Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/2009 - Sosua Money Exchange (The Best Locations)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Re: ATMs in Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    not sure about the usa but the banks in canada will not give out more than one per account holder. ( i have tried even on my buisness accounts)
    I opened a sub account on my main account and was issued another card, different number on the card and you can set up a different PIN number. This way you can go on-line and transfer money (no fee) from one account to another. If the machine eats your card or someone steals it you simply empty that account and no one can get at your money. This was actually suggested to me by my bank manager.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 232 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: ATMs in Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    I opened a sub account on my main account and was issued another card, different number on the card and you can set up a different PIN number. This way you can go on-line and transfer money (no fee) from one account to another. If the machine eats your card or someone steals it you simply empty that account and no one can get at your money. This was actually suggested to me by my bank manager.
    Yes, that is what I have set up for myself. Two separate accounts with different numbers and cards...I can transfer $$ between them at will on line at any time 24/7. Very convenient and easy.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onetosix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by continentalmike View Post
    Sucks but in that case open two accounts and viola two cards
    i already have too many accounts at too many different banks

but in sosewer i try to use only my scotia bank card at the scotia bank
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    So....what happened?
    Not too much. I just left the hotel and saw her walking down PC the next day.
    She gave me a terrible look and I gave her a big goofy grin and kept walking.
    She was mumbling something in spanish when I walked by and I don't think it was "have a nice day"

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobdobbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,686 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Sosua Money Exchange (The Best Locations)

be careful with some of these exchange stores on Pedro.

I went to the one by lation's el flow. And the guy tried to rip me off 600 pesos.
    He gave me a rate of 35, instead of 36. I didnt see the calculator. But I could tell he was up to something fishy.
    I went back to the cigar corner bar, re-counted, and got the calculator from that bar, and realized what he did.

I went back told him, calmy...He apologized, but her knew, and I knew what he did. I got the right amount back this time.

I wonder how often he pockets 600 pesos, or more, when people exchange?
    maybe that's why they are behind a cage? lol

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stevereds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 320 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevereds View Post

I went to the one by lation's el flow. And the guy tried to rip me off 600 pesos.
    He gave me a rate of 35, instead of 36. I didnt see the calculator. But I could tell he was up to something fishy.
    I went back to the cigar corner bar, re-counted, and got the calculator from that bar, and realized what he did.

I went back told him, calmy...He apologized, but her knew, and I knew what he did. I got the right amount back this time.

That sounds like where I got my dollars exchanged. He gave me a little over 35 per $1. Considering the airport was only giving roughly 32, I chose not to argue about it being 36. Next time, I'll know better.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to macula For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevereds View Post

Im glad somone else caught this also.
    He tried that exact same thing with me end of May last time around , shortchanging me by 500 pesos, I caught it immed , before he even handed it to me thru the iron gate. and held it up high and showed him. He apologized naturally.
    I immed warned everyone in the groups at the NG . Not sure if the guys believed me though, so thanks for confirming I was not crazy.
    I still have to use him at night sometimes, but COUNT YOUR money.
    They think if you are a little drunk,he will try you, that goes for all of them.
    The street guys were giving me 36.50 during the day and the PLayero Supermercado on 5 only 36.70 so it was not even worth the effort to go there.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,686 Times in 501 Posts

yeah, this guy is sneaky. you can barely see thru the metal screen thing. and he hides the calculator too.

other places, show you the calculator, some even give you a print out.

I am glad I caught it. 600 pesos, is several Presidente's and mamajuana shots.

His little bank thing is right by lation's/el flow area.

Be careful... only use him if you must. and ask to see the calculator.

What he did was:
    He said the rate at night was 36. not 36.5
    He then proceeded to punch in 35X my amount of US dollars.

I thought he punched in 35, but wasnt positive. my math sucks, so when I got to the corner cigar bar, I used their calculator....sure enough he gave me 35 rate.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stevereds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The only problems I had with the ATM's in Sosua are when they are all down on the weekend for lack of funds. I can never bring myself to bring enough cash on me for my whole trip. I have an eggs in one basket phobia. I know It cost me in the long run. My advice is to always get enough cash from the atm's on Friday, for the whole weekend. That way if your card gets snagged you can get it back because the bank will be open. During my march trip this year there was a guy who lost his card on Saturday evening and he was SOL with 10 bucks to his name for the whole weekend.
    What's understood doesn't need to be said.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonblaze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonblaze View Post
    The only problems I had with the ATM's in Sosua are when they are all down on the weekend for lack of funds. I can never bring myself to bring enough cash on me for my whole trip. I have an eggs in one basket phobia. I know It cost me in the long run. My advice is to always get enough cash from the atm's on Friday, for the whole weekend. That way if your card gets snagged you can get it back because the bank will be open. During my march trip this year there was a guy who lost his card on Saturday evening and he was SOL with 10 bucks to his name for the whole weekend.
    OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,164 Times in 5,857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    i already have too many accounts at too many different banks

but in sosewer i try to use only my scotia bank card at the scotia bank

I don't trust ATM's. Period. I use them everywhere, but never trust them as only source of funds.

I have numerous accounts with RBC and still only one card - security policy - one customer, one card.

Couple of years ago on a Sunday evening I was at the bus station buying tickets with my debit card to cross into NY on my 2 weeks SEA trip. And, my card was cancelled! No calls, on a Sunday, just like that... Just imagine if I'd have planned to withdraw my bahts and pisos from my account, I'd have been royally fucked up. I was screaming to a security guy on the phone like a madman. (one of the locations was compromized so all users likely got their cards cancelled at the same time). I exchanged my card for a new one only when I returned.

Lessons learned: take cash, travellers cheques and multiple cards but ultimately don't trust plastic.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    I don't trust ATM's. Period. I use them everywhere, but never trust them as only source of funds.

I have numerous accounts with RBC and still only one card - security policy - one customer, one card.

Couple of years ago on a Sunday evening I was at the bus station buying tickets with my debit card to cross into NY on my 2 weeks SEA trip. And, my card was cancelled! No calls, on a Sunday, just like that... Just imagine if I'd have planned to withdraw my bahts and pisos from my account, I'd have been royally fucked up. I was screaming to a security guy on the phone like a madman. (one of the locations was compromized so all users likely got their cards cancelled at the same time). I exchanged my card for a new one only when I returned.

Lessons learned: take cash, travellers cheques and multiple cards but ultimately don't trust plastic.

Get a new bank or various new banks

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobdobbs View Post
    Few years ago I was with a chica in bed and told her after we finish I need to go to an ATM. Could you tell me where is the closest one?
    She said to me "Oh you don't need to get out of bed just give me your Bank Card and PIN number and I will go get the money for you.
    I thought to my self "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING!!"
    Then I had a great idea. I ran to my wallet gave her my card and told her the PIN number was 9876. Please take out 5000 and keep 2000 for yourself.
    She bounced out of bed and I never saw anyone get dressed so fast and run out of the room.
    I guess I should have told her the card I gave her was a "Best Buy" gift card with .39 cents on it.
    Plus she ran out so quick I didn't even get to pay her the 1500 for the TLN
    I strongly doubt this happened in Sosua without a tiguere @ your door or an empty Presidente over your head, but thanks for the fiction.

tfcm

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MisterPink For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by F.C. Medina View Post
    I strongly doubt this happened in Sosua without a tiguere @ your door or an empty Presidente over your head, but thanks for the fiction.

tfcm
    Where's that doggone embellishment thread....
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 464 Posts

I was in Sosua from July 18-30. For some reason I couldn't get cash from the Banco Popular ATM. I had to call my bank twice to make sure they didn't have a hold on my account. I don't know what the issued was with Banco Popular, but I never was able to get cash from their machine. I had no problems getting cash from the ATM at the bank down the street from Seacrets.

One thing I did notice is that both ATMs will take your card, read it and then give it back to you before you make any transactions! I guess the banks there wised up!
    My cock doesn't talk politics. ~Stephal Sachs

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deep2001 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

I only exchange 100 at time kinda hard to be shady when its 3650 even.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deep2001 View Post
    I was in Sosua from July 18-30. For some reason I couldn't get cash from the Banco Popular ATM. I had to call my bank twice to make sure they didn't have a hold on my account. I don't know what the issued was with Banco Popular, but I never was able to get cash from their machine. I had no problems getting cash from the ATM at the bank down the street from Seacrets.

One thing I did notice is that both ATMs will take your card, read it and then give it back to you before you make any transactions! I guess the banks there wised up!
    Same here!

I have a Citibank card and for some reason, the NEW Banco Popular machines won't take the card. I have no problems with the old BP machines or any other bank machine.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,029 Times in 652 Posts

I always found the Banco Popular machines to be "tempermental". At one time debit cards wouldn't work but if you selected "savings" instead of "checking" during the menu process they would work.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    I always found the Banco Popular machines to be "tempermental". At one time debit cards wouldn't work but if you selected "savings" instead of "checking" during the menu process they would work.
    i prefer to use the reserva banc down by seacrets ..

but, whenever i use banco popular.. whether its at the end of pedro by the beach, or in santiago, and at the santiago airport, i always have to select savings instead of checking as well.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    I always found the Banco Popular machines to be "temperamental". At one time debit cards wouldn't work but if you selected "savings" instead of "checking" during the menu process they would work.
    Same applies to my Banco BHD current (checking) account. I have to select "savings" not "checking". Took me weeks to work that one out, I thought they had somehow stored the wrong PIN number for me.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information