'd just walk off and they'd immediately change to 36 but I got tired of the "dance" and just moved on.

I also used a couple of colmados on the west end of Alejo Martinez - just around the corner of Caprinia (all night soup place). He has a sign posted 36 or whatever the rate is. He's a brit, and super nice guy.

Of course you can go to Charamicos, but buyer beware for a gringo roaming into that territory walking out of a cambio. Talk about a bullseye target!
    First i wanna say your avatar is great.

Charamicos isnt Batey but its basically safe. Ive rented a condo there and driven through on my scooter at night. Even had a problem and had to walk the scooter to the condo with my chica at 3 in the morning in the dark. I wouldnt do that on a regular basis but i never felt threatened and never got a strange look from anyone the whole time i stayed there. I would not be even slightly scared walking out of a cambio in Charamicos, especially the hours they operate... the streets are mobbed anyway at that time. The place that givengo440 said (Caribe Money Exchange) is the only place i used last time. No bullshit games, the sign is posted and all the locals use it. If you walk out of the beach on Charamicos side its basically straight up about 2 or 3 blocks right at the top of the hill you can see it.

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to swiggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,743 Times in 643 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swiggy View Post
    Thanks man, I made a bunch of derivatives of them. Actually going to make some T-Shirts once I get them refined. It's just the kind of shit I do when I need to be doing something else more constructive.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swiggy View Post

Charamicos isnt Batey but its basically safe. Ive rented a condo there and driven through on my scooter at night. Even had a problem and had to walk the scooter to the condo with my chica at 3 in the morning in the dark. I wouldnt do that on a regular basis but i never felt threatened and never got a strange look from anyone the whole time i stayed there. I would not be even slightly scared walking out of a cambio in Charamicos, especially the hours they operate... the streets are mobbed anyway at that time. The place that givengo440 said (Caribe Money Exchange) is the only place i used last time. No bullshit games, the sign is posted and all the locals use it. If you walk out of the beach on Charamicos side its basically straight up about 2 or 3 blocks right at the top of the hill you can see it.
    I agree on the avatar as well and Charamicos. I've ridden down there in the eve on my bike and played basketball there almost everyday never felt threatened always was aware of my surroundings but never felt funky. Also the Caribe Money Exchange is the main spot but if you are facing it and look to your left there is a lil exchange place (sign is outside) that offers the same exchange. I use that when Caribe is closed or crowded.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread Information