Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scotch and Sirloin Restaurant

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Re: Scotch and Sirloin Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    Anyone else want to TOFFT?? Maybe it was opening night problems.
    They struck out with the burger and the salmon, on opening night, not a good sign. One would make a little effort on the first night, no ?
    thanks for the heads up, too many other good choices to waste ones time at such a place.

Thanks

snoozer did you say scotch????? Single malt or blend??? Nothing like a neat single malt and good cigar. Well......I would take a timeout for a chica.

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prtyr2 View Post
    It depends what part of paradise. I have had some very good steaks in the DR. . . .just not in sosua. I even had a good one in cabarete at a lil place owned by a dude from argentina.

Puerto madero in STI

Antonio's, Madera, David Crocketts, Porter House, Rancho all have good steaks and the prime rib at outback is decent. . . .along with a bloomin onion.

Or you could try "steak night" at the Shark Bar. Not too bad (if I do say so myself!)

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Shark bar yeah that is were its at hmmmm

6. The Following User Says Thank You to manning88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 414 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ErikS View Post
    Or you could try "steak night" at the Shark Bar. Not too bad (if I do say so myself!)

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

Click to see pic
    what does a nice steak dinner cost at the sharks bar??

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

Click to see pic
    Can't go wrong with a "steak night" at Stratton's. Always good eatings! But wait, he's not "officially" a restaurant. Never mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

If you are grilling. . . .I am there!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo44 View Post
    As much as i enjoy scotch( it is always with me in a flask at night), and of course a good steak, I thought we had something going here.... thanx for being honest tho!!
    Jimbo and the flask I knew I wasn't the only guy that owned one.
    Great way to have a good bump before you go in a club or share with a chica so you can buy her less. Very handy tool for doing a walk about.
    Just Doing It

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    I've always found the prime rib at El Toro's to be really good. Things may have changed. Snoozer, you're definitely right about Ted's Santo Libres...they're the bomb!!
    I had 2 good meals at El Toro and the steak was fine. Not USDA Prime but ok. I will eat there again.

Thanks

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

Click to see pic
    That first pic looks like it was in a house fire
    I bet it was great when it was Rare and a fine thing before someone cooked the life out of it. MOO

Thanks

The way steak shoudl be, cold in teh middle

We had a WSO who used to say "Just walk the damm cow in and hold a candle under it"

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    I bet it was great when it was Rare and a fine thing before someone cooked the life out of it. MOO

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Just me For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Just me View Post
    The way steak shoudl be, cold in teh middle

We had a WSO who used to say "Just walk the damm cow in and hold a candle under it"
    Very true this is the same thing as Tony Bourdain eating raw Sushi quality chicken (not for me) but all fresh seafood can be eaten raw and a good steak is a wonderful thing Rare. Personally if the health of the place is a ? I will order it Medium Rare so that it is Red but at least warm center but anywhere else

Foogetttabouuttiiittt

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post

Uh, that "someone" was me. And I beg to differ on your assesment.

Those particular Porterhouse steaks had been "dry aged" in Lou's reefer for 10 days.
    Then, the night before cooking them, I applied a special dry rub (which I laid on thick!) containing, amoung other things, some sugar and ground coffee beans. That way when you grill it over high heat, you get a nice crust formed from the dry rub (easily mistaken for being burned)

And if you look at the picture carefully, you will see that that steak is pink (not red) on the inside - cooked just as the guy ordered it: Medium rare to medium.

I prefer my own steak to be medium rare.

And I will be cooking more steaks at the Shark Bar next week for another "ISOC Steak night" for Jayman and crew.
    But I guess your not interested.

17. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    They struck out with the burger and the salmon, on opening night, not a good sign. One would make a little effort on the first night, no ?
    thanks for the heads up, too many other good choices to waste ones time at such a place.
    This is how I look at this place also. All the reviews I have read both here and on DR1 were negative. You cant have all negative reviews for your grand opening and on top of that be more expensive than most other places.

As far as steaks go if you want USDA and its available at the Shark Bar thats going to be the best choice. If not El Toro isnt bad in Sosua.

The best domestic DR steak I ever had was at Kuka Makara in Santiago near the monument. It wasnt a typical steak it was some specialty steak dish they make. The sauce and seasoning made the beef very tasty and tender. I would definitely order that again.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i had filet mignon/medium with vegetables and i thought it was awesome. everyone at my table had the filet as well and also enjoyed. they had some live musicians playing spanish music. i liked it

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SGA For This Useful Post:

Thanks

just stayed week at terra linda ate breakfast a few lunches and dinners there everything was good !!!! the so called $10 chica breakfast charge only costs what the guest actually orders beautiful unless shes a pig ahaha the place isnt really opened yet talked with vincent one of the owners hes doing changes everyday wants a quality place the musicans idea came from my crew who sat at tables on sidewalk engaging the chicas when street players came by we had them stay about 1/2 hr chicas loved it crowd gathered

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thirdrexx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

I had one of the best steaks I have ever had in latin America @ Steak and Sirloin it took a long time but we were the first served in the opening on Xmas.My friends Novia who actually works there now had that Shrimp and Pasta so I ate all of hers after I finished my steak,and I never eat anything off someone elses plate ever but it was so damn good.A ISOC member KOKI9290 asked me how it was and how much?My reply was fuck I dont know its like monopoly money to me!LOL
    Last edited by Mr Hillbilly; 02-16-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    I am in love with Jimmydr. I want him to be mine forever!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Ate at this place last Tuesday and was pleasantly surprised. One of the waitresses there worked at Rocky's for years, and is a really sweet girl. She actually recognized me from previous trips and convinced me to try the place out.

I had the seafood paella. It was absolutely wonderful with huge pieces of lobster, and plenty of shrimp and assorted shellfish. And it had the crust on the bottom that is essential for a good paella. One of the more expensive items on the menu. But totally worth it, as they give you enough for three people. I actually ate on it for two days.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    Ate at this place last Tuesday and was pleasantly surprised. One of the waitresses there worked at Rocky's for years, and is a really sweet girl. She actually recognized me from previous trips and convinced me to try the place out.

I had the seafood paella. It was absolutely wonderful with huge pieces of lobster, and plenty of shrimp and assorted shellfish. And it had the crust on the bottom that is essential for a good paella. One of the more expensive items on the menu. But totally worth it, as they give you enough for three people. I actually ate on it for two days.
    Maybe they are realizing that every review from their opening was horrible and they need to get their acts together ?

For the prices I have heard I would still rather do Cabarete and eat on the beach.

Thanks

Uh, that "someone" was me. And I beg to differ on your assesment.

Those particular Porterhouse steaks had been "dry aged" in Lou's reefer for 10 days.
    Then, the night before cooking them, I applied a special dry rub (which I laid on thick!) containing, amoung other things, some sugar and ground coffee beans. That way when you grill it over high heat, you get a nice crust formed from the dry rub (easily mistaken for being burned)

And if you look at the picture carefully, you will see that that steak is pink (not red) on the inside - cooked just as the guy ordered it: Medium rare to medium.

Click to see pic

I prefer my own steak to be medium rare.

And I will be cooking more steaks at the Shark Bar next week for another "ISOC Steak night" for Jayman and crew.
    But I guess your not interested.

Sounds like some excellent preparation wish I hadn't been between trips for that. I would have ordered on of those bad boys nice and Rare cool in the center

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information