Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dont always feel safe here solo

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,539 Times in 1,755 Posts

Re: Big, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Soprano View Post
    If I wanna fuck with U, I will. If not, get out of my face. Sometimes one look says volumes.
    Black,

I totally agree with your assessment because although one of my "road dawgs" is a big dude (who can & will "break em up"/"smash em up"), he is usually the one that is accosted by the chicas and sometimes the hustlers (probably because he's always grinning like a big teddy bear until it's time to catch the plane back) whereas both of them usually stay the fuck away from me (probably because I keep a scowl on my face and posses that keep-it-moving type of attitude).

The irony of this is while we're on familiar soil (home) he's the one you will most likely see with all types of artillery, whereas I am the one you will see coaching kids and mentoring.

Moral of the story: Know your audience and pay attention to your surroundings!

Dr. Bangkok
    Last edited by Passport Playa; 07-01-2010 at 04:05 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Passport Playa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 506 Posts

Re: Dont always feel safe here solo

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    No doubt.

I've been a few places where I was catching serious bad vibes, some people looking at me like I was the fucking devil, and I've yet to catch any of that directed at me in Sosua (at least, not to any degree where I was legitimately concerned). I'd rather walk through downtown Sosua alone at 4am than some neighborhoods in NYC.

Always be aware of your surroundings. That goes for pretty much any potentially unfriendly environment.
    i guess it just matters on where you at, where you been and what you have seen. i just dont think sosua is dangerous at all. its grimey as far as pick pocketing, overcharging, girls robbing or settng you up, etc. but that doesnt equal not feeling safe to me.
    it's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imrealareyou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

My first trip I was in SD checking out the cathederal. A well dressed guy approached and said he worked for Tourism Dept and had ID. He showed me around and explained the works of art. When I was leaving he walked with me the three blocks to my hotel, talking. Then he wanted money. He explained that while he did work for Tourism he only received tips. I sent him on his way telling him that if he was going to expect money he should have told me that upfront.

The lesson is just say "No gracias" to anyone that approaches you offering to help you with anything. I prefer traveling with a local or experienced ex-pat but only one I know. Weyland is very experienced but he walks to damn fast!!

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    Weyland is very experienced but he walks to damn fast!!
    He definitely has a pep in his step, that one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I prefer traveling with a local or experienced ex-pat but only one I know. Weyland is very experienced but he walks too damn fast!
    At the age of 70 I want to make sure I get to my destination before I either drop dead in the street or forget where I was supposed to be going.

I certainly fall into your "local" ex-pat category but not into your "experienced" one. I am still at the early learning stage on how to survive in the DR, let alone thrive in the DR.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,378 Times in 13,907 Posts

My first trip I was in SD checking out the cathederal. A well dressed guy approached and said he worked for Tourism Dept and had ID. He showed me around and explained the works of art. When I was leaving he walked with me the three blocks to my hotel, talking. Then he wanted money. He explained that while he did work for Tourism he only received tips. I sent him on his way telling him that if he was going to expect money he should have told me that upfront.

The lesson is just say "No gracias" to anyone that approaches you offering to help you with anything. I prefer traveling with a local or experienced ex-pat but only one I know. Weyland is very experienced but he walks to damn fast!!
    That is correct. The old city is full of tourist guides trained by the dept of tourism, who work for tips only.

The idea is to use them, instead of hustlers. They usually do the whole walking tour with you for a couple of dollars, and are full of interesting facts and info.

It goes without saying however, that if a person is going to spend all that time showing you around, you should be offering them something for their time. Did you think they do that kind of thing for free?
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imrealareyou View Post
    i guess it just matters on where you at, where you been and what you have seen. i just dont think sosua is dangerous at all. its grimey as far as pick pocketing, overcharging, girls robbing or settng you up, etc. but that doesnt equal not feeling safe to me.
    I agree, i have never felt unsafe there yet in any of my trips there.. i have gone out late at night early morning solo walking around 5AM by the After one club and still never felt unsafe. I am probably more worried about a chica trying to steal something from me than anything else. I just use many precautions to try and prevent that.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    That is correct. The old city is full of tourist guides trained by the dept of tourism, who work for tips only.

The idea is to use them, instead of hustlers. They usually do the whole walking tour with you for a couple of dollars, and are full of interesting facts and info.

It goes without saying however, that if a person is going to spend all that time showing you around, you should be offering them something for their time. Did you think they do that kind of thing for free?
    It was my very first trip and I had no idea he worked only for tips. If I had known he wanted money in the beginning I would have declined his assistance.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,378 Times in 13,907 Posts

It was my very first trip and I had no idea he worked only for tips. If I had known he wanted money in the beginning I would have declined his assistance.
    I hear ya.

But don't get me wrong. You're not the first to do the whole walk around thing with one, then walk away without giving them anything.

They should be able to communicate upfront that they do walking tours for a small fee.. If they can't do that, they need to go back and study some more.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,686 Times in 501 Posts

great stuff here..

I usually ignore people saying "Hi my friend, where are u from?" or anyone for that matter who approaches me.

People have said I dont smile much and looked pissed off, might be might goat tee I have or whatever. But I usually walk by them all and ignore.

My freaking wingman and best buddy has crashed early and left me out alone many a time in Sosua. I never had any problems. I do drink Presidentes and mamajuana shots, But I usually keep to myself.

So are we in agreement that the best thing to do is simply ignore these "Hi my friend " people..be it guy or street rat chicas?

Some give me back dirty looks. But fuck em'.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevereds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevereds View Post
    People have said I dont smile much and looked pissed off, might be might goat tee I have or whatever. But I usually walk by them all and ignore.
    You sorta smile!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by congo1986 View Post
    Ok, Im a big guy, and I definitely think that works in my favor. I really havent had any problems here, save for one incident where I got mobbed by tons of chicas, and a few other times that I almost got ripped off. But last night I was going to dinner with one of my favorite chicas here, and when I left the New Garden Hotel with her, I saw a local guy that I see every now and then around here. I said "hi" and "buenos noches" to him. Seemed friendly enough. Well, I walked with my chica all the way down from NG past the classicos, and to a little resteraunt. I sit down with her, and this guy has followed me the entire way without me knowing. He sits down next to us, and asks me for a cigarrette. I think, what the hell, and give him one cuz me and the girl are smoking too. I figured he just happened to be coming the same direction, liked our company, and wanted a smoke with us. Ok, we finish the smoke, and then he asks me for 100 pesos. I say No, and tell him Im not just giving out money to everyone. I look over the menu, but notice this guy is really eyeballing me. I look up and he is staring right at my face with a blank expression. I look down at the menu, trying to read but feeling very distracted, and glance up again in a min to see that he is still staring at me with that blank stare, looking at my eyes. I ask him, hey man, we good? Bueno? He says Si, we are good, but he keeps staring at me.

I start to feel more and more unconfortable, because this guy is not leaving, and I even told him that I just want to chill with my girl alone. I start to get the feeling that this guy is going to shank me with a knife of something. I stand up, and ask him whats going on. The guy is looking kinda sweaty, still staring at my face with that blank stare, making no attempt at moving despite me telling him I wanted to be alone with my girl. Finally he leaves, and it didnt look right for some reason. So the rest of the night, I watch my back pretty close, and make sure not to drink too much.

Some people are pretty desperate for money here I think. I dont want to be an example for you guys or anyone else, to be careful here. Watch your back, especially if you dont have a good reliable wingman. My girl is really cool, but I know she doesnt have the muscle or threatening look that a good wingman will have for you. Im glad that nothing happened, but it really unnerved me. When I had to stand up out of my chair in the resteraunt because I felt that threatened, I was ready to defend myself. Thank God I am a big MoFo.

What you guys think? Similar experiences here?
    btw im fairly new to this site but ive been to sosua at least 10 times since 2005 and would like to know which thread or link to go to where there might be a hall of shame. i would like to avoid the undesirables and at the same time post the 2 or 3 women that i know have done my friends or i wrong. i would appreciate it thabks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PHIL007 View Post
    btw im fairly new to this site but ive been to sosua at least 10 times since 2005 and would like to know which thread or link to go to where there might be a hall of shame. i would like to avoid the undesirables and at the same time post the 2 or 3 women that i know have done my friends or i wrong. i would appreciate it thabks.
    There's a "Hall of Shame" in the premium section of the site.

Thanks

Hey tonytnt40, have u ever been to cuba. i met a guy from the USA in cuba who showed me around and i remember he told me he was often in DR

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirbus View Post
    Hey tonytnt40, have u ever been to cuba? i met a guy from the USA in cuba who showed me around and i remember he told me he was often in DR.
    An American who is often in the DR? That's too much of a coincidence. There cannot be two of those around! It's got to be TONYTNT40!
    Last edited by weyland; 07-04-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,909 Times in 1,445 Posts

I been to a few latin countrys including Argentina, Mexico, Paraguay, Brasil, Puerto rico, Costa rica, Peru and a few more.
    And I have to say this, from my first experiences I got very paranoid and it can drive you crazy and make you see thugs all over the damn place.
    Last 5 years I just walk around very confident and I am nice to certain ppl and will brush off some others, knock on wood that I Never had any more probs since I got Wiser and used more of that so called common sense.
    The only major prob I ever had while travelling In Barcelona Spain, got mugged by 2 teenagers and I was scared to even attempt to punch any of them since I had 2 knives against my ribcage.
    Now finally Goin to Sosua March 2011, and by what I read it looks like a very relaxed place.
    Last edited by vewdew; 07-04-2010 at 01:34 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vewdew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

Lots of tough talk but...

It might be wise to place yourself in their shoes sometimes...

Here are a few tips:

1. Do not panic unnecesarily, these people for the most part are just trying to make a living...

2. Start out polite, just a simple 'no gracias' will do wonders in most cases. Be polite but firm.

3. When this doesn't work, walk away, there is no need to confront everyone on the street.

4. Only as a last resort when 2 and 3 fail, can you justifiably become more firm. Even then don't overdo it (or you might end up being beatin in a backroom in the disco) because it will be remembered.

5. Sosua is a small place, to step softly and avoiding confrontations is much better strategy most of the time.

Lastly, bear in mind that the tourists have created this situation by giving handouts in the past, thus teaching the Dominicans that it is better to beg in the street then to get an education and work... we are at least partly responsible for this!

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 887 Posts

. My friend you have that place down to a science!

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    At the age of 70 I want to make sure I get to my destination before I either drop dead in the street or forget where I was supposed to be going.

I certainly fall into your "local" ex-pat category but not into your "experienced" one. I am still at the early learning stage on how to survive in the DR, let alone thrive in the DR.

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

If you speak any Spanish you also have to be selective of when you use it. As my Spanish has improved sometimes I only speak Spanish there even to those that speak English. Sometimes however, I learned that this brings uninvited "amigos" when you acknowledge them at all in Spanish. It's fun to practice there, but the best rule is unless you know some local dudes and determined that they are ok, just practice with more chicas if you want to use your Spanish skills.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    ... sometimes I only speak Spanish there even to those that speak English. Sometimes however, I learned that this brings uninvited "amigos" when you acknowledge them at all in Spanish.
    Good point. I always shrug off pests with "Soy ruso". One day I suppose I will get called out on it but useful so far.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information